How come certain theme decks aren't theme decks?

Mos_Quitoxe

Specifically thinking of things like the legendary battle decks, or the redeemable tin codes e.g. lunar howl.

Basically any deck that doesn't come in the "standard" packaging (or isn't available in the online shop) seems to be relegated to expanded format only in versus mode, despite still being a "theme deck". This is very awkward since as older theme decks they are not especially powerful, and certainly cannot stand up to any kind of player-made deck.
Is there any chance of this being rectified in the future, or is their placement in expanded actually due to them being rotated out of the theme deck format at some point in the past?

• Upvote 1

I believe at least some are excluded because, at the time they released, they were significantly more powerful than your baseline Theme Deck.  For example, those that include even a normally poor multi-Prize Pokémon.

It'd be nice if some of the dev staff could take the time out to evaluate each one to see if it's ok now. I get why things like the celebi/venusaur tag team or charizard GX decks aren't in Theme, 'cause they're still totally busted, but there's others that hardly measure up to modern standards.

Also Theme is currently inflicted with the twin poxes of Relentless Flame and Rillaboom so it'd be nice to have more similarly-powered variety :P

On 10/25/2020 at 3:35 PM, Mos_Quitoxe said:

Specifically thinking of things like the legendary battle decks, or the redeemable tin codes e.g. lunar howl.

Basically any deck that doesn't come in the "standard" packaging (or isn't available in the online shop) seems to be relegated to expanded format only in versus mode, despite still being a "theme deck". This is very awkward since as older theme decks they are not especially powerful, and certainly cannot stand up to any kind of player-made deck.
Is there any chance of this being rectified in the future, or is their placement in expanded actually due to them being rotated out of the theme deck format at some point in the past?

On 10/26/2020 at 4:44 AM, Mos_Quitoxe said:

It'd be nice if some of the dev staff could take the time out to evaluate each one to see if it's ok now. I get why things like the celebi/venusaur tag team or charizard GX decks aren't in Theme, 'cause they're still totally busted, but there's others that hardly measure up to modern standards.

Also Theme is currently inflicted with the twin poxes of Relentless Flame and Rillaboom so it'd be nice to have more similarly-powered variety :P

Hello @Mos_Quitoxe

Welcome to the forum with your ideas! :)  

I'll be definitely letting the development team know about your feedback and suggestion.