Rusted Sword and Shield

Ash101416744

Ash101416744

Rusted Shield – Trainer
Item – Tool

Attach a Pokémon Tool to 1 of your Pokémon that doesn’t already have a Pokémon Tool attached.

The maximum HP of the Zamazenta V this card is attached to is increased by 70.

You may play any number of Item cards during your turn.

Rusted Sword – Trainer
Item – Tool

Attach a Pokémon Tool to 1 of your Pokémon that doesn’t already have a Pokémon Tool attached.

The attacks of the Zacian V this card is attached to do an additional 30 damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! Are you kidding me?!

You know, I was just saying that the one thing Zacian needed was to do more damage *facepalm*. At one hand, it's both sad and hilarious that PTCG designers have such a limited understanding of their own format that they'd print something like this.

Otakutron
1 hour ago, Ash101416744 said:

You know, I was just saying that the one thing Zacian needed was to do more damage *facepalm*. At one hand, it's both sad and hilarious that PTCG designers have such a limited understanding of their own format that they'd print something like this.

I like to think that this card was designed by the person who created Lysandre's Trump Card, and had it released in the same set as VS Seeker.  Maybe after banning LTC, the higher-ups made this person wait five years before their next card.

Why do I feel so sad when that was supposed to be a joke on my part? O_o

• Upvote 2
ellomello044208
1 hour ago, Ash101416744 said:

Rusted Shield – Trainer
Item – Tool

Rusted Sword – Trainer
Item – Tool

The attacks of the Zacian V this card is attached to do an additional 30 damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

This is pretty annoying to see as it bumps Zacian V up to OHKOing Tag Team Pokemon, most notably, Lucario and Melmetal GX even with a Full Metal Wall GX and ADP without a Big Charm. However, its effect is effectively negated by the opponent running Big Charm and so, hopefully, it'll stay under control. It's a Pokemon Tool that boosts damage, in a format where Vitality Band currently exists, allowing Zacian V to OHKO most Tag Team Pokemon without a Big Charm if they can find it. However, the effect that Vitality Band has had on the format has been limited so far, I hope a similar thing will be true for Rusted Sword. Rusted Sword will probably see more play though as it accelerates the mirror match further.

Edited by ellomello044208
OliverTwisting

Even if we see more Tool Scrappers in response to this, the fact that you can just drop a Rusty Sword whenever you need it makes this a... questionable... addition to the card pool in my opinion. ADPZ is typically already running 4 Energy Switches, 4 Metal Saucers, and 4 Switches, so a not-too-uncommon Turn 1 Altered Creation can be followed up with a not-too-difficult Turn 2 Zacian V swinging for 290 HP, which is enough to take out any of the commonly played Tag Teams. I don't think it's an easy play to pull off, but this could happen in, say, ~20-25% of games. To add that kind of power to a deck that is already Tier 1 (not to mention the bonuses coming in Vivid Voltage: Leon can take that damage up to 320 HP!, and the new Metal Special Energy will remove Zacian's Weakness to Centiskorch V).

Ultimately, I don't think it'll be a major buff to an already-powerful deck, but when there are so many possibilities for new cards to print or old cards to reprint (looking at you, Pokemon Ranger), and so many possibilities for bringing more neglected cards into competitive play, there's just no sense adding even a minor addition to ADPZ's arsenal.

• Upvote 1
Raticate555

I think it doesn't add a lot to ADPZ, as gusting Crobats and Dedennes is much easier than trying to stretch and KO a Vmax (Altered Creation, Rusted Sword, Leon, Galarian Perrserker = 340). But, if people find a way to start playing around the gust more effectively or Green's decks rise up, taking big OHKOs might be the future of this already disgusting monstrosity.

Looks like everyone is just talking about rusted sword not rusted shield. Rusted shield will make a zamazenta V 300 hp pokemon the highest hp 2 prize card pokemon only zamolticuno gx had this much and was a basic and with rusted shield and altered creation zacian will do 290 without extra damage

Otakutron
4 minutes ago, Pyu514068 said:

Looks like everyone is just talking about rusted sword not rusted shield. Rusted shield will make a zamazenta V 300 hp pokemon the highest hp 2 prize card pokemon only zamolticuno gx had this much and was a basic and with rusted shield and altered creation zacian will do 290 without extra damage

Perhaps I can explain.  Some of these will apply to all Tools, some also apply to Rusted Sword:

• Zamazenta V's Ability means it doesn't take damage from attacks made by Pokémon VMAX.  As long as its Ability is working, the HP buff won't matter against Pokémon VMAX.
  • Some effects are more passive than others; you can drop Rusted Sword on Zacian V and attack to immediately generate advantage from it, but I don't know if you can immediately drop Rusted Shield and then injure Zamazenta V substantially enough for the HP increase to have helped.
  • Again, Rusted Shield isn't really helping until Zamazenta V is alive due to the HP increase.  Your opponent has until that point to discard Rusted Shield, preventing the HP buff from ever actually mattering.
  • Even if they fail, if they can discard it before resorting to KOing Zamazenta V, they can reduce the advantage that was generated.
  • Attacks that already hit for 300+ damage, from non-Pokémon VMAX, still score a OHKO.
  • Attacks that average 150 to 290 damage, from non-Pokémon VMAX, still score a 2HKO.
  • Attacks that average between 100 to 140 damage, from non-Pokémon VMAX, still score a 3HKO.
  • Probably the most important; Metal Goggles are still legal, and likely better.
43 minutes ago, Otakutron said:

Perhaps I can explain.  Some of these will apply to all Tools, some also apply to Rusted Sword:

• Zamazenta V's Ability means it doesn't take damage from attacks made by Pokémon VMAX.  As long as its Ability is working, the HP buff won't matter against Pokémon VMAX.
  • Some effects are more passive than others; you can drop Rusted Sword on Zacian V and attack to immediately generate advantage from it, but I don't know if you can immediately drop Rusted Shield and then injure Zamazenta V substantially enough for the HP increase to have helped.
  • Again, Rusted Shield isn't really helping until Zamazenta V is alive due to the HP increase.  Your opponent has until that point to discard Rusted Shield, preventing the HP buff from ever actually mattering.
  • Even if they fail, if they can discard it before resorting to KOing Zamazenta V, they can reduce the advantage that was generated.
  • Attacks that already hit for 300+ damage, from non-Pokémon VMAX, still score a OHKO.
  • Attacks that average 150 to 290 damage, from non-Pokémon VMAX, still score a 2HKO.
  • Attacks that average between 100 to 140 damage, from non-Pokémon VMAX, still score a 3HKO.
  • Probably the most important; Metal Goggles are still legal, and likely better.

I am just telling my opinion about the tools and i think that if zamazenta gets to attack first it will ko zacian before it is koed

Raticate555
17 hours ago, Pyu514068 said:

In the situation you have pointed out, yes that would work but I have a few things to add. If an ADPZ is playing Rusted Sword it means they are going to try and take OHKOs which means also playing anything of  Perrserker, Zigzagoon or Leon meaning they are unlikely caped at 290. BUT, you will most likely have Full Metal Wall GX in effect too so this situation might occur.

I think having the Rusted Shield could be handy against something like Eternatus Vmax which aims to use Hoopa or Spiritomb to KO your Zamazenta, but like Okaturon said, Goggles are probably better. When something is 3HKOing your Pokemon, you effectively get +90 HP from Goggles and can't get Zigzagoon ping damage.

Tool Scrapper might see more play depending on how big these things get.

Edited by Raticate555
  • Upvote 1
Otakutron
6 hours ago, imnotemo said:

The card designers are Creatures Inc in Japan. You are complaining to the wrong forum. 

I thought it was Pokémon Card Laboratory, a.k.a. PCL?  I mean, if we want to name the specific subsidiary that basically handles the TCG and nothing else.

Also, not sure any of the above posts are directed at the Dev Team.  Yeah, this was posted in Game Feedback, but the forums here don't really have a general discussion area for us to use.

Edited by Otakutron
1 hour ago, Otakutron said:

I thought it was Pokémon Card Laboratory, a.k.a. PCL?  I mean, if we want to name the specific subsidiary that basically handles the TCG and nothing else.

Also, not sure any of the above posts are directed at the Dev Team.  Yeah, this was posted in Game Feedback, but the forums here don't really have a general discussion area for us to use.

PCL is actually the room in creatures that tests the cards, but the design team at creatures actually design the cards before PCL gets them. 

• Like 1
Mod_GuruLot
On 11/2/2020 at 4:44 PM, Ash101416744 said:

Rusted Shield – Trainer
Item – Tool

Rusted Sword – Trainer
Item – Tool

Hello @Ash101416744

Your feedback has been heard and forwarded to the developers.

Thank you!

Otakutron
On 11/10/2020 at 8:20 PM, imnotemo said:

PCL is actually the room in creatures that tests the cards, but the design team at creatures actually design the cards before PCL gets them. 

I have not heard this before.  I will keep it in mind and try to research it when I am able.  As I doubt you're just making it up, even if it proves incorrect, you still have my thanks.