Trainers who deck themselves out

Raticate555

I thought the original of this topic was a bit old so I decided to start it fresh as I wanted to add something. The link to the old thread, in case you ever need to know an easy way to win against the trainer challenge: https://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/75266-trainers-who-deck-themselves/

What I want to add is only used in the Heliolisk deck from Flashfire, Brilliant Thunder. That deck contains a Lopunny card which allows you to put it and all cards attached to it into your hand. So if you have a Buneary on the bench you can promote that and evolve it every turn giving yourself an infinite heal loop as long as your opponent does 90 damage or less. Less than 90 damage in trainer challenge is common so if you set this up you will often win. Of course, setting it up, drawing the pieces you need isn't easy so attacking is generally priority 1, but having a Buneary on the bench in addition to a free bench slot is a good stall idea if things go south.

• Upvote 1

Good idea! The thing I always think about when I was doing the trainer challenge (and with many of my theme decks) was TIME. How much time does it take me to get 12 wins with my theme deck to attain a booster. For most matches I was finishing in 7 minutes or less usually sometimes as quick as 3 minutes. The thing with the Lopunny strategy is how much time does that take up to be healing every turn and evolve every turn and make that attack every turn? It is easier to wait for them to bring out there "weakest link" and just have them keep attacking (to do nothing) while you just click done on your turn and the game is very quickly over without needing to perform any evolves or any actions. But again you are right there is a heal loop to be had! FYI, Brilliant Thunder is one of my favorite older decks... (you get a blacksmith from it) and that luxio is super strong 200 damage max (often will do 120 or 160) for only 3 energy. Snorlax isn't anything to be snored at either. When I finished 12 wins with brilliant thunder there was alot of good options to use in that deck. 

And that old thread is a REAL GEM.... I have stopped adding to it for a while now and haven't played the trainer challenge in quite a many weeks, but there is a plethora of good information inside that old thread by a whole lot of us! 

So here is the list of trainers easiest to beat from everything mentioned in that thread: 

Ali

Calvin

Tyson

Kendall

Zach

Daniel

Juji
Grayson
Logan
Mick

Penelope

Cammie

12 trainers! There is a booster for newbies or if you just bought a theme deck. Look at that. Easy. 

As I've been playing with the Reshiram Theme Deck from Next Destinies, I've found that Beartic is actually very good. It has the attack Daunt which deals 40 damage and makes the attacks of the Defending Pokemon do 20 less damage. Against the opponent whose decks are mainly comprised of Pokemon with very weak attacks, this turns Beartic into quite the tank and it can sweep pretty easily.

It's not exactly a stall strategy, but it's a useful trick that's helped me win a surprising number of Trainer Challenge matches.

Edited by ellomello044208

"wait for them to bring out their weakest link" I have found that Vulpix from the Ocean's Core deck (Old Kyogre) has the Roar attack, forcing your opponent to switch. An easy way to beat Kendall if she benches a ton of mons is keep forcing her to switch until she brings out Dedenne then just retreat the next turn into something with 0 energy attached. This strategy can be used for any trainer with a Pokemon that doesn't attack (see previous thread for full list) and any Pokemon that can force the opponent to switch.

Another thing I have discovered is Slowbro from the Steel Sun (Solgaleo) deck which has a 20 damage amnesia attack. Use this against Rika or any Pokemon wearing hard charm with only one relevant attack and you can stall to victory. Most of the time this attacking is just better with that deck but I think looking for this stuff and encouraging others to do the same can save lost games. Find your win condition, read every attack and think of every combo. For a beginner, the trainer challenge is a perfect place to learn all this as trying to do it on a timer against another person can sometimes be, even for me after 5 years at this game, very hard.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:32 PM, Raticate555 said:

Another thing I have discovered is Slowbro from the Steel Sun (Solgaleo) deck which has a 20 damage amnesia attack. Use this against Rika or any Pokemon wearing hard charm with only one relevant attack and you can stall to victory. Most of the time this attacking is just better with that deck but I think looking for this stuff and encouraging others to do the same can save lost games. Find your win condition, read every attack and think of every combo. For a beginner, the trainer challenge is a perfect place to learn all this as trying to do it on a timer against another person can sometimes be, even for me after 5 years at this game, very hard.

Yes, I've discovered Slowbro to be very good at stalling as well, most notably, against Zach's Furfrou whose ability made it take 20 less damage from attacks. It was pretty funny when I realized that I could just do that forever.