imnotemo

Competitive Modes on PTCGO

eNSamity

I recently started playing PTCGO again whilst also playing another new card game Legends of Runeterra. PTCGO feels a lot more casual regarding the versus ladder as opposed to the refined lp and tier system on Runeterra. Runeterra also receieves bi weekly patches to the game including adding cosmetics and i feel that same care is lacking on PTCGO. The Runeterra developers also take in community feedback and comeback better whilst at the same time being a new team compared to PTCGO which has been out for a long time. 

I am dissaponted in the lack of care of this game because albeit casual it is also fun with having regualar expansions so often and collecting. The shop never has anything updated like ever, the events i like but ultimately there is no real incentive to play versus ladder when its supposed to be a competitive gamemode. I hope the devs do something about this as it would make the game amazing or else it will fall short to up and coming online card games which will eventually surpass it to the point even the loyal players will leave.

There are so many things that could be used to improve the game but as a community we at least need a competitive ranked tier system so it at least keeps up with other modern online card games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

imnotemo
16 minutes ago, eNSamity said:

I recently started playing PTCGO again whilst also playing another new card game Legends of Runeterra. PTCGO feels a lot more casual regarding the versus ladder as opposed to the refined lp and tier system on Runeterra. Runeterra also receieves bi weekly patches to the game including adding cosmetics and i feel that same care is lacking on PTCGO. The Runeterra developers also take in community feedback and comeback better whilst at the same time being a new team compared to PTCGO which has been out for a long time. 

I am dissaponted in the lack of care of this game because albeit casual it is also fun with having regualar expansions so often and collecting. The shop never has anything updated like ever, the events i like but ultimately there is no real incentive to play versus ladder when its supposed to be a competitive gamemode. I hope the devs do something about this as it would make the game amazing or else it will fall short to up and coming online card games which will eventually surpass it to the point even the loyal players will leave.

There are so many things that could be used to improve the game but as a community we at least need a competitive ranked tier system so it at least keeps up with other modern online card games.

Legends of Runeterra is a beautifully designed game! TPCI has never shown plans for PTCGO to ever improve. We don't know why they care so little about the game. Its really upsetting as someone who has been a pokemon tcg fan since 1999 and a content creator trying to share the game with the world since 2017. I've made many attempts to get an answer from TPCI as to why they put forth so little effort for PTCGO and to implore them to give the community what we want. I am very happy they've done things like the Players Cup and Team Challenge, but we really just want a simple monthly ranked ladder with minimal rewards and maybe to integrate that into the players cup. 

• Upvote 2

eNSamity
17 hours ago, imnotemo said:

Legends of Runeterra is a beautifully designed game! TPCI has never shown plans for PTCGO to ever improve. We don't know why they care so little about the game. Its really upsetting as someone who has been a pokemon tcg fan since 1999 and a content creator trying to share the game with the world since 2017. I've made many attempts to get an answer from TPCI as to why they put forth so little effort for PTCGO and to implore them to give the community what we want. I am very happy they've done things like the Players Cup and Team Challenge, but we really just want a simple monthly ranked ladder with minimal rewards and maybe to integrate that into the players cup. 

I respect what you're doing though, maybe if enough of us speak up they will eventually take us seriously. Can only hope.

Mod_GuruLot
On 11/10/2020 at 8:01 PM, imnotemo said:

As a competitive player of the Pokemon TCG both with physical cards and in the online game, I find that Pokemon TCG Online has become a mundane and unrewarding experience due to the lack of versus game modes available; namely there is no ranked ladder for an online competitive experience. I have personally witnessed other online card games and strategy games gain viewers, customers, and competitors due to the excitement and competitive nature of playing versus other players of similar rank in ranked playlists to battle to get to the top of the online rankings for glory, personal achievement, and rewards. 

I unfortunately find myself losing ambition to play PTCGO due to the monotony of playing versus players of varying skill levels with no visible rank or indication of what my skill level is. While the Players Cup events and Team Challenge events are great additions to tournaments to look forward to, not having a daily competitive ladder for the formats available on PTCGO is disappointing. I am honestly baffled how one of the top trading card games in the world still doesn’t have ranked modes for any of the formats on their online client. The Pokemon TCG is a game I enjoy very much, and I would love to see it succeed more than it already has with new audiences, especially online in this age of Esports and competitive online gaming. I would also love to be able to compete in ranked playlists for standard, expanded, and legacy formats on Pokemon TCG Online to battle to reach higher ranks.

If I could suggest what a ranked mode might look like, anything similar to other popular games' ranked ladders would be fine. PTCGO is developed by Dire Wolf Digital who also developed Eternal Card Game, since Eternal Card Game has ranked modes I assume that this is something the PTCGO developer is capable of doing. Eternal's ranked modes look like this:

"Winning or losing games in Ranked mode contributes to a player's position in a tiered ranking system. These ranks, in ascending order, are Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond, and Master. Bronze through Diamond are divided into tiers of I, II, and III, I being the highest.

Ranking position is tracked in points; each win or loss will add or subtract 10-20 points. Tiers are broken up into 100-point increments, passing that threshold raises the player's rank to the next tier.

Losing games will never bring you down in rank (e.g. from Silver to Bronze). Losing can reduce your tier within a rank (e.g. from Silver II to Silver III), but this will not happen within the first three games after moving up a tier.

Each player's rank and tier is visible in Ranked matches.

After reaching Master, players are placed into a leaderboard where further wins and loses contribute to each player's position within it.

The Leaderboards screen displays the current top 100 players".

Please consider bringing ranked standard and ranked expanded modes to pokemon tcg online. 

Hello @imnotemo

We welcome you to the forums! :)  Thank you for sharing your suggestion with us.

Your idea of "bringing ranked standard and ranked expanded modes to pokemon tcg online." has been forwarded to the development team for further review. 

Jontxu2D

Has this game ever gotten any actual content update besides the bare minimum keeping up with the physical game? I've been playing since like 2014 and I'm pretty sure the game looks exactly the same with no new modes or anything else whatsoever. It's sad Nintendo doesn't see the value in a good card game client after hearthstone when even MTG finally got it together and released a proper client.

• Upvote 3

WingsofFire1014

Okay. I'm going to make a really bold comparison here, not saying its true at all, but over the years, great posts like these make me think of a comparison using similarity.

Nintendo VS EA

I know, this isn't the place to talk about other companies, but what I want to point out is that EA also really doesn't give players what they request\want when its obvious that the things will be a great addition to the said game.

Now, let me point out before I keep going that Nintendo is nowhere as bad as EA, but, like I said, they each have flaws when it comes to taking ideas\listening to communities and THIS is the ONLY comparison I'm making between the two.

So where am I going with this? Well, I just don't want the PTCGO (like it maybe already has), to end up like other games with decently sized fan-bases who consistently propose great ideas and who's ideas are just sort of brushed off in a way. We do have no proof yes, but after all these years, it be can assumed that most ideas around here are not taken. Trust me, games can quickly run themselves downhill when the company is just ignoring their community. I've seen it happen.

I've never seen anything like this before, so I took it to myself to mention it.

I 100% wish the best for this game, and all I want it to be is successful, so that is why I even bother to say all this.

Like I said, that was the ONLY comparison, so please, if your going to respond, don't go comparing other things if they aren't in any way applicable because that would get this thread locked and I don't want that. If you didn't even know who EA was, you at least have a general idea now through the comparison.

I checked all of the rules before posting this (lol) and I don't believe I violated anything.

• Like 2

icarusking

Please it would make the game so much better.

• Upvote 1

GrimBeard
On 11/11/2020 at 4:01 AM, imnotemo said:

Nobody looks at the ptcgo leaderboards top 10 and says "wow these are people who understand the meta, play a lot, and perform consistently"

I've honestly never even looked at the ptcgo leaderboard.

KanyeSouthWest

Yes Pokemon Company please add a ranked mode!

Mod_GuruLot
On 11/22/2020 at 10:09 PM, icarusking said:

Please it would make the game so much better.

@icarusking, thank you for sharing your opinion with the forum. 

4 minutes ago, KanyeSouthWest said:

Yes Pokemon Company please add a ranked mode!

@KanyeSouthWest, I've passed along your suggestion. 

@icarusking and @KanyeSouthWest, we welcome both of you to the forums!

KanyeSouthWest
Just now, Mod_GuruLot said:

@icarusking, thank you for sharing your opinion with the forum. 

@KanyeSouthWest, I've passed along your suggestion. 

@icarusking and @KanyeSouthWest, we welcome both of you to the forums!

can you also pass along that the new update is not installing correctly on macOS Catalina. goes to 50% on the refresher, enters unpacking state then goes to error installing

• Downvote 1

Megas391

I've been playing PTCGO on and off since 2016, I used to play IRL, but I've moved around a lot the past few years and its hard to find solid tournaments or locations, and since COVID IRL is pretty much non-existent. This game always draws me back in and I've become more of a collector these days and I love being able to play with the same sets I collect while keeping my real cards in great condition, but the online format hasn't changed very much. Id have to agree that the personal versus ladder is really underwhelming, I appreciate what the Pokemon Company is doing in Pokemon GO during covid and I'd love to see that kind of attention given to PTCGO. Some sort of ranked leaderboard in game would be nice and perhaps a league system for varying skill levels.

But in these uncertain times its also glad to know that somethings never change.

Mod_Jynthu
On 12/15/2020 at 3:19 PM, KanyeSouthWest said:

can you also pass along that the new update is not installing correctly on macOS Catalina. goes to 50% on the refresher, enters unpacking state then goes to error installing

Hello KanyeSouthWest,

It appears that you also posted on another thread about this. If you have any additional trouble, please update that thread.

@Megas391 Thank you for sharing your feedback! I have passed along your suggestions for an in-game ranked leaderboard and a league system.

Mod_GuruLot
On 12/15/2020 at 9:19 PM, KanyeSouthWest said:

@KanyeSouthWest, please follow on this topic with me here to avoid posting off-topic comments on other unrelated threads. Thank you!

darkness018

I been playing since the beta so it would be nice to a way to earn rewards after completing the ladder or doing tournaments since it’s so hard to get tickets now days but since I been playing since the beta and not many modes been added I wouldn’t hold my breath on them actually adding a ranked mode or any other modes after all these years 

Toornac

I'm also convinced that a ranked mode would add more value to this game. You have all in your hands to attract new players... Funny gameplay, nice cards, please add a competitive mode :)

nekoshounen

I quit the game 3 years ago because of just this reason, but to be honest I've gone full circle, i find HS/Runeterra/Magic experience to be generally way more toxic than Pokémon, and therefore i'm back for good, yeah I'd love to see PTCGO to get competitive, especially since with Covid no paper matches are going on, but yeah Pokémon Community > any other TCG I've played.

I missed this place and am glad to be back <3