Add older versions of rules to Unlimited format friend challenges

Raichu11

I wish it was possible to select older versions of the rules when playing against friends. For example, during Sun & Moon, it was possible to play a Supporter on the first turn, but with Sword & Shield that was changed, and it is now impossible to properly replay any formats from that time. Even something as recent as the 2019 World Championships format could not be replayed in the official online game which is disappointing. Playing those older cards with newer rules makes takes a lot of fun out of it, as they were not designed for that, most evident with card like Lillie or Volcanion from Unbroken Bonds.

A possible way to fix this would be to add the option to select which generation's rules (SWSH/SM/XY/BW) to use when challenging friends to an Unlimited format game, in the same way we can choose whether to turn on the game timer.

Edited by Raichu11
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 17

100% agreed! As someone who's both played in and organized tournaments simulating old formats on TCGO, it would be great to have this option in the game!

• Upvote 1

Among other things! Pokemon is easily one of the most recognizable brands in the entire world and it's just a real shame that the online client for the TCG is incapable of showcasing that. Between all the collector's craze right now and likely not getting in-person events for another year, I think Pokemon could easily overtake many of its other digital competitors with very minor updates like this. Give us legacy formats, a reason to play the regular ladder and an updated client! The difference in participation between the two player's cup has been tremendous, I think showing that people will play if there are good reasons to play but the game itself has needed a complete overhaul for a long time now and I hope this downtime will give TPCI and those involved the cause to consider things like this. At the end of the day, PTCGO has improved so very little since it was unveiled as a java, browser game and I hope that is changed sooner rather than later. 

Mod_GuruLot
37 minutes ago, Raichu11 said:

I wish it was possible to select older versions of the rules when playing against friends. For example, during Sun & Moon, it was possible to play a Supporter on the first turn, but with Sword & Shield that was changed, and it is now impossible to properly replay any formats from that time. Even something as recent as the 2019 World Championships format could not be replayed in the official online game which is disappointing. Playing those older cards with newer rules makes takes a lot of fun out of it, as they were not designed for that, most evident with card like Lillie or Volcanion from Unbroken Bonds.

A possible way to fix this would be to add the option to select which generation's rules (SWSH/SM/XY/BW) to use when challenging friends to an Unlimited format game, in the same way we can choose whether to turn on the game timer.

Hello @Raichu11

Thank you for stepping out with your suggestion! :) 

Selecting older versions of the rules could be an interesting feature, indeed. Let's see what the developers say. 

Mod_GuruLot
12 minutes ago, Matamune said:

Among other things! Pokemon is easily one of the most recognizable brands in the entire world and it's just a real shame that the online client for the TCG is incapable of showcasing that. Between all the collector's craze right now and likely not getting in-person events for another year, I think Pokemon could easily overtake many of its other digital competitors with very minor updates like this. Give us legacy formats, a reason to play the regular ladder and an updated client! The difference in participation between the two player's cup has been tremendous, I think showing that people will play if there are good reasons to play but the game itself has needed a complete overhaul for a long time now and I hope this downtime will give TPCI and those involved the cause to consider things like this. At the end of the day, PTCGO has improved so very little since it was unveiled as a java, browser game and I hope that is changed sooner rather than later. 

Hello @Matamune

Welcome to the forums! :)

Thank you for your constructive appeal for improvements. I'll pass your suggestions along to the development team so that they can take a further look.

• 2 weeks later...