[Card] Kangaskhan Rally Back vs Mew Psypower

Chieffelix47

Rally back reads that if any of your pokemon were knocked out due to the attack of an opposing pokemon during their last turn [Rally Back] will do an additional 90 damage.

Opponent Mew used Psypower to kill a benched pokemon of mine, next turn Kangaskhan did not get the bonus damage to it's attack.

Am I missing something about this interaction that means I should not have gotten the extra 90 damage?

Rally Back states that if any of your pokemon were knocked out by damage from your opponent's active pokemon, it will do an additional 90 damage. 

Mew's Psypower puts 3 damage counters on your pokemon, it is an effect of attack, it does not deal any damage to your pokemon, just places damage counters, note this difference.

Since your pokemon was not knocked out by damage from your opponent's active pokemon, rather it was knocked out as an effect of the attack, Rally Back will not add the 90 additional damage.

On 11/8/2020 at 1:28 AM, Chieffelix47 said:

Rally back reads that if any of your pokemon were knocked out due to the attack of an opposing pokemon during their last turn [Rally Back] will do an additional 90 damage.

Opponent Mew used Psypower to kill a benched pokemon of mine, next turn Kangaskhan did not get the bonus damage to it's attack.

Am I missing something about this interaction that means I should not have gotten the extra 90 damage?

Hello @Chieffelix47

We welcome you to the forum-family! :) 

Thank you for posting your doubts so that our advanced members can help you out with great tips! 

On 11/9/2020 at 4:04 AM, BukWyrm said:

Rally Back states that if any of your pokemon were knocked out by damage from your opponent's active pokemon, it will do an additional 90 damage. 

Mew's Psypower puts 3 damage counters on your pokemon, it is an effect of attack, it does not deal any damage to your pokemon, just places damage counters, note this difference.

Since your pokemon was not knocked out by damage from your opponent's active pokemon, rather it was knocked out as an effect of the attack, Rally Back will not add the 90 additional damage.

Hello @BukWyrm

That was a very useful reply! :)

Thank you!