New player starting TCG, Smart purchases?

LGar59

Hi so I recently started playing Pokémon TCG online and finally have the hang of things, my next step is to start purchasing TCG products to play at locals as well as online. Starting as a new player I was looking for some advice as far as necessities as well as some smart purchases for the meta and format. If anyone could give me a little guidance I would really appreciate it!!

The Trainer's Toolkit is a good buy as it provides some essential staple cards like Boss's Orders, Marnie, and Dedenne GX. The Pikachu and Zekrom League Battle Deck and the Reshiram and Charizard League Battle Deck are two good decks to consider buying. The Pikachu and Zekrom deck is much stronger for the Jirachi package, especially if the deck is combined with the Trainer's Toolkit. The Reshiram and Charizard League Battle Deck is better as a standalone product which will allow you to start playing relatively competitively without investing as much.

• Upvote 1

Can agree on a trainer's toolkit and the league battle decks are definitely good. Both the pikarom and reshizard battle decks are seeing huge amounts of play right now (with the proper modifications of course). Furthermore you have the ADP Zacian league battle deck coming out soon as well if that's something you'd like to try out. You can always look for ways to get just codes as well instead of having to buy the physical products (if you don't care much for physical irl cards). Of course, to support TPCI if you like physical cards as well, buying the league battle decks and the trainer's toolkit would definitely be a good start.

One thing that's easy to do is to finish the trainer's challenge, you get free trade-locked packs, they might be old but it's a really way to get many packs and possibly jumpstart your collection.

You can also start grinding out some games on the theme format, with 500 coins you can buy the Relentless Flame theme deck and just start grinding theme to get some ladder points and boost your progression.

Tournaments (you probably will want to be doing theme tournaments because I'm assuming you don't have a consistent standard or expanded deck yet) also can shell out a good amount of coins and TRADEABLE packs that will help you trade for the cards that you want.

My last and probably best tip I can give you is when you have tradeable packs in game, DON'T open them unless you already have all the decks you want. Trade for singles in-game. Opening packs is a very inefficient way to get the cards you want, and the odds are against you if you want to get a good card and sell it for more packs. The only packs you should be opening (especially when you're new to the game) are the free trade-locked ones.

(edit another trading tip) make sure to check prices when trading, a lot of trades are sometimes based off people trying to make a couple extra packs, or sometimes completely not worth (there's scammers every now and then that try to take advantage of people not familiar with the market and price checking).

Edited by Kek01
grammar