Zero Energy Legacy Deck

LevArris

Here is my attempt at a zero energy deck.

It is both inspired and limited by the few cards that I have available on Pokemon TCG (Legacy Decks)

It usually plays well and is generally fun to play, sometimes with the flips, taking down much stronger decks :)

All the Pokemon have a free Att + free retreat, all use (possibility) sleep for protection. Plus power added only for Tyrogue to use or they are recycle bait.

With junk arm and Dowsing Machine you can get back whatever tools/items might be best used during varied matches. Sometimes escape rope, often Hypnotoxic Laser,

and recently Lost Remover and Crushing Hammer. 

Pokemon profile:

Cleffa ~pokebody Sleep protection,  Shuffle in hand and draw 6 'asleep'  (need cards)

Igglybuff ~pokebody Sleep protection,  Defending Pokemon's Att cost +1 'asleep'  (Stalling, waiting on effects)

Tyrogue ~pokebody Sleep protection,  30 dmg Att no weakness/resistance  'asleep' (Looking for Plus or just pounding)

Magby ~pokebody Sleep protection,  Burns defending Pokemon 'asleep'  (with 20 possibly recurring at each turn end, main dmg focus)

Mime Jr ~pokebody Sleep protection,  Put top card of opponents deck in lost zone 'asleep'  (To deck them, burn early cards, stall)

(Deck detail in spoiler)

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 9

* 1 Cleffa CL 24
* 1 Igglybuff HS 44
* 1 Tyrogue CL 36
* 4 Magby CL 46
* 2 Mime Jr. CL 47

##Trainer Cards - 51

* 2 Professor Oak's New Theory
* 4 Crushing Hammer 
* 1 Moomoo Milk 
* 1 Pokémon Collector 
* 1 Eviolite 
* 2 PlusPower 
* 1 Flower Shop Lady
* 2 N 
* 3 Potion 
* 1 Rescue Scarf 
* 2 Hypnotoxic Laser 
* 2 Pokémon Catcher 
* 2 Virbank City Gym 
* 3 Escape Rope 
* 2 Lost Remover 
* 3 Good Rod 
* 2 Giant Cape 
* 1 Judge 
* 2 Life Herb 
* 2 Dual Ball 
* 4 Full Heal 
* 3 Junk Arm 
* 2 Rocky Helmet 
* 1 Dowsing Machine 
* 2 Level Ball 

##Energy - 0

Total Cards - 60

Edited by LevArris

Do you ever have trouble with opposing Laser/Bank combos? Low HP would make that a problem. I see you play Giant Cape + Full Heal + Potion to be able to beat that. I think depending on how many Pokemon you are able to keep rolling, Life Dew could be worth playing. Combined with Junk Arm, you can go a long time without losing and continue chipping away. Your own resources may not hold out though, so whatever is working for you keep doing it.

I have my own 0 Energy deck with a similar idea, Snorlax/Lasers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback!

True facing Laser/Bank makes it difficult, especially if I've played the Bank myself >_<, I'll have to try to find Life Dew and I'll be sure to add it / try it.

22 hours ago, Raticate555 said:

Do you ever have trouble with opposing Laser/Bank combos? Low HP would make that a problem. I see you play Giant Cape + Full Heal + Potion to be able to beat that. I think depending on how many Pokemon you are able to keep rolling, Life Dew could be worth playing. Combined with Junk Arm, you can go a long time without losing and continue chipping away. Your own resources may not hold out though, so whatever is working for you keep doing it.

I have my own 0 Energy deck with a similar idea, Snorlax/Lasers.

Hmm, if you're trying to keep your opponent's Active Pokemon Asleep with Laser, I'd opt for using Munna BCR. Long Distance Hypnosis can be quite annoying for your opponent, and isn't really an issue for you either.

It may be helpful for you as well, @LevArris as you'll be fine even if you put your Active Pokemon Asleep.

Edited by ellomello044208
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

Hmm, if you're trying to keep your opponent's Active Pokemon Asleep with Laser, I'd opt for using Munna BCR. Long Distance Hypnosis can be quite annoying for your opponent, and isn't really an issue for you either.

It may be helpful for you as well, @LevArris as you'll be fine even if you put your Active Pokemon Asleep.

Thanks for the feedback. I have thought about using some Pokemon (that require energy) for their Pokemon Power like Ditto HS—Triumphant for it's bench limit.

I am trying to stay w/0 energy (baby)Pokemon/tools/trainers/supporters. As was mentioned by  Raticate555 resources are an issue at times, given how fast cards can be used when things come as you need. Are there any good supporters/trainers that will put cards from discard to deck? Good rod works sometimes, Junk arm, Dowsing Machine are good for specific retrievals but is there something like Flower Shop Lady for tools/trainers?

12 hours ago, LevArris said:

Thanks for the feedback. I have thought about using some Pokemon (that require energy) for their Pokemon Power like Ditto HS—Triumphant for it's bench limit.

I am trying to stay w/0 energy (baby)Pokemon/tools/trainers/supporters. As was mentioned by  Raticate555 resources are an issue at times, given how fast cards can be used when things come as you need. Are there any good supporters/trainers that will put cards from discard to deck? Good rod works sometimes, Junk arm, Dowsing Machine are good for specific retrievals but is there something like Flower Shop Lady for tools/trainers?

Junk Arm is definitely the staple example of retrieving Trainer cards, I'd encourage you to run 4 copies just to increase consistency further. Similar to Good Rod, there is also Recycle. It's a coin flip and it won't guarantee that you get anything, unlike Good Rod, but it can get back any kind of card.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well it's been a while and I've made some changes to the deck, mainly to annoy decks that beat me.

As I'm still learning what's out there and making purchases toward specific weaknesses.

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 10

* 1 Cleffa CL 24
* 1 Igglybuff HS 44
* 1 Tyrogue CL 36
* 4 Magby CL 46
* 1 Elekid TM 21
* 2 Mime Jr. CL 47

##Trainer Cards - 50

* 2 Professor Oak's New Theory CL 83
* 4 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 1 Pokémon Collector HS 97
* 2 PlusPower UL 80
* 1 Flower Shop Lady UD 74
* 2 N DEX 96
* 2 Potion BCR 132
* 1 Rescue Scarf DRX 115
* 2 Hypnotoxic Laser PLS 123
* 1 Pokémon Catcher EPO 95
* 1 Virbank City Gym PLS 126
* 1 Pokégear3.0 HS 96
* 2 Escape Rope PLS 120
* 2 Lost Remover CL 80
* 2 Frozen City PLF 100
* 1 Good Rod UL 76
* 2 Giant Cape DRX 114
* 2 Judge BKT 143
* 2 Life Herb UL 79
* 2 Dual Ball CL 78
* 4 Full Heal HS 93
* 3 Junk Arm TM 87
* 2 Rocky Helmet BCR 133
* 1 Rock Guard PLF 108
* 2 Tool Scrapper DRX 116
* 2 Level Ball NXD 89
* 1 Silver Mirror PLB 89

##Energy - 0

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

When you get your flips, this deck is so much fun to play for me :D

I'd suggest replacing Flower Shop Lady with Super Rod as they both do the same in a Zero Energy deck while the latter doesn't use up your Supporter for turn and is retrievable with Junk Arm. Speaking of which, a fourth Junk Arm would probably be nice to have.

I'd also go for more Level Balls instead of Dual Ball. Both have an expected value of retrieving 1 Pokemon successfully, however, Dual Ball has no HP restriction. But since all Pokemon in your deck have ≤90HP this advantage disappears and I'd rather find 1 Pokemon for sure than having a chance for finding 2 but whiffing finding a Pokemon completely 25% of the time.

Rock Guard is a nice Tool for sure but I'd go with Life Dew. Let's say Virbank + Laser is your wincon. If your Pokemon would be knocked out while having Rock Guard attached your opponent's Pokemon would take 60 damage. However, if your opponent's Pokemon is poisoned with Virbank in play and your Pokemon has Life Dew attached, when your opponent knocks your Pokemon out and isn't allowed to take a price card you make the game last an extra 2 turns meaning an extra 60 damage (up par with Rock Guard) but your opponent can not take a price card, so they get less card advantage.

Then I'd scrap Mime Jr. You don't really have a reliant Mill strategy with this deck and while putting your opponent's most crucial cards in the Lost Zone is a powerful thing, the probability of that happening without controlling your opponent's top deck is abysmal.

I'd go all in with the Virbank + Poison strategy, adding more Stadiums and Lasers and either putting in Garbodor to have an edge against decks using Virizion or leaving it out and taking an insta-loss against those decks. Since you hard lose to Lasers, I'd argue beating VirGen and Sableye consistently is out of reach anyways.

Last but not least, put in at least one Mr. Mime. Landorus EX absolutely wreaks havoc against this deck.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply;

I will look at replacing "Flower Shop Lady with Super Rod" I think I have that card. I'll also look more closely at the the use of 'guaranteed balls'. 

I think I finally found a 'Life Dew' and will have to try it out, though I opted for 'Rock Guard' as with so few Pokemon the dmg potential made more sense to me than the prize stall.

I hear you about Mime Jr. but as I made the deck to be aggravating and allow both; min. 1 turn stall + eating a card, it is true that without a way for me to control that card it's more of an annoyance than a strategy.

Landorus EX does wreck me and is so OP that I am messing with a deck that has just 1 Pokemon. A single Landorus EX, again not 'truly' a competitive deck but as I add ether and other things from playing it and seeing what would be nice to have it's down from the original 59 fighting energy.

Thank you again for all your wise suggestions