Sign in to follow this  
OliverTwisting

Expanded ADP-Baby Blacephalon

OliverTwisting

Hi forum,

I put together an ADP/Baby Blacephalon inspired from the ADP/Blacephalon deck that placed in the Regional Collinsville tournament. Here's the original list for reference:

Spoiler

Pokemon - 12
3 Blacephalon-GX LOT 52
2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
2 Arceus & Dialga & Palkia-GX CEC 156
2 Dedenne-GX UNB 57
1 Ultra Necrozma CEC 164
1 Comfey GRI 93
1 Heatran LOT 48

Trainer - 32
3 Welder UNB 189
2 Guzma & Hala CEC 193
2 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
1 Guzma BUS 115
1 N FCO 105
4 Quick Ball SSH 179
4 Beast Ring FLI 102
3 VS Seeker PHF 109
2 Tag Call CEC 206
2 Ultra Ball SLG 68
1 Computer Search BCR 137
1 Great Catcher CEC 192
2 Float Stone BKT 137
1 Stealthy Hood UNB 186
2 Chaotic Swell CEC 187
1 Heat Factory Prism Star LOT 178

Energy - 16
12 Fire Energy 2
4 Double Dragon Energy ROS 97

Here's my list, for which I'd welcome any and all feedback you might have:

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 11

* 2 Arceus & Dialga & Palkia-GX CEC 220
* 3 Blacephalon UNB 32
* 2 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 2 Dedenne-GX UNB 57
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 1 Heat Factory {*} LOT 178
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 3 Guzma & Hala CEC 193
* 1 Boss's Orders RCL 200
* 1 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 1 Welder UNB 214
* 4 Acro Bike PRC 122
* 2 Giant Hearth UNM 197
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 1 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 1 N DEX 96
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Float Stone PLF 99
* 4 Fire Crystal UNB 173
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 14

* 2 Double Dragon Energy ROS 97
* 12 Fire Energy SWSHEnergy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

When the deck works like it should, I choose to go 2nd, Guzma&Hala pulls in double dragon energy and a float stone, and ADP gets switched into the active and pulls of Altered Creation on my first turn. The next turn, I gust up Dedenne/Shaymin/Crobat/etc., swing for 3 prize cards and load up Blacephalon on the bench. Next turn, swing at whatever's in the opponent's active (gusting if needed for a 2-prize or 3-prize) and win. This works out maybe 50-60% of the time. An alternative, if ADP loses its double dragon energy, is to search Tapu Lele to search up a Welder and attach fire energy directly to Blacephalon.

I'm running into the issue that the deck seems to brick in maybe 20-30% of games, and I'm not sure why. I often end up with either Dedenne or Tapu Lele in the active spot, or a hand consisting of 3 VS Seekers, 3 fire energy, and 1 Dedenne, or something along those lines. I understand that bricking cannot fully be avoided, but anything to help with making this deck more consistent would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ellomello044208

You may have your deck ratios to blame. Usually, the ADP and Guzma and Hala engine is played in combination with Tag Call to allow you to pull all components necesary for a turn 1 Altered Creation. I'd maximize the Tag Call count and run just 2 Guzma and Hala. Also, add Trainers' Mail and possibly Order Pad to increase your chances of getting the Tag Call on turn 1. VS Seeker is a strong card, but it's really at its best in decks with at least 2 Battle Compressor. If you can't reliably get your hands on a Battle Compressor, you won't be able to use VS Seeker for the Supporter cards that you want.

Baby Blacephalon, while it gives 1 less Prize card that big Blacephalon GX, has a very different condition that needs to be met. It doesn't need to end the turn with a hand that is full of energy, it just needs to hit a lot of Beast Rings to load up Blacephalon GX or get an Ultimate Ray up to dish out a lot of damage. This difference means that you'll need to build your deck quite differently than the Blacephalon GX deck that you modelled it after.

The first, and probably most important change will be to figure out how you'd ideally stream attackers. I'd definitely consider running 2-3 Beast Ring to get up a Baby Blacephalon without needing Ultimate Ray. It's also more convenient than using Welder, though you'll still want at least 2 Welder in the case that you aren't in that Prize card range for Beast Ring.

In addition to streaming attackers, you'll need a good way to get Fire Energy into your hand for the first attack. There is no better option than using 3-4 Fiery Flint. Getting Fire Energy from the discard is good, but only after you've already discarded the energy, something your deck isn't able to do very effectively at the moment. If you're interested in retrieving energy from the discard to power Fireball Circus, use a Battle Compressor-centered build, and maybe a Shuckle LOT or two.

An interesting card to play with could be Beast Bringer, it'll enable for some very interesting possibilities with Ultra Beasts, you can take 4 Prize cards with the Altered Creation and a Beast Bringer when you Knock Out a 2-Prize Pokemon. I'd also suggest running 1-2 Target Whistle and 1 Captivating Pokepuff/Mawile GX to force your opponent to play down their multi-Prize Pokemon so that you can shorten the win clock.

OliverTwisting

Hi @ellomello044208,

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late reply. I made some of the changes you suggested, and I'm much happier with the result! Here's the new list:

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 11

* 2 Arceus & Dialga & Palkia-GX CEC 221
* 3 Blacephalon UNB 32
* 2 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 2 Dedenne-GX UNB 57
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 1 Heat Factory {*} LOT 178
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 2 Guzma & Hala CEC 193
* 1 Boss's Orders RCL 200
* 1 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 2 Welder UNB 214
* 2 Acro Bike PRC 122
* 1 N DEX 96
* 2 Giant Hearth UNM 197
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 1 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Float Stone PLF 99
* 4 Fire Crystal UNB 173
* 4 Tag Call CEC 206
* 1 Lusamine {*} LOT 182
* 2 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 14

* 2 Double Dragon Energy ROS 97
* 12 Fire Energy SWSHEnergy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Notably, I did not include Beast Rings nor Fiery Flints. While Beast Ring provides a strong alternative to needing ADP to set up Blacephalon, Welder has proven to usually be sufficient. Beast Rings also cannot be searched for (discounting Computer Search), so the few times I need one, I can't find it.

Fiery Flint looks good, but I can't figure out a way to work it in. Furthermore (and I cannot rationalize this), I somehow always seem to have just the right amount of fire energy to win. I tend to dump one or two with an early Dedenne or Guzma/Hala, pull two more with a Giant Hearth, place three on Blacephalon with an assist from ADP, dig through for one or two more for the win. The extra 30 damage from ADP's GX attack is also tremendously useful. All those 160/170/180 HP pokemon require just 3 Fire Energy instead of 4 to knock out with Blacephalon, which makes a single Fire Crystal enough.

Now, to be clear, I seem to not be at a very high ELO. I'm not facing Doll Stall or Trevenoir or Snorlax VMAX or even Necrozma/Garbador on the ladder yet, so I think I just need to play more to settle into an appropriate tier. But in any case, here's the list as it stands. I'd certainly welcome more discussion/suggestions if you have them!

ellomello044208

@OliverTwisting I'm glad that you've been able to get your deck to run more smoothly. The few changes I would consider now are increasing consistency further by running 2-3 Trainers' Mail. In general, it's a stronger card than Acro Bike, though Acro Bike isn't without its uses, I'd consider making the swap. If you want a third Trainers' Mail I'd cut 1 Ultra Ball, I believe that 6 Pokemon search options with draw supporters and other consistency cards is just enough.

Sign in to follow this