Pokemon selection for a start

pokeimam541495

For example, I like the Greninja pokemon, but if I go to the Greninja BREAK selection, I think it will be powerless. How can I discover powerful pokemons that will form decks around you and are also affordable? For example, ADP is strong but not affordable. I have planned the budget as low as 30 Burning Shadows packages. I need to discover the budget starter pokemon. Then I will put the pokemon, trainers and energy around it to create synergy and support it. Also, if you can give some more deck building tips, I would be glad. I don't like net decking.

Format:Expanded

Edited by pokeimam541495

To find good cost-friendly Pokemon to build a deck around, use the Collection filters to help. The best budget decks revolve around using Pokemon with attacks that can be easily paid for, whether this is because of sufficient energy acceleration for that type or having a low attack cost. Energy acceleration can be in the form of Special Energy cards (take Double Colorless Energy for example), Trainer cards (Welder for Fire decks, Aqua Patch for Water decks, etc.), or Pokemon abilities/attacks (Kyogre CEC's High Water, Malamar FLI's Psychic Recharge, etc.). Having these options in a deck allows it to function faster than other decks that are limited by their ability to only attach 1 Energy per turn to pay for attack costs, unless the attack costs are low enough that the lack of energy acceleration isn't relevant (Granbull LOT for example).

One option for measuring Pokemon in this stage is the damage to attack cost ratio. For example, I can look at a card like Klinklang DAA who can deal 200 damage for 3 energy and say that it deals a little more than 60 damage per energy. Looking at Pokemon this way is helpful for comparing different Pokemon with various attack costs. I can then compare that value to the damage to energy ratio of a different Pokemon, take Ambipom CEC for example. It deals 120 damage for 2 energy, which is equal to exactly 60 damage per energy, making it slightly worse than Klinklang. Keep in mind that depending on the energy cost of the attack, you can use forms of energy acceleration to more easily pay for the attack's cost (Twin Energy, Triple Acceleration Energy, etc. will be 1 Energy that will pay for Ambipom's attack cost, giving it effectively a damage/energy ratio of 120:1; these Energy cards can also reduce Klinklang's energy cost to 2 effectively, giving it a damage/energy ratio of 100:1). Try to use Pokemon who have at least a damage/energy ratio of 100:1. The damage/energy ratio can be somewhat misleading in the sense that a Pokemon who deals 200 damage in one turn for 2 energy is technically better than a Pokemon who deals 100 damage in one turn for 1 energy if they both get Knocked Out in one hit. Some Pokemon (take Ultra Necrozma CEC for example) can deal massive damage for 1 energy (a Double Dragon Energy in this case).

Once you find a Pokemon that checks these requirements (there are many), think about how the deck will win. If you win by taking 6 Prizes, make sure that the Pokemon hit hard enough for their condition to be competitive. For some cases, you can still use a Pokemon if it doesn't meet this requirement, as long as there is sufficient disruption built into the deck (hand disruption, energy discard, immunity to damage, etc.) so that the other deck will be slowed down enough to be at your level.

For the idea of using Greninja as your main attacker in the deck, I think it has good potential. Greninja DET has the ability, Evasion Jutsu, that can allow it to stay alive longer than it otherwise would. Furious Shurikens isn't a bad attack either. Using this in combination with Greninja Break is a solid deck build as it can deal decent damage between the ability on Greninja Break and using Furious Shurikens.

• Upvote 2

I could not understand what to set as a filter in the collection or what to write in the search field. Do I need to choose the attack energy cost?

6 hours ago, pokeimam541495 said:

I could not understand what to set as a filter in the collection or what to write in the search field. Do I need to choose the attack energy cost?

Yes, you choose the attack energy cost filter. You don’t need to write anything in the search field.

For example; How do I filter the pokemon with 2 Attack Costs (for example 200,150) with a high attack power?

You (unfortunately) can’t filter Pokémon based on their damage outputs as well, you’ll need to do some looking to figure that out.

About ptcgoprices; what is the difference between 7 ask 1 and 1 ask 1?

7 ask 1 means that 7 people are asking for that value, as opposed to 1 ask 1 where only 1 person is asking for that value. 

• Upvote 1

It is very difficult to find with the energy filter because there are hundreds of pokemon including basic pokemons. Isn't there any other way to find main pokemon? Some decks don't win by attacking. Like control decks. How to find main pokemon for control decks?

For control decks you just have to find ways to recover resources with ease. Pokemon like Sableye DEX, Oranguru UPR and Excadrill UNM can loop cards like Lillie's Poke Doll, Robo Substitute and Crushing Hammers or VS Seekers for infinite turns. Searching for them? There is no easy filter to look for them so you would probably either just have to ask on the forums or go searching. Trade wise I think they are generally cheap as most the time control cards are just uncommon or rare. I think there is even a theme deck where you can get the Sableye.

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

Which pokemon do you suggest I start with the expanded format? Would you suggest to find a deck and copy and paste it? Or should I add something myself?

You said above that you dislike net-decking, so building your own Expanded deck is probably the better strategy for you. One fun deck to try playing is Granbull LOT, who can deal 160 damage for a single energy! Due to the prominence of ADP in Expanded at the moment, it's a pretty good choice. I also suggest this archetype as it really teaches you how to sequence your turns as you need to have 0 cards in hand to deal 160 damage.

7 hours ago, Raticate555 said:

For control decks you just have to find ways to recover resources with ease. Pokemon like Sableye DEX, Oranguru UPR and Excadrill UNM can loop cards like Lillie's Poke Doll, Robo Substitute and Crushing Hammers or VS Seekers for infinite turns. Searching for them? There is no easy filter to look for them so you would probably either just have to ask on the forums or go searching. Trade wise I think they are generally cheap as most the time control cards are just uncommon or rare. I think there is even a theme deck where you can get the Sableye.

Hope this helps!

You can use the search bar to find some of these Pokemon, typing in keywords like "from your discard" and such will narrow down the results to make it easier to find these Pokemon. Control decks, as @Raticate555 said, are fairly cheap, check the Theme Decks from that expansion before you put out any trades for the Pokemon (three copies of Sableye DEX, one of the better looping Pokemon, can be obtained from 1 of the Dark Explorers Theme Decks).

22 minutes ago, ellomello044208 said:

You said above that you dislike net-decking, so building your own Expanded deck is probably the better strategy for you. One fun deck to try playing is Granbull LOT, who can deal 160 damage for a single energy! Due to the prominence of ADP in Expanded at the moment, it's a pretty good choice. I also suggest this archetype as it really teaches you how to sequence your turns as you need to have 0 cards in hand to deal 160 damage.

I need to put pokemon and trainers next to Granbull that will draw my hand to zero card, can you give me some idea how to find them myself? I know Magcargo, Oranguru SSH, Red's Challenge, Ultra Ball, Great Ball.

4 minutes ago, pokeimam541495 said:

I need to put pokemon and trainers next to Granbull that will draw my hand to zero card, can you give me some idea how to find them myself? I know Magcargo, Oranguru SSH, Red's Challenge, Ultra Ball, Great Ball.

Use the search bar to search the term "discard." You've already listed the best ways to guarantee that you can thin your hand down enough, Ultra Ball, Oranguru SSH (the SUM one is good as well), and Magcargo CES. The other way to ensure you can get your hand down to 0 cards is to play cards which add no cards to your hand, like Crushing Hammer for example. You'll almost always be able to play it, and doing so will thin your hand by one card. The most important part of playing Granbull is the Magcargo engine with Oranguru to help draw into the cards you Smooth Over. This allows you to achieve consistency turn after turn even if you have 0 cards in your hand at the end of the turn. Rosa and Diantha are helpful cards to consider playing as they can help you continue to stream Granbull after a Granbull is Knocked Out. Be wary though, they can only be played after one of your Pokemon has been Knocked Out.

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 2 Oranguru SSH 148
* 4 Snubbull LOT 137
* 4 Granbull LOT 138
* 2 Slugma CEC 26
* 2 Magcargo CES 24

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Great Catcher CEC 192
* 2 Red's Challenge UNB 184
* 1 Viridian Forest TEU 156
* 2 Crushing Hammer SSH 159
* 2 Plumeria BUS 120
* 4 Cape of Toughness DAA 160
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 2 Diantha FLI 105
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 1 Team Skull Grunt SUM 133
* 4 Great Ball SSH 164
* 1 Boss's Orders RCL 154

##Energy - 8

* 8 Fairy Energy Energy 9

Total Cards - 52

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Okay? Not enough Pokemon? 8 cards missing. I would be glad if you could help a little more.

Cape of Toughness isn’t that helpful in your deck as it only works on Basic Pokémon. If you’re looking to boost Granbull’s HP, run Bodybuilding Dumbbells. Run 2 copies of Float Stone and 2-3 Switch to move your Pokémon. You can try using 2 Lillie’s Poke doll to deny your opponent Prize cards while you set up. Run 1 Pokémon Ranger to deal with Altered Creation. Run more ways to gust, you can try 3-4 Pokémon Catcher or 2-3 Guzma. Instead of 1-2 Quick Ball and 2-3 Great Ball, run 4 Level Ball. Increase the Magcargo line to a 3-3, have 1 Ditto {*} to help with your Evolution lines. Run 2 Rescue Stretcher to recycle your Pokémon, you can try Ordinary Rod or Super Rod if you prefer. Add 2 more Crushing Hammer and maybe try Apricorn Maker as a 3-4 of. 

Edited by ellomello044208

10 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

Cape of Toughness isn’t that helpful in your deck as it only works on Basic Pokémon. If you’re looking to boost Granbull’s HP, run Bodybuilding Dumbbells. Run 2 copies of Float Stone and 2-3 Switch to move your Pokémon. You can try using 2 Lillie’s Poke doll to deny your opponent Prize cards while you set up. Run 1 Pokémon Ranger to deal with Altered Creation. Run more ways to gust, you can try 3-4 Pokémon Catcher or 2-3 Guzma. Instead of 1-2 Quick Ball and 2-3 Great Ball, run 4 Level Ball. Increase the Magcargo line to a 3-3, have 1 Ditto {*} to help with your Evolution lines. Run 2 Rescue Stretcher to recycle your Pokémon, you can try Ordinary Rod or Super Rod if you prefer. Add 2 more Crushing Hammer and maybe try Apricorn Maker as a 3-4 of. 

Hoopa UNM 140
Mew UNB 76

Is there a need to put different pokemon like these?

No need for cards like Cynthia and Lillie?

Edited by pokeimam541495

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 3 Oranguru SSH 148
* 4 Snubbull LOT 137
* 4 Granbull LOT 138
* 3 Slugma CES 23
* 3 Magcargo CES 24

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 2 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
* 1 Pokémon Ranger STS 104
* 4 Level Ball NXD 89
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 3 Switch SSH 183
* 4 Pokémon Catcher SSH 175
* 4 Crushing Hammer SSH 159
* 4 Apricorn Maker CES 124
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Diantha FLI 105
* 1 Rosa CEC 204

##Energy - 6

* 6 Fairy Energy Energy 9

Total Cards - 57

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

That's the final shape. It's still incomplete. I need three more cards.

10 hours ago, pokeimam541495 said:

Hoopa UNM 140
Mew UNB 76

Is there a need to put different pokemon like these?

No need for cards like Cynthia and Lillie?

Those are definitely cards to strive to fit in, and you can put them in with your extra deck space. Mew is more useful than Hoopa in this deck, but Hoopa is good for getting early damage down. Run a 7th energy and 1 Mew, you can use the last space for Wondrous Labyrinth {*} or Hoopa. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ellomello044208 said:

Those are definitely cards to strive to fit in, and you can put them in with your extra deck space. Mew is more useful than Hoopa in this deck, but Hoopa is good for getting early damage down. Run a 7th energy and 1 Mew, you can use the last space for Wondrous Labyrinth {*} or Hoopa. 

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 3 Oranguru SSH 148
* 4 Snubbull LOT 137
* 4 Granbull LOT 138
* 3 Slugma CES 23
* 3 Magcargo CES 24

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 2 Diantha FLI 105
* 1 Rosa CEC 204
* 2 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Level Ball NXD 89
* 3 Switch SSH 183
* 2 Lillie's Poké Doll CEC 197

##Energy - 7

* 7 Fairy Energy Energy 9

Total Cards - 60

I forgot to add Lillie's Doll. I will trade now and play with this deck later. I hope I play well and reset my hand. I will write if my playing is not bad and it goes bad. We will make changes. Thanks for the help.

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 3 Oranguru SSH 148
* 4 Snubbull LOT 137
* 4 Granbull LOT 138
* 3 Slugma CES 23
* 3 Magcargo CES 24

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 3 Diantha FLI 105
* 1 Wondrous Labyrinth {*} TEU 158
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Lillie's Poké Doll CEC 197
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Level Ball NXD 89
* 3 Switch SSH 183

##Energy - 7

* 7 Fairy Energy Energy 9

Total Cards - 59

I don't think Bodybuilding Dumbbells and Float Stone will join the same deck so I removed one. I don't plan to use Mew and Hoopa in this deck. What would you put in a gap?

2 hours ago, pokeimam541495 said:

Is three too much for oranguru? If it's more, what can I replace it with?

Yes, you probably only need 2 Oranguru. You can try 1 Oranguru SUM in addition to the 2 Oranguru SSH for more versatility if you like. I'd advise using the 1 card slot left as another way to search your deck for a Pokemon, like 1 Nest Ball.

Oranguru SUM works in perfect unison with Ultra Ball to get your hand to 0.  Also, you may have trouble drawing cards if all you can do is Smooth Over and Primate Wisdom. SUM Guru draws and discards more cards where SSH Guru conserves but probably relies more on Magcargo. A split I think is the best. (I may be wrong about all this as I haven't played Granbull for months.)

Hope this helps! 👍

(Edit): P.S. I would probably cut the 3 Switch and just bump Float Stone up to 3. Not having to actually switch in some situations is going to be a lot better than being forced to so as to empty your hand.

Edited by Raticate555
Thought of something extra

6 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

Yes, you probably only need 2 Oranguru. You can try 1 Oranguru SUM in addition to the 2 Oranguru SSH for more versatility if you like. I'd advise using the 1 card slot left as another way to search your deck for a Pokemon, like 1 Nest Ball.

Magcargo and Oranguru are the same, isn't it? I wondered why one is 3 and one is 2.

1 hour ago, Raticate555 said:

Oranguru SUM works in perfect unison with Ultra Ball to get your hand to 0.  Also, you may have trouble drawing cards if all you can do is Smooth Over and Primate Wisdom. SUM Guru draws and discards more cards where SSH Guru conserves but probably relies more on Magcargo. A split I think is the best. (I may be wrong about all this as I haven't played Granbull for months.)

Hope this helps! 👍

(Edit): P.S. I would probably cut the 3 Switch and just bump Float Stone up to 3. Not having to actually switch in some situations is going to be a lot better than being forced to so as to empty your hand.

What do you suggest I put in 2 spaces?

-3 Switch 

+1 Float Stone