Um prize awards changed in tournaments?

guruguy87

Mini rant here... not a fan... It went from winning a few random standard boosters to now only vivid voltage? Is this normal? Did pokemon intend this or is this a bug? Seems odd to me because for the longest time hasn't it been you get random extra boosters in addition to the ones from the newest set? I know for expanded tournaments you used to be able to win expanded boosters which was a very cool reward. Now you only get vivid voltage. Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on vivid voltage. I like the new set, just saying that more options for boosters is nicer than all just being the same vivid voltage. Why did it change? What's going on? I'm not a fan. How am I going to obtain expanded boosters other than in the store? (That was one of my ways that obtained fun cards from expanded) Anyone else agree with me? Go back to the way it was. People are going to have a hefty stockpile of all the cards from vivid voltage if this continues... sort of sways the card pool to be "more vivid voltage" too... instead of more variety. Options and variety are GOOD FOR THE GAME. Having the same packs for every prize isn't as good for the game. It's almost as if pokemon is promoting to be going in the direction of every deck will be ADPZ (league battle deck coming out) and every other deck will comprise of many vivid voltage cards. lol. Jeez. Change it back please or at least change it back within a month-ish. Not a fan. :( 

• Downvote 5

"...the random booster rewards for finishing 1st-4th place in tournaments will be replaced by guaranteed boosters from Sword & Shield—Vivid Voltage starting on November 13 at noon (PDT)! Tournament rewards will revert to a mix of boosters from the latest expansion and random boosters on November 30 at noon (PDT)..." - "Sword & Shield—Vivid Voltage boosters available as tournament rewards!" by TPCi_Mathis via pokemontcg forums.

Edited by GrimBeard
No links are allowed... I think...?
  • Upvote 1

THANK YOU. :) Appreciate it. I don't read the announcements section of the forum inside here enough... Sounds like it is all under control nicely. Taking my pills now and calming down. lol. 

Edited by guruguy87
meds/pills
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

Mini rant here... not a fan... It went from winning a few random standard boosters to now only vivid voltage? Is this normal?

Yes.  I think they've been doing this since the XY-era, but for sure since sometime in the Sun & Moon-era.  When a new expansion releases, they temporarily make it so that all the online tournaments (Events) give out just that new booster pack.  The exception is when it is a set that isn't available as individual booster packs or booster boxes, like Champion's Path.

@GrimBeard  I know you're not the OP, but I cannot directly quote the bit to which I wanted to respond, hence tagging you.

No links are allowed... I think...?

The short answer is that links to official Pokémon sites - as in, those owned and operated by TPCi - are allowed.  Even a website owned and operated by employees of TPCi, endorsed by them, aren't allowed.  Let me see if I can link to the official post here.  Sometimes, I think the safeguards put into the links don't always work properly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

THANK YOU. :) Appreciate it.

No prob 😁

5 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

Taking my pills now and calming down. lol.

😆 Made me chuckle , thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Otakutron said:

The short answer is that links to official Pokémon sites - as in, those owned and operated by TPCi - are allowed.  Even a website owned and operated by employees of TPCi, endorsed by them, aren't allowed.  Let me see if I can link to the official post here.  Sometimes, I think the safeguards put into the links don't always work properly.

Yeah that's what I thought but then questioned the link I used and decided to play it safe and just delete the link (the official post).

Edited by GrimBeard
Fixing line spacing.
  • Like 2

GrimBeard and Otakutron already cleared up the situation, so I want to throw out a little off-topic

I am rarely participate in Tournaments, usually I wait until I have like 64 or even 80 tickets and then instead of one Tournament I'm just doing several back-to-back. My reasoning behind this is: spending 8 tickets just to be brutally crushed in the first round and getting almost nothing as a prize, and having to collect all those 8 tickets again for a several days is totally uncool, but if you get yourself first or second place right after that - losing first time seems not that sad, and doing like 8-10 Tournaments in a row is boosting up chances not to meet the same deck you've been crushed by in previous try. So, after doing those eight or ten Tournaments, I'd actually be happy to get as a prize only the most recent tradable Booster Packs, instead of weird mix between some very new packs, some new packs and some old packs. I mean if you desperately want old cards - you can get them in shop, everybody could easily buy trade-locked Booster Packs of any available expansion using coins (and coins you can farm infinite amount, as many as you want, getting 5 coins for every win starting from 12th, while amount of tickets you can farm is finite and limited). Winning against real people in three rounds giving you only the most recent tradable packs (so to speak "currency for trades") as a prize - seems pretty logical and practical to me. I kinda wish developers made these changes for tournament's prizes permanent, not just for a couple weeks after new expansion came out. But that all is just my opinion.

My suggestion to you would be to play with a better deck. You likely don't have a deck that is "ready" to win tournaments although in your mind the deck is good. There is a difference between champion decks that win a high % of tournaments vs simply a good deck. You will discover how truly good your deck is from keeping strong statistics of your ladder play. When you have a deck in the 70% win ratio you have a tournament ready deck. (should be even a bit higher really) If you have a 60% ratio deck you have what is considered to be a good deck, but not always tournament ready. You can also fine tune and pick the correct techs and fill empty spots with better cards by more playtesting to make a good deck into a tournament ready deck. This is truly something alot of players I don't think grasp very well. Since I look at some of the lists for tournament being held (like the sunday open, etc. various others) and they aren't all that impressive. Some even seem quickly put together as a "fun deck"... Those fun decks should be tested further and enhanced to the point where they can be deemed tournament ready, not just thrown into a tourney. At least that is how I would play it. The deck I took into the players cup I was so nervous kept testing and testing beforehand and tweaking things to make it as best as possible. Even then I wonder if I had the "best version" since I didn't qualify. (altaria/goon/persian) was my decklist that I mainly used. No joke at all I had a huge advantage vs ADP, Pikarom, Lucario/Zacian... anti meta deck that i felt gave me a good chance to make the players cup. Thing is I already wasted some other entry spots on mediocre decks like whimsicott gx and my firebox. So it was too little too late and just barely missed qualifying. I do feel I learned from the experience to not waste any entries in future. 

As far as having a deck ready for expanded tournaments I been doing extremely well with my ADPZ copperajah version. The single prize allows to keep pace with some other single prize decks that hit hard. The only real bad matchups I face our night march and mad party, but I pop in a sweet tech of Xurkitree GX to turn those usual auto losses into auto wins assuming they aren't playing any more energy other than special energy (and if I bench nobody else). Another big (the biggest) struggle I have is the BROKEN ultra necrozma deck as it is extremely good. The card designers intended for ultra necrozma to not be able to attack unless your opponent has 2 of fewer prize cards remaining because the attack is THAT GOOD. Then silent lab in expanded just breaks it wide open and garbadoor to ensure the ability it shut off and you can attack with it for a single double dragon energy. Still think it is kind of silly and I did truly possibly expect a ban on something to limit the deck, but no ban has come around this time. Most of my 2nd place finishes or round 1 losses are all to THAT DECK. lol. I see these garbodoor trashalanche with dragapult being played quite a bit in expanded too lately and I recon they are very good too, but it is a good matchup most of the time for my ADPZ. They bench those 2 prizes and its an easy festival of boss boss game as all know all too well. :)