Pokemon TCGO Legacy Is Interesting

ToastyWolf123

ToastyWolf123

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum area of pokemon TCG (despite me playing the game for years now), so I apologize if I am not allowed to post.

Regarding the Legacy format....

why is it that all the other trainers constantly forfeit before I can even place the pokemon down? I would love to battle other trainers, but no one seems to want to battle. Is this a glitch, or just odd players? I went 5 rounds in a row of people forfeiting, and counting, and I am so confused.

Edited by ToastyWolf123
accidentally clicked enter

Well this is because in legacy mode some players are genting(also called gentlemen's agreement) in this the one who wins the coin flip will say well played and the one who lost the coin flip will concede. There are many post regarding this

Edited by Pyu514068
  • 4 weeks later...

Genting is one possibility, but there may be many more possibilities that could play into it:

1. The player losing the coin flip could be afraid of getting donked by Jirachi-EX + Darkrai-EX + 2-3x Dark Patch + Dark Claw + Laserbank + Junk Arm + 4x Pluspower + Turn attachment of Dark Energy/Darkness Energy on T2 from Darkrai-EX's Night Spear, and...

2. The player that lost the coin flip could be trying to save time in a likely bad-hand scenario that usually means they can't get their board side set up before the end of their second turn or later...

Reasoning of first statement mentioned: Back in the time of the expansions that are represented in Legacy, that combo mostly guarantees a win in a one-pokemon scenario on the opponent's side, as cards back in that era don't have any more than 180 HP w/o other factors that raise their max HP greater than their face max HP, such as Crystal Wall, NXD Conkeldurr's Craftsmanship ability, among other possible factors... Better to concede before seeing such combos than regretting playing on and seeing the game turn against you anyway?

Reasoning of the second statement mentioned: Nowadays, in the era of first-turn rules, rules that did not exist in the time of the expansions represented in Legacy, but are in effect now, Legacy or not, you lose the coin flip, then you likely go first w/o ability to attack OR use a Supporter, so it's harder to Bench a backup pokemon to possibly avoid a T2 donk or even a slower setup vs. the opponent, who could have UD Smeargle to peek at your hand, then decide that the supporters could help you T3, and uses N to try and stop him/her from putting down a bench pokemon to start his/her side's board setup, potentially convincing him/her that they're likely to lose and make the decision to concede and not waste time trying to fight off a likely donk... Better to concede than enduring the likelihood of a full setup in your favor being severely cut to nothing by drawing only one basic and not being able to set up anymore before getting donked by the opposing player in 1 turn by an attack from the player going 2nd?

edit: Wow! Why is almost every thread on 1st page of the official pokemon VG forum so old, including THIS one? Did I just necropost by posting on a outdated thread located on the 1st page of an entire sub-forum? If so, I believe this subforum of General pokemon discussion is its own Legacy format in terms of the age of the expansions represented in the true Legacy... Does THAT make you think it's time to blend the VG forum with "Other Pokemon topics" due to the age of approx. the entire subforum?

My apologies if this edit is spam, and/or if I'm going off-topic... Just astonished at how far we went in time between the thread's last post and my post here in said thread... :( 

Edited by Jammer87