My Smog Check deck!

ellomello044208

The current Standard meta has been quite boring recently, as many would agree, with it being dominated by ADPZ. So, I've been participating in more custom tournaments with slightly different takes on Standard, primarily no-ADP formats. I'd wanted to build this deck for a while, and these tournaments gave me the push to do it! My original list was pretty rough, and my current list is still very basic, but it's a very fun deck, at least when ADP isn't involved. Here's the list:

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 3 Larvesta DAA 29
* 3 Volcarona-GX CEC 35
* 4 Jirachi TEU 99
* 4 Koffing UNB 73
* 4 Weezing UNB 74

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 2 Giant Hearth UNM 197
* 1 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 4 Welder UNB 189
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 2 Big Charm SSH 158
* 2 Marnie SSH 169
* 3 Fire Crystal UNB 173
* 4 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 3 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 2 Great Ball SSH 164
* 3 Switch SSH 183

##Energy - 10

* 10 Fire Energy SWSHEnergy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

As you can see, the deck revolves around Weezing UNB and Volcarona GX. Volcarona helps me spread damage with Flaming Shot to help activate Weezing's Splattering Sludge and to set up better numbers. It's also a secondary attacker that can be quite good against Zacian V or other Metal Pokemon. There aren't a lot of fancy tech cards, in fact, almost none at all because I couldn't find deck space for it. Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Why the big charms? If you're trying to counter Zacian V then you are going to be OHKO-ed anyways. I have a Weezing deck and I run Roxie with Koffing CEC. It's perfect for setting up Weezing's attack but the only drawback is that you're discarding your main attacker's previous evolution. You could maybe put in 2 Roxies and not really use it as your main way to set up Weezing's attack but more as a back-up. If you did that though you would need some Ordinary Rods. I also don't really see the use of 4 Scoop Up Nets. You could probably do 3 or less.

I also dislike great balls. It seems like whenever I play them they are just a dead card. You would probably need 4 great balls to make it worthwhile to have in the deck. I also think you could use a little more draw power. If it were me, I would put in a Zacian V and take out a Jirachi. (I know that you don't like Zacian but I think it would be worth it) That way if you go first you can finish off your turn by drawing some cards, and hopefully be able to attack with Weezing next turn. I think since you're running Volcarona GX it would be fine to run another 2-prize pokemon.

Maybe add in a bit more fire energy too. Maybe 11-12.

Well, I hope I helped!

Thanks for offering some feedback, @tyl3366! The Big Charms are there to help me survive 1 Brave Blade (remember, I'm playing in a no-ADP format). I don't feel the need for Roxie to spread additional damage or trying to use Koffing CEC for the spread effect, my deck functions well enough on that front as is. Also, I don't have enough Pokemon to use Roxie that effectively. Zacian V is a card to consider, I will probably try with 1 for added consistency. Scoop Up Net can be reduced in favor of more Switch, I agree with you there. Great Ball may seem impractical, however, it does greatly help the deck more than Pokemon Communication would. I have the potential to get a Pokemon I want without having a more difficult cost to achieve (Pokemon Communication requires me to have a Pokemon in hand, a condition that's surprisingly difficult to achieve with 18 total Pokemon). Energy-wise, the deck feels fine, I have 3 Fire Crystal for additional energy retrieval. Another Giant Hearth might help, I need to figure out where to fit that in.

@ellomello044208 I was thinking the big charms were for the Weezings, my bad. 😆 

You could replace the great balls with evolution incense. It doesn’t help you get basics but at least it guarantees that you’ll get something.

Also, I have no idea what you would take out for this but I love judge whistles. It basically makes your deck 56 cards and just makes it so much more consistent.

Edited by tyl3366
  • Upvote 1