Physical theme deck code vs online unlock with coins

OsMoFFZA

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the TCGO universe. I still have my 1st gen Pokemon cards that I collected when I was in school. Many years passed and all these new decks and stuff was quite a learning curve recently. 

The Girlfriend and I decided to buy some theme decks to restart the hobby.

We purchased the following Theme decks and 2 booster packs:

• Zacian (S&SRC)
  • Zamazenta (S&SRC)
  • Darmanitan (S&SDA)
  • Sirfetch'D (S&SDA)
  • x1 Rebel Clash booster
  • x1 Darkness Ablaze booster

We claimed the online codes to unlock the theme decks on TCGO and grinding the Trainer challenges (almost have 500coins). 

My question: What happens if you use your 500 coins to unlock one of the Theme decks online and then purchase the same physical deck and use the online code. do you then get 2 of the same decks to use online? which would be a bit of a waste imo.

Theme decks purchased with coins are locked from being traded while those redeemed from codes are tradable.

When you buy or redeem a Theme deck for the first time all cards as well as the coin are added to your collection. When you buy or redeem a deck you already own you will get it as an unopened product added to the Booster section of your collection (Decks redeemed from codes definitely do that, I don't know about in-game shop decks, but since you cannot trade them the only thing you could do would be opening them anyways).

Also in the Trainer Challenge you are able to battle against AI trainers with your redeemed/ purchased decks. If you win against 12 different trainers you get a free booster from the set your Theme deck is from. This only works once for each deck, so having more than one copy of the same deck doesn't give you any benefit in that regard.

The main reason to buy more than one deck is if you need a card for another deck you want to build more often than it is in the Theme deck. (For example buying the new Charizard deck twice to have 4 copies of Charizard and Delion for building a Standard deck)

Regarding your exact question: If you buy a deck in the online shop and then redeem the same deck from a code, you get your Theme deck as an unopened product which can be traded. And since most Theme deck codes are worth a few irl bucks those are worth more than your standard run-of-the-mill booster pack.

Edited by OelBoy
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, OelBoy said:

Theme decks purchased with coins are locked from being traded while those redeemed from codes are tradable.

When you buy or redeem a Theme deck for the first time all cards as well as the coin are added to your collection. When you buy or redeem a deck you already own you will get it as an unopened product added to the Booster section of your collection (Decks redeemed from codes definitely do that, I don't know about in-game shop decks, but since you cannot trade them the only thing you could do would be opening them anyways).

Also in the Trainer Challenge you are able to battle against AI trainers with your redeemed/ purchased decks. If you win against 12 different trainers you get a free booster from the set your Theme deck is from. This only works once for each deck, so having more than one copy of the same deck doesn't give you any benefit in that regard.

The main reason to buy more than one deck is if you need a card for another deck you you want to build more often than it is in the Theme deck. (For example buying the new Charizard deck to have 4 copies of Charizard and Delion for building a Standard deck)

Regarding your exact question: If you buy a deck in the online shop and then redeem the same deck from a code, you get your Theme deck as an unopened product which can be traded. And since most Theme deck codes are worth a few irl bucks those are worth more than your standard run-of-the-mill booster pack.

Thanks for the in depth reply, I appreciate it. 🤘

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OelBoy said:

The main reason to buy more than one deck is if you need a card for another deck you you want to build more often than it is in the Theme deck. (For example buying the new Charizard deck to have 4 copies of Charizard and Delion for building a Standard deck)

Hello  @OelBoy

Thank you for helping out the fellow trainer @OsMoFFZA with your useful answers! :)