Tropical Beach

Nynja314

I've noticed many stall decks play Tropical Beach, and I have a couple questions.

What is the purpose of Tropical Beach? Is it so the stall player can keep their hands full? Is it just to counter other stadiums? Is it to lure the  opponent into using it, making the opponent lose cards?

Is Tropical Beach necessary in stall decks?

Thank you!

Good questions.

1. The purpose is for the stall player to continue drawing cards whilst playing supporters that destroy the opponent instead of finding cards.

2. In expanded, yes and no. It is a very hard card to get. You can play stall decks without it but they're better with it.

• Upvote 2

On 9/19/2020 at 6:49 AM, Raticate555 said:

Good questions.

1. The purpose is for the stall player to continue drawing cards whilst playing supporters that destroy the opponent instead of finding cards.

2. In expanded, yes and no. It is a very hard card to get. You can play stall decks without it but they're better with it.

Hello @Raticate555

Thank you for stepping in to help out the fellow trainer @Nynja314

The main way for a stall deck to win is to strip the opponent of all resources, in order to reach a game state where the opposing deck can no longer operate. The main tools for interacting with your opponent are trainer cards and while certain staples such as Crushing – or Enhanced Hammer can be found in most decks, you are reliant on disruptive supporter cards to do most of the heavy lifting.

However, this all of a sudden means that card draw, which is the main reason supporters are played in any other archetype, is neglected a bit. Usually you'll compensate this by other means to draw extra cards (i.e. by drawing with your Pokemon's Powers), though even then you are often required to refill your hand and Tropical Beach is the perfect card for that.

People who are new to the game often wrongly assume that Tropical Beach has a symmetrical effect. After all both players are given the option to draw cards.

In reality though this is one of the most asymmetrical cards you can find. Let's i9gnore the fact that you are always one draw ahead, simply by playing it and thus having immediate access to the effect. Let's also ignore that you get a use of your first turn when you are on the play and have to skip your supporter & attack.

Even if we remove those out of the equation, you're dealing with a scenario where one deck is build to function under Tropical Beach whereas the other deck is forced to use the effect, thus ignoring their own primary game plan (which is to attack you and take 6 prizes).

You mentioned it could be used to “trick the opponent into using it”, which illustrates the point above pretty good. Every turn your opponent spends using Tropical Beach is a) a turn where they don't attack you and b) another turn where the stadium is in play. If they choose not to use the card the picture doesn't look better, because now you are sitting there with a card that generates an incredible amount of card advantage while simultaneously not interfering with your own game plan.

As for the playability of stall decks in Expanded without Beach: you certainly don't need the card to play stall in Expanded. In fact I'd argue that playing without it will probably help you to understand your deck better and make more right decisions more often, as you have to play with less resources and thus can't allow too many mistakes to happen.

The only deck that comes to mind that lost an insane amount of win-percentage points if you played it without Beach was Wailord stall, all others have always been fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 9/19/2020 at 3:38 AM, Nynja314 said:

I've noticed many stall decks play Tropical Beach, and I have a couple questions.

What is the purpose of Tropical Beach? Is it so the stall player can keep their hands full? Is it just to counter other stadiums? Is it to lure the  opponent into using it, making the opponent lose cards?

Is Tropical Beach necessary in stall decks?

Thank you!

Hello @Nynja314

Your questions got more answers from fellow trainers! Hopefully, you have the doubts resolved. 

Alternatively, please update this same thread with new/more questions so that other trainers can see them.

Thank you!