mthverse

Competent Deck Lists

mthverse

Please, I am tired of wasting my tickets in tournaments. I build meta after meta deck and I can't get past round 1. Please don't recommend theme deck tournaments. They are just as bad! 

PinkyPockyPanda

Are your meta decks Completed?

Maybe try Expand instead of Standard, the deck might be easier to build.

And try listing cards that you already have.

• Like 1

OelBoy

All I can say is practice, practice, practice. I build many decks and it always takes some time to get the hang of it. Sometimes there are combinations or plays which are all but apparent, sometimes you will find you have to make some minor tweaks to suit your playstyle. Try thinking 2 or 3 turns ahead. Also regarding Theme decks you should memorize the most played decks so you know what you're up against and how to mitigate their game-plan.

If all fails, build an ADPZ deck as it takes barely any skill to go 50/50 with it. You will need skill to go 80/20, though! :D

• Upvote 1

mthverse

Practice is pointless in a card games, it's all random chance! If no one has a deck list, then don't reply.

• Downvote 4

Kek01
2 hours ago, mthverse said:

Practice is pointless in a card games, it's all random chance! If no one has a deck list, then don't reply.

Practice in trading card games is very important, unlike ones simply based off of random chance like most card games with a deck of standard playing cards. If you have played other TCG's you'll notice how important sequencing is. Across all the major TCG's, Pokemon TCG probably has the most important/difficult sequencing to master. As OelBoy said, it doesn't matter what deck you have if you don't know how to play the archetype. If you're losing meta deck after meta deck in tournaments, what about the people winning them? They're using all the same cards that are available to you as well (and if you don't have them in your collection, you can trade for them). 

To answer your original question however, google is your best friend, you can find many tournament winning decks, which transitively means you should be able to use them to win ptcgo tournaments.

Edited by Kek01
  • Upvote 2

PinkyPockyPanda
7 hours ago, mthverse said:

You misunderstood the word "practice".

"Practice" in card games are not about improving physical skill, unless one that try to cheat. But rather to increase knowledge and experience.

Know yourself (your deck)

- what kinds of combo you have available

- which combo is work under which situation

- what is your deck weaknest

- when and how to avoid an unfavor situation

- etc

Know your opponent (deck)

- What kind of deck he/she using

- What combo he/she has

- What trick they were planning to do

- How can you win with your deck

- etc

• Upvote 2

guruguy87

I would recommend theme deck tournaments. lol. Better chance of winning then continuing to lose with meta deck after meta deck as you say. Or you can try build various single prize decks, learn how to play ADPZ to the best of your ability (it is a proven winning deck)... some solid suggestions already given to you. Not everything is going to be handed to you on a silver platter with a winning deck-list that says "here you go champ, go win". Sometimes it requires more work, practice and knowing what works best for you and for each matchup you are playing against. I would truly recommend not playing standard tournaments tho if you aren't winning in them. Define WHY you aren't winning. Take a deeper look at your list or a deeper look at your gameplay. There is more going on than just "my meta deck after meta deck keeps losing". lol. For all these reasons above mostly if I were in your situation I would stick to theme deck tournaments. I play quite a bit of theme myself since they don't cost 8 tickets and I have a good win % in theme tournaments. (and of course i enjoy playing it). Overall if theme or standard isn't for you either then try out expanded as a last option? Or just maybe this game isn't for you. And that is okay. Pokemon trading card game is not for everyone. Some people it just isn't a good fit for their personality or etc. 

• Upvote 1

GrimBeard
On 11/19/2020 at 5:38 AM, mthverse said:

If no one has a deck list, then don't reply.

Personally, I don't see any point. I get the impression that you've already announced via response you're not looking for help despite asking for it, open minded or in a position to be helped - all of which is needed to get to where you seemingly want to be. I may be wrong and I hope I am.

Anyway, someone basically has provided what you asked for - the quote below.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:53 AM, OelBoy said:

If all fails, build an ADPZ deck as it takes barely any skill to go 50/50 with it. You will need skill to go 80/20, though! :D

I know it's not a "deck listing" but I'll repeat @OelBoy - Use the ADPZ deck. The full deck listing is wildly available online. 

Hope you have a good day and a fantastic life. All the best.

Edited by GrimBeard

Raticate555
14 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

a winning deck-list that says "here you go champ, go win"

Ask and you shall receive!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
* 2 **********igzagoon SSH 117
* 2 Garchomp & Giratina-GX UNM 146
* 1 Naganadel & Guzzlord-GX CEC 158
* 1 Noibat UNM 158
* 1 Noivern-GX BUS 99
* 1 Comfey GRI 93
* 1 Sudowoodo GRI 66
* 1 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 1 Dedenne-GX UNB 195
* 1 Tapu Koko {*} TEU 51

##Trainer Cards - 39

* 1 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Pokémon Ranger STS 113
* 3 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 2 Chaotic Swell CEC 187
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 3 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 4 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Great Catcher CEC 192
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 1 Muscle Band XY 121
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 N DEX 96

##Energy - 7

* 3 Lightning Energy Energy 4
* 4 Double Dragon Energy ROS 97

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I forgotten how many tournaments I've won with this deck but it is a lot. If you know how to play this deck you won't lose very often. It only has 6 more days of play before bans though then you'll have to switch back to the Roxie version which is still pretty good. Beats basically everything except things like Honchkrow and a super well drawing Mad Party. ADPZ is an easy win.

Enjoy!

mthverse

Not Expanded!!!

• Downvote 3

Raticate555

Well, if you want something that can win with ease, expanded is the place to be.

My only thought for standard is ADPZ. It is just the best, no question. Easy to play, easy to win with. Play that and you still will waste a few tickets but you'll win a lot more.

Beginners are actually quite lucky to be around in this format. The BDIF is easy to play and will, in the future, be more affordable. Back in my day as a beginner, we didn't have a completely broken deck that we could wallop good players with because we drew better.

Edited by Raticate555

ellomello044208
20 hours ago, Raticate555 said:

Well, if you want something that can win with ease, expanded is the place to be.

My only thought for standard is ADPZ. It is just the best, no question. Easy to play, easy to win with. Play that and you still will waste a few tickets but you'll win a lot more.

Beginners are actually quite lucky to be around in this format. The BDIF is easy to play and will, in the future, be more affordable. Back in my day as a beginner, we didn't have a completely broken deck that we could wallop good players with because we drew better.

Hearing this makes me a little sad. It's good for beginners to enter the game with a cheap option, but should that option be so powerful that skill is almost irrelevant in the face of a good draw?

• Upvote 1

Kek01
2 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

Hearing this makes me a little sad. It's good for beginners to enter the game with a cheap option, but should that option be so powerful that skill is almost irrelevant in the face of a good draw?

While I'm not particularly happy with the state of the meta in standard, it's not as bad as some make it out to be in my opinion. Sure ADPZ is very powerful but even a beginner can play a decidueye deck or other 1 prizers (vivid voltage charizard 1prize + Leon deck is so fun right now) to beat it. They're relatively cheap decks too, esp compared to ADPZ. 

guruguy87
On 11/21/2020 at 3:12 PM, Raticate555 said:

Back in my day as a beginner, we didn't have a completely broken deck that we could wallop good players with because we drew better.

haha, "back in my day". Love it! 
The state of the meta in standard is whack. Which might be another thing the OP is ultimately hinting at. I still play far more expanded and every time I go back to standard I always face the same few decks: Eternatus, ADPZ, Centiskorch, mew3 variants, Pikarom. There is little else on the ladder. ADPZ is just so ********** too. They setup for the boss boss game with many ways to build the deck to set that up easier. You know what would fix alot of standard though? A ranked ladder... One for "fun" and another ladder ranked for competition. All the fun decks can go be enjoyed in that fun ladder and all the meta decks (ADP especially) can go play on the ranked ladder. Proper matchups and placing opponents vs proper opponents. Yup. This is what is needed. You would find me more often experimenting with rogue decks on the fun ladder (and enjoying some unique decks others make too). Playing against the same stuff over and over and over again gets super duper stale and boring. You know what fix that though? A ranked ladder/two ladders. 

• Upvote 2