Jump to content

Magic The Gathering player thought: This game needs a ranked mode.


AWildJoeChio
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

 

 I've been playing Pokemon on the side for a little bit and been having a blast! That said, this game is sorely missing one feature that may keep me from continuing and that is a ranked mode.  I've read a few topics in the forum on ranked and there seems to be a small divide but most people leaning towards wanting a ranked system. The main Pokemon series has a ranked mode for their competitive fans after you beat the main game so why can't the official Pokemon TCG have a ranked mode. This would make the TCG infinitely more popular. On twitch, the Pokemon Online TCG only garners between 500-1000 daily views and occasionally when a pro-player plays 2000 viewers. Compare that to other TCGs with competitive ladders, Pokemon is a blip despite being apart of the biggest franchise in history. It literally shocked me when I came across the category that it had so few people watching.

 

  This game NEEDS to implement a competitive ladder. A few points on implementation: 

 

  1. The ladder needs a reset. Every month would be best for player retention but every 2-3 (or set release) might be better for this specific game. 
  2. Ladder rewards should be given out based on rank at the end of season. It could be cool cosmetics or packs or cards or a combo.
  3. Ranks should have different tiers to climb to before ascending to a higher rank. Wins should move you up and losses should move you down. You shouldn't be able to de-rank but you could lose tiers inside the rank. 
  4. The top rank should eventually break out into the top X players. This is a carrot for competitive players like myself. I want a numbered rank in Magic so I keep on playing. 

 

This is a very fun game. It's nostalgic and core game design is solid. Please give me a reason to keep playing other than the occasional casual match. 

 

Cheers!

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, AWildJoeChio said:

Hello, 

 

 I've been playing Pokemon on the side for a little bit and been having a blast! That said, this game is sorely missing one feature that may keep me from continuing and that is a ranked mode.  I've read a few topics in the forum on ranked and there seems to be a small divide but most people leaning towards wanting a ranked system. The main Pokemon series has a ranked mode for their competitive fans after you beat the main game so why can't the official Pokemon TCG have a ranked mode. This would make the TCG infinitely more popular. On twitch, the Pokemon Online TCG only garners between 500-1000 daily views and occasionally when a pro-player plays 2000 viewers. Compare that to other TCGs with competitive ladders, Pokemon is a blip despite being apart of the biggest franchise in history. It literally shocked me when I came across the category that it had so few people watching.

 

  This game NEEDS to implement a competitive ladder. A few points on implementation: 

 

  1. The ladder needs a reset. Every month would be best for player retention but every 2-3 (or set release) might be better for this specific game. 
  2. Ladder rewards should be given out based on rank at the end of season. It could be cool cosmetics or packs or cards or a combo.
  3. Ranks should have different tiers to climb to before ascending to a higher rank. Wins should move you up and losses should move you down. You shouldn't be able to de-rank but you could lose tiers inside the rank. 
  4. The top rank should eventually break out into the top X players. This is a carrot for competitive players like myself. I want a numbered rank in Magic so I keep on playing. 

 

This is a very fun game. It's nostalgic and core game design is solid. Please give me a reason to keep playing other than the occasional casual match. 

 

Cheers!

 

Hello @AWildJoeChio

 

Welcome to the forum! :) 

 

Thank you for taking the time to point some things out that may need further attention. 

 

I'm forwarding your feedback and suggestions so that these can be heard. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

There was a petition signed by over 100 different players saying this exact same thing a few months back... I signed it and many professional twitch players did as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

There was a petition signed by over 100 different players saying this exact same thing a few months back... I signed it and many professional twitch players did as well. 

Yea. This game really could benefit from not making casual Pokemon Players play against the more hardcore. A ranked mode would allow competitive players a better environment to test their decks, and a less daunting environment for new players in Unranked.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2020 at 2:18 AM, bls61793 said:

Yea. This game really could benefit from not making casual Pokemon Players play against the more hardcore. A ranked mode would allow competitive players a better environment to test their decks, and a less daunting environment for new players in Unranked.

 

Hello @bls61793

 

That's a good point! :) 

 

Thank you for sharing it with us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played the PTCG back when base set was still legal. I dropped it when I got bored. The way the game plays now feels much closer to what I would have enjoyed as a kid. I've played MtG off and on since 2005. I highly recommend a ranked mode as well. It's what allows competitive players to better tune their decks for the meta and not be playing matches against people that are just playing for fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would definitely love to see ranked for ptcgo. Maybe incorporate it with tournament tickets, I think having extra 3 separate queues (standard/expanded/legacy) would create long waiting times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2020 at 9:49 PM, ProdigalTimTTV said:

I played the PTCG back when base set was still legal. I dropped it when I got bored. The way the game plays now feels much closer to what I would have enjoyed as a kid. I've played MtG off and on since 2005. I highly recommend a ranked mode as well. It's what allows competitive players to better tune their decks for the meta and not be playing matches against people that are just playing for fun. 

 

Hello @ProdigalTimTTV and @oTurtles

 

Thank you for supporting the ranked mode suggestion! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...