Jump to content

Can these abilities work together like this?


monmaniak
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I'm wondering if you have a Pokemon that has a coin flip as part of it's attack if you can use Victini's Victory Star ability to reflip the coin and then use the Will supporter card to choose heads.

 

Example breakdown:

Step 1:  Kartana uses False Swipe (which reads:  Flip a coin.  If heads, put damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokemon until its remaining HP is 10.)

Step 2:  I flip a tails.

Step 3:  Since I have Victini on my bench with it's Victory Star ability (which reads:  Once during your turn, after you flip any coins for an attack, you may ignore all results of those coin flips and begin flipping those coins again. You can't use more than 1 Victory Star Ability each turn) I want to flip again for Kartana's False Swipe attack.

Step 4:  I use the Will supporter card (which reads:  The next time you flip any number of coins for the effect of an attack, Ability, or Trainer card this turn, choose heads or tails for the first coin flip.) in order to choose heads and not even flip.

 

Can I do this or can I not play the Will supporter card "in the middle of/interrupting" Victini's Victory Star ability?

 

Thanks.

Edited by monmaniak
edited to complete step 4 (saying I would choose heads)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To answer your question, no, you would not be able to execute Step 4 in the sequence you described. Unlike other games like MTG, there is a very rigid structure for when you can play cards. You can only play Supporters like Will, as well as any other cards (unless through the effect of an attack) before you attack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

To answer your question, no, you would not be able to execute Step 4 in the sequence you described. Unlike other games like MTG, there is a very rigid structure for when you can play cards. You can only play Supporters like Will, as well as any other cards (unless through the effect of an attack) before you attack.

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worth mentioning in here is you also cannot play a trick coin and victini and glimwood tangle to try maximize your coin flips. I thought this could be done, but then tested it out and to my sad dismay it cannot be done. You only get one reflip chance with any of the reflipping options available. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

Worth mentioning in here is you also cannot play a trick coin and victini and glimwood tangle to try maximize your coin flips. I thought this could be done, but then tested it out and to my sad dismay it cannot be done. You only get one reflip chance with any of the reflipping options available. 

Well, Trick Coin actually says that you can't combine it with any other flip effects. Victini and Glimwood Tangle don't have that wording, but there was a ruling that they're unable to be combined, sadly. I wanted that15/16 Agility immunity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/8/2020 at 1:13 PM, monmaniak said:

So I'm wondering if you have a Pokemon that has a coin flip as part of it's attack if you can use Victini's Victory Star ability to reflip the coin and then use the Will supporter card to choose heads.

 

Example breakdown:

Step 1:  Kartana uses False Swipe (which reads:  Flip a coin.  If heads, put damage counters on your opponent's Active Pokemon until its remaining HP is 10.)

Step 2:  I flip a tails.

Step 3:  Since I have Victini on my bench with it's Victory Star ability (which reads:  Once during your turn, after you flip any coins for an attack, you may ignore all results of those coin flips and begin flipping those coins again. You can't use more than 1 Victory Star Ability each turn) I want to flip again for Kartana's False Swipe attack.

Step 4:  I use the Will supporter card (which reads:  The next time you flip any number of coins for the effect of an attack, Ability, or Trainer card this turn, choose heads or tails for the first coin flip.) in order to choose heads and not even flip.

 

Can I do this or can I not play the Will supporter card "in the middle of/interrupting" Victini's Victory Star ability?

 

Thanks.

 

In general, once you attack, you cannot activate play any cards from your hand.  Exceptions will clearly say so on that card.  Some effects can be activated, but again, they'll be clear and state that is the case.  I have not tested how Will and Victory Star interact in the PTCGO, but will present what I do know about the individual components.  As I don't have time to test them myself, please let me know if anything below is wrong.

 

If you use Will, it basically places an effect on you (the player) that - if you don't use it before then - goes away at the end of the turn.  The effect is that the next coin flip you make for an attack or Ability or the effect of a Trainer card, instead of flipping a coin, you just choose heads or tails.  If that coin flip is part of an effect where you flip multiple coins, you only choose the result of the first (if flipped sequentially) or one (if flipped simultaneously).

 

You must Will's effect if a coin flip happens during its duration, and you cannot "save" it for a later coin toss.  If you don't want to use Will to dictate a coin toss it can affect, make sure to do whatever requires that coin toss before you play Will, or after the coin flip you wanted Will to decide has already happened.  Will can only be played after your draw for the turn, and before you declare your attack (or do anything else that automatically ends your turn upon resolution).  It can only be used at a different time if you're copying the effect of will through another card's effect that does work during that time.

 

For example, if your opponent has a copy of Will in their hand, and you use the "Stunning Likeness" attack found on Smeargle (SM - Lost Thunder 157/214), you are allowed to pick Will and Stunning Likeness will copy Will's effect.  It just won't matter because your turn immediately ends after Stunning Likeness resolves, at which point the effect copied from Will still goes away (because it your turn has ended).

 

Victini (BW - Noble Victories 14/101, 98/101; BW - Black Star Promos BW32; BW - Legendary Treasures 23/113) and Victini (SM - Guardians Rising 10/145) both have the same Ability, "Victory Star".  Victory Star is used after you flip a coin or coins for an attack; whatever you just flipped, you ignore the results and flip again.  In the case of multiple coin flips, whether they were sequential or simultaneous, you ignore all the coin flips.  You're not allowed to keep a coin flip you liked and replace only the ones you didn't want.

 

When we combine the effects, here is what happens.  We'll first use your example of Kartana (SM - Unbroken Bonds 19/214) and its "False Swipe" attack.  You play Will at any point after you drew your card for the turn, but before you actually declare your attack with Kartana.  You also need to have not used any Abilities or Trainers that require coin flips between having played Will and using False Swipe.  When you go to use False Swipe, you pick either heads or tails instead of flipping a coin.  There is no official ruling as to whether or not you can even activate Victini's Victory Star at this point, as you did not actually flip any coins.  If you can, the you would now flip a coin, and ignore the result you selected with Will.

 

Second example: You play Will at any point after you drew your card for the turn, but before you actually declare your attack.  Your Active Pokémon is Galarian Stunfisk (Sword & Shield 132/202), and you use its "Damage Rush" attack.  Damage Rush does 30 damage, plus has you flip a coin until you get tails, doing an extra 30 damage per heads.  Will's effect will resolve with the first of those flips; choose tails if you want to only do the base 30 damage, or choose heads and then flip a coin until tails.  Will lets you control the result of what would have been your first coin flip, so you can guarantee you'll do at least 60 damage.  If you then use Victini's Victory Star, you must reflip all the coins for Damage Rush, which "erases" the guarnateed "heads" you got from Will.  You do not get to pick the result of the first coin toss of the re-flip; Will's effect has already been spent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...