[GAMEPLAY] Masquerain 'Threatening Pattern' to ward off Welder?

Tentacoolaid23

Tentacoolaid23

I recently created a deck including Masquerain from Rebel Clash (011/192) which has the attack Threatening Pattern which has the effect:

'During your opponent's next turn, energy can't be attached from your opponent's hand to the defending pokemon'.

I thought this would be a great card to fend off the all powerful Welder supporter card from Unbroken Bonds (189/214) which states:

'Attach up to 2 [fire] energy cards from your hand to 1 of your Pokemon. If you do, draw 3 cards'.

I just played against a fire deck, and after I had used threatening pattern, they used a welder card and were still able to attach 2 energy cards from their hand to their defending Pokemon, which as you would expect knocked my poor Masquerain out to the moon and back!

So my question is, does a supporter card trump whatever the attacking pokemon's effect has on the defending pokemon, or is this just a glitch?

Edited by Mod_GuruLot
title updated to reflect the sub's format, tags and item prefix included

Did he use Switch to switch the Defending Pokemon out of the Active Spot BEFORE using Welder? 

If the effect is on the Defending Pokemon, and not either Player, the player on the opposite side of the one attacking can use a Switch, or even retreat to the Bench, THEN use Welder, as effects placed on the Defending Pokemon go away upon returning to the Bench, unless the wording on the card that placed the effect says otherwise... 

Therefore, no glitch here, but if the pokemon you were talking about was the new Shiftry...

Edited by Jammer87
Tentacoolaid23

Thanks @Jammer87

No they didn't use a switch as I guessed they would have done, which is what shocked me all the more.

From memory it was the Reshirard GX from unbroken bonds, and they just used the welder at the start of their turn. 

That sounds like a bug (haha) to me, unless there is some ruling at play here (which I couldn't find in the ruling compendium).

Since Welder doesn't use up your energy attachment for turn I guess it's implemented differently and Threatening Pattern not working is an oversight. Maybe you could try recreating the bug with a friend to get a game log. What would also be interesting is to see if cards like Bede have the same issue (which would substantiate my theory).

Mod_GuruLot
On 11/16/2020 at 3:34 PM, Tentacoolaid23 said:

I recently created a deck including Masquerain from Rebel Clash (011/192) which has the attack Threatening Pattern which has the effect:

'During your opponent's next turn, energy can't be attached from your opponent's hand to the defending pokemon'.

I thought this would be a great card to fend off the all powerful Welder supporter card from Unbroken Bonds (189/214) which states:

'Attach up to 2 [fire] energy cards from your hand to 1 of your Pokemon. If you do, draw 3 cards'.

I just played against a fire deck, and after I had used threatening pattern, they used a welder card and were still able to attach 2 energy cards from their hand to their defending Pokemon, which as you would expect knocked my poor Masquerain out to the moon and back!

So my question is, does a supporter card trump whatever the attacking pokemon's effect has on the defending pokemon, or is this just a glitch?

Hello @Tentacoolaid23

We welcome you to the forums! 

The scenario you describe is worthwhile taking a further look into. 

Please update this thread with a game log if you have saved it so that the development team can help.

Thank you!