imnotemo

Competitive Modes on PTCGO

Keebler-Guy

I have played Pokemon TCG competitively in real life for 3 years before the pandemic began. When the pandemic hit, I have not played PTCGO at all. There's no reason for me to play the versus ladder as there is no competitive incentive for me to do so. I have moved on to other card games like Legends of Runeterra and Hearthstone to enjoy a ranked mode where I can see my skill at the game improving. 

I love Pokemon TCG, but I do not love PTCGO. I think this simple change would be more than enough to bring me back into the game and playing regularly. Sword and Shield have a ranked mode, so why not PTCGO? I think everyone would welcome a ranked mode. Those uninterested could just stick to the normal versus ladder. It's a win-win inclusion the way I see it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

mez4ndres

Im just a PTCGO guy, i dont know where to play IRL in Chile but yes, i have a tendecy to drop the game just because of the lack of competitiveness, we really need a ranked ladder

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

killrnite

Very well put and something I agree whole heartedly with. I have lost interest in playing online due to PTCGO lacking a competitive ranking system.

Hopefully someone somewhere sees this and at least comments. 

• Like 1

TheCrusader4
27 minutes ago, Cheeto_WBO said:

I really like this idea, and I would love to see it happen, but I think the closest and best option is here (link is Pokémon Official)  https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/leaderboards/overall/

I would even take this as a "leaderboard" if there was a cap on the number of tournaments that can be played, like the Player Cup Qualifiers. But as it stands, it's just a measure of who has more tickets to burn in a given month, with absolutely zero reward or incentive to boot.

imnotemo
2 minutes ago, TheCrusader4 said:

I would even take this as a "leaderboard" if there was a cap on the number of tournaments that can be played, like the Player Cup Qualifiers. But as it stands, it's just a measure of who has more tickets to burn in a given month, with absolutely zero reward or incentive to boot.

Yeah, and the versus "leaderboard" is also who plays more lol Nobody looks at the ptcgo leaderboards top 10 and says "wow these are people who understand the meta, play a lot, and perform consistently" like they would for every other online game like TFT, Magic, Hearthstone, Legends of Runeterra, even Pokemon VGC. 

• Upvote 1

VegasPlayer

Part of the reason they don't have a ranked ladder might be that it is difficult to program the game to take into account what age division players are in in addition to win percentages to try to pair people closer to play level. That being said they may feel it a ranked ladder would mean that the top ranked players will typically all be in the masters division but we would still be better off pairing people by play level and just ignoring age division entirely. I wish they would also add more events to use the event tickets on, maybe some double elimination ones that actually cut to a top 8 or even just 32 player single elimination pods so at least it feels more like a tournament as opposed to just playing against 3 random players.

TheCrusader4
4 minutes ago, VegasPlayer said:

Part of the reason they don't have a ranked ladder might be that it is difficult to program the game to take into account what age division players are in in addition to win percentages to try to pair people closer to play level.

The VG Ranked Battles seem to work fine without taking age division into account. 

• Upvote 1

imnotemo
20 minutes ago, VegasPlayer said:

Part of the reason they don't have a ranked ladder might be that it is difficult to program the game to take into account what age division players are in in addition to win percentages to try to pair people closer to play level. That being said they may feel it a ranked ladder would mean that the top ranked players will typically all be in the masters division but we would still be better off pairing people by play level and just ignoring age division entirely. I wish they would also add more events to use the event tickets on, maybe some double elimination ones that actually cut to a top 8 or even just 32 player single elimination pods so at least it feels more like a tournament as opposed to just playing against 3 random players.

While this might be the terrible logic Nintendo/Pokemon would use, theres not a single online game I could think of that separates their players by age. Including the Pokemon Video Game ranked mode as someone else said. 

• Upvote 3

ksombrinha

I really think that PTCGO has a lot of potential to grow as an e-sport. Now with the Corona Virus situation we are seeing a lot of online tournaments (official and not officials) growing in number and quality.

But we need to be honest and say that the game client looks like a game from 10 years ago. It doesn't have a ranked ladder and I think that PTCG, despite being one of the greatest card games that we have, is probably the only one that isn't offering this feature. We can also talk about the illustrations of PTCGO's interface. They look amateur and aren't friendly to new players, even kids these days are used to play really beautiful games like Fortnite and even Fall Guys. Don't get me wrong there, the artwork of the cards is amazing, but the game's interface itself aren't attactive to the public.

So, in my opinion, we really need a ranked ladder and a better looking game interface.

Edited by ksombrinha
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

imnotemo
Just now, ksombrinha said:

I really think that PTCGO has a lot of potential to grow as an e-sport. Now with the Corona Virus situation we are seeing a lot of online tournaments (official and not officials) growing in number and quality.

But we need to be honest and say that the game client looks like a game from 10 years ago. It doesn't have a ranked ladder and I think that PTCG, despite being one of the greatest ************* we have, is probably the only one that isn't offering this feature. We can also talk about the illustrations of PTCGO's interface. They look amateur and aren't friendly to new players, even kids these days are used to play really beautiful games like Fortnite and even Fall Guys. Don't get me wrong there, the artwork of the cards is amazing, but the game's interface itself aren't attactive to the public.

So, in my opinion, we really need a ranked ladder and a better looking game interface.

Could I ask what got censored out here? 

ksombrinha
Just now, imnotemo said:

Could I ask what got censored out here? 

Some variations of card game, and i still don't know why. I edited the post.

imnotemo
Just now, ksombrinha said:

Some variations of card game, and i still don't know why. I edited the post.

Lol 

chris_stotts

I've played ptcgo ever since it first released and I just don't find it that fun anymore. I mainly only use it for testing and playing online tournaments that communities host. Ranked would be super nice to have and I'd definitely play way more. 

• Upvote 1

sArin1982

Plz give us a ranked ladder. It is so boring to find  a playable game at the moment. So many wins just cuz the opponent has a bad hand. I join the game to play, not to earn a hand full of coins cuz everyone ist instantly leaving the game.

Make PTCGO Great again:-)

• Upvote 2

DiegoDT

Hope they listen. It's about time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

faegesubsig

A ranked ladder would improve the client for both competitive and casual players. I know there is a hidden ELO, but both groups of players are nonetheless mixed together and the result is demotivating for everyone.

• Like 1

guruguy87

"A ranked ladder would improve the client for both competitive and casual players. I know there is a hidden ELO, but both groups of players are nonetheless mixed together and the result is demotivating for everyone." 

Exactly. I have been campaigning for this for a all of summer. Having a ranked ladder in addition to a more "casual fun ladder". It would make things far more fun for those casual "fun" players who just want to mess around with some unique decks or if they have a limited collection. Currently too often new players with few cards can get matched up against a high elo player with all the bling cards and supremely perfected decklists. This gives them very little chance and it gives very little competition to that high elo player. This simply should not be happening. A ranked ladder AND a secondary fun ladder would fix all issues. Making it highly competitive for players who wish to be highly competitive and making it fun for players who only play the game casually and don't care as much about winning all the time (or if they exploring with new rogue deck ideas with lesser quality cards than the meta). I don't know why every single post that has been made on this and petition after petition by stephane ivanhoff and other top players of the game has just gone ignored and "passed along to the development team". Pass it along to the TPCI team that is the BOSS of the development and get it actually setup! Get it done folks. You are pokemon. The largest international game of any game on the planet. You can do so much better than this. I would gleefully await the days when this is actually implemented. The game would go from fairly boring to suddenly exciting and "something more to play for" with various modes. Sometimes I'm that fun playing testing out various unique rogue decks, but most of the time I'm that competitive player trying to win. Either way both modes would be awesome for all players involved. There are ALOT of casual players who only play expanded and there are ALOT of professional competitive players who mostly only play standard. Sort of as an "unspoken rule" that standard is for the pros and expanded is for the casual. This should not be the case. Instead there should be 2 separate ladders. One ranked and competitive and one just for fun casual ladder. It would transform the game of pokemon to far more enjoyment by all calibers and talents of players. Let's get it done pokemon! Come on! 

• Like 6

Teknogrebo

Just adding my voice as somebody that's played ptcgo and irl for 3-4 years that I would love to see a proper competitive ladder added to the client.

• Like 1

thepokebeta

I agree with this topic! No ranked ladder is really bad. The idea provided reminds of Yugioh Duel Links system, which honestly was fun for the time I was trying that game out. it was great seeing my rank go up. The current rewards system can still be used to give out rewards for just playing as I understand this helps new players into the game while providing more rewards at the end of a season for climbing high in the ladder. This would behave very similar to the VGC ladder actually where you are given random items just for playing a couple rounds but the real prize is reaching that master ball rank. 

• Like 1

xKandaYuu

Its not the only thing that ptcgo misses, but it would help a lot to keep players in game. they really need to hear us

• Like 1

quantumsmarts

Just responding to bring attention. This is a good idea most of the time.

• Like 1

EpicShonenGuy

Gonna jump to this topic and say that i completely agree with this, with the pandemic going on, this is the perfect time to bring this game client to the next level even if it means that we won't be able to play PTCGO for a few days or a week due to servers being down just for the purpose to do a complete overhaul. Let's gooo

Edited by EpicShonenGuy
  • Like 1

shadowblade270

Yes Please! I would love to see this. The VGC has this and I don't see why tcpi would have an issue with having this implemented

• Like 1