XxAshCoxX

The Legacy Format: Let's try this again.

XxAshCoxX

I've done this before on here a year or two ago, but I'm trying this again because I think it's a point worth mentioning.

From the end of 2014 throughout 2017, I was a very active player on PTCGO. Some of you may remember me, I doubt it though. During my time in those years I had seen a plethora of new features come up through the TCG that would improve upon the enjoyment of the ******** biggest one for me being the Legacy Format. It continues to be my favorite format to play in to this day, with some of my favorite deck archetypes, such as Plasma TDK still playable in it due to the metagame.

The issue is...Legacy Tournaments were taken down the people running this game, much to my disappointment. I am here to explain why this was an awful idea, and why Legacy tournaments should be returning to PTCGO. I know this is unlikely for anyone actually working on the game to know, but I still think it needs to be said.

The Legacy Format, Trading, and Collecting.

One of the biggest benefits the Legacy Format had was giving new life to the trading community, as well as collecting on this game. A plethora of old cards became accessible to more and more players. This, in turn, gave people more interesting cards to collect as well as creating a lively trading community for these Legacy cards. This is all because the format was giving out HGSS and BW era packs for rewards in tournaments. It was a golden age of the market on this game, to the point where I hadn't seen as much activity before or since, in my time on this game. I was able to build up a collection through it, and even start my own (albeit short-lived) Trading post, where I exchanged much of my extra cards to players who wanted and needed them. 

At this point in time, if you want to collect Legacy cards, you're out of luck. Because HGSS packs are no longer accessible in a tradeable fashion, only the players who played during this time-most of which top-level traders in the game- own HS era cards. As someone who wants to re-collect these cards on here, this throws a large amount of difficulty into that, and makes me not want to play the game as much. I could open packs from the shop, but those are trade-locked. I would much prefer to have cards I can display in my collection. That's part of the appeal of real-life collecting, you can put together your binders to show others and talk about your collections. If someone, such as myself wants to do this nowadays with BW and HGSS era cards, this is harder than ever to do. My favorite cards in the entire TCG are from these eras, and I would like to collect them on here because I have fun doing so. 

Bringing back Legacy Tournaments will only benefit the trading section of this game. It will give people more to collect and strengthen the in-game trading economy by creating the supply needed for the demand that cannot be fulfilled anymore.

The Legacy Format and Accessibility 

A follow-up to the previous section, and this part should be obvious. Assume that a player wants to get into the Legacy format. They saw a video somewhere showing off a deck that looked fun, or they see it in the game wondering what it is, or they just want something different after playing against the same three standard decks over and over. Now they want to hunt out the cards that they need to put together a deck, such as Junk Arms. All they can do now is buy packs and hope they get those cards they need. Someone wants to play Genesect? It's not easy pulling two or three Celebi Prime, and even harder to trade for them in this day and age. Putting together a deck, in real life and the online TCG involves trading and obtaining cards besides just opening packs hoping you get the one thing you need. Nobody would ever be able to put together a proper deck if your only option was pulling cards. Not having these tournaments is dismissing anybody who wants to get into this format, and it's discouraging anybody to even try to participate in this format. It isn't fair to those people.

The Legacy Format, Variety, and Preferences

Another thing that Legacy gave to this game was an added amount of variety. Instead of the typical theme, standard, and expanded, you could play a new format with its own unique metagame. Oftentimes people want variety to keep them engaged in whatever game they're playing. Tournaments are a huge part of the TCG, and its one of the best ways to get packs in the game. When you're playing the same deck or format over and over again, you're bound to get sick of it. This is why Legacy can only benefit engagement in this game for some. Not everyone will instantly switch to Legacy to mix things up a little, but a lot of people could. 

This all being said, some people-such as myself- don't like the established Standard, Expanded, and Theme formats. I much prefer playing Legacy over any of these three. Yes, there is the VS ladder, But after I've finished going up the ladder, I can't do anything else with my decks besides play a few daily matches to get some rewards. It would be a lot better if I can have my decks be put to use in a tournament, where I can test my skills and earn more than just the daily rewards. 

I don't like Sword and Shield's TCG, nor do I care much for Sun and Moon. So, a player such as myself who prefers the older cards is at a disadvantage because of it. I don't get rewarded as much as the people who are playing Standard, etc. because the format I prefer isn't supported in tourneys. This is discouraging me, and other players from actually giving my time to this game. I would like to, because I have had a ton of fun with it in the past, but it doesn't feel rewarding to play like this. 

Countering the "Lack of Activity" Reasoning

The reason that Legacy went down, or so I have heard, was due to a "lack of activity." While this may have been true then, I see a lot of people in VS playing Legacy. I get matches fairly reliably, if not a slightly higher wait-time than a Standard or Expanded match. I would assume, these days this would also translate to tournaments. A slightly longer wait time, but that's it. People still play this format, and I'm sure there would still be tournament activity if it was seen more.

In Conclusion...

I think my points here show exactly why Legacy Tournaments did nothing but benefit the game. It let the trading community flourish, it gave people like myself a drive to actually engage in your product, and it breathed new life into older cards. It gave people more to do in this game, where ever since, there's been nothing new. Not having it discourages players such as myself from engaging more in this game, and it discourages new players to enjoy a large part of this game as well.

I don't see any reason the Legacy format's tournaments should be kept defunct. It does nothing to benefit the game, and only causes overall harm to it.  Wouldn't take that much time to put these tournaments back in at all. It'd make players like myself and many others a lot more engaged in the game like we were during its peak. As of now, it feels like an empty shell of its former self.

My comments, I know most likely won't be put into consideration, and that disappoints me immensely. That being said, I hope the mods and the developers at TPCi take their time to actually listen to what I had to say and take into consideration my feedback. 

Edited by XxAshCoxX
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Mod_GuruLot
9 hours ago, XxAshCoxX said:

I've done this before on here a year or two ago, but I'm trying this again because I think it's a point worth mentioning.

From the end of 2014 throughout 2017, I was a very active player on PTCGO. Some of you may remember me, I doubt it though. During my time in those years I had seen a plethora of new features come up through the TCG that would improve upon the enjoyment of the ******** biggest one for me being the Legacy Format. It continues to be my favorite format to play in to this day, with some of my favorite deck archetypes, such as Plasma TDK still playable in it due to the metagame.

The issue is...Legacy Tournaments were taken down the people running this game, much to my disappointment. I am here to explain why this was an awful idea, and why Legacy tournaments should be returning to PTCGO. I know this is unlikely for anyone actually working on the game to know, but I still think it needs to be said.

The Legacy Format, Trading, and Collecting.

One of the biggest benefits the Legacy Format had was giving new life to the trading community, as well as collecting on this game. A plethora of old cards became accessible to more and more players. This, in turn, gave people more interesting cards to collect as well as creating a lively trading community for these Legacy cards. This is all because the format was giving out HGSS and BW era packs for rewards in tournaments. It was a golden age of the market on this game, to the point where I hadn't seen as much activity before or since, in my time on this game. I was able to build up a collection through it, and even start my own (albeit short-lived) Trading post, where I exchanged much of my extra cards to players who wanted and needed them. 

At this point in time, if you want to collect Legacy cards, you're out of luck. Because HGSS packs are no longer accessible in a tradeable fashion, only the players who played during this time-most of which top-level traders in the game- own HS era cards. As someone who wants to re-collect these cards on here, this throws a large amount of difficulty into that, and makes me not want to play the game as much. I could open packs from the shop, but those are trade-locked. I would much prefer to have cards I can display in my collection. That's part of the appeal of real-life collecting, you can put together your binders to show others and talk about your collections. If someone, such as myself wants to do this nowadays with BW and HGSS era cards, this is harder than ever to do. My favorite cards in the entire TCG are from these eras, and I would like to collect them on here because I have fun doing so. 

Bringing back Legacy Tournaments will only benefit the trading section of this game. It will give people more to collect and strengthen the in-game trading economy by creating the supply needed for the demand that cannot be fulfilled anymore.

The Legacy Format and Accessibility 

A follow-up to the previous section, and this part should be obvious. Assume that a player wants to get into the Legacy format. They saw a video somewhere showing off a deck that looked fun, or they see it in the game wondering what it is, or they just want something different after playing against the same three standard decks over and over. Now they want to hunt out the cards that they need to put together a deck, such as Junk Arms. All they can do now is buy packs and hope they get those cards they need. Someone wants to play Genesect? It's not easy pulling two or three Celebi Prime, and even harder to trade for them in this day and age. Putting together a deck, in real life and the online TCG involves trading and obtaining cards besides just opening packs hoping you get the one thing you need. Nobody would ever be able to put together a proper deck if your only option was pulling cards. Not having these tournaments is dismissing anybody who wants to get into this format, and it's discouraging anybody to even try to participate in this format. It isn't fair to those people.

The Legacy Format, Variety, and Preferences

Another thing that Legacy gave to this game was an added amount of variety. Instead of the typical theme, standard, and expanded, you could play a new format with its own unique metagame. Oftentimes people want variety to keep them engaged in whatever game they're playing. Tournaments are a huge part of the TCG, and its one of the best ways to get packs in the game. When you're playing the same deck or format over and over again, you're bound to get sick of it. This is why Legacy can only benefit engagement in this game for some. Not everyone will instantly switch to Legacy to mix things up a little, but a lot of people could. 

This all being said, some people-such as myself- don't like the established Standard, Expanded, and Theme formats. I much prefer playing Legacy over any of these three. Yes, there is the VS ladder, But after I've finished going up the ladder, I can't do anything else with my decks besides play a few daily matches to get some rewards. It would be a lot better if I can have my decks be put to use in a tournament, where I can test my skills and earn more than just the daily rewards. 

I don't like Sword and Shield's TCG, nor do I care much for Sun and Moon. So, a player such as myself who prefers the older cards is at a disadvantage because of it. I don't get rewarded as much as the people who are playing Standard, etc. because the format I prefer isn't supported in tourneys. This is discouraging me, and other players from actually giving my time to this game. I would like to, because I have had a ton of fun with it in the past, but it doesn't feel rewarding to play like this. 

Countering the "Lack of Activity" Reasoning

The reason that Legacy went down, or so I have heard, was due to a "lack of activity." While this may have been true then, I see a lot of people in VS playing Legacy. I get matches fairly reliably, if not a slightly higher wait-time than a Standard or Expanded match. I would assume, these days this would also translate to tournaments. A slightly longer wait time, but that's it. People still play this format, and I'm sure there would still be tournament activity if it was seen more.

In Conclusion...

I think my points here show exactly why Legacy Tournaments did nothing but benefit the game. It let the trading community flourish, it gave people like myself a drive to actually engage in your product, and it breathed new life into older cards. It gave people more to do in this game, where ever since, there's been nothing new. Not having it discourages players such as myself from engaging more in this game, and it discourages new players to enjoy a large part of this game as well.

I don't see any reason the Legacy format's tournaments should be kept defunct. It does nothing to benefit the game, and only causes overall harm to it.  Wouldn't take that much time to put these tournaments back in at all. It'd make players like myself and many others a lot more engaged in the game like we were during its peak. As of now, it feels like an empty shell of its former self.

My comments, I know most likely won't be put into consideration, and that disappoints me immensely. That being said, I hope the mods and the developers at TPCi take their time to actually listen to what I had to say and take into consideration my feedback. 

Hello @XxAshCoxX

Thank you for taking the time to share your point of view on Legacy Tournaments' significance and benefit. 

I'm passing your feedback along to the development team for their consideration. 

XxAshCoxX

I do hope this is taken into consideration and really thought on. I'm going to continue to push for this to return, though I am aware of how difficult it will be. I hope the right choices are made in the end though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mod_GuruLot
9 hours ago, XxAshCoxX said:

I do hope this is taken into consideration and really thought on. I'm going to continue to push for this to return, though I am aware of how difficult it will be. I hope the right choices are made in the end though.

Hello @XxAshCoxX

Your intention is clear though no guarantees as to when or if this suggestion would be implemented. Let's hope!

SHSuperSonic

I do hope this is taken into consideration too, i really love to see more player in legacy playing the game !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Mod_GuruLot
7 hours ago, SHSuperSonic said:

I do hope this is taken into consideration too, i really love to see more player in legacy playing the game !

Hello @SHSuperSonic

Thank you for joining this topic! :) 

OelBoy

I'm posting now because the game was just updated.

Every time there is maintenance or a game update I'm crossing my fingers to maybe see a shred of Legacy support being (re-)implemented but I'm always left disappointed.

This may sound like a personal issue (I'm just hoping we Legacy fans are not a vocal minority), but I can only, once again, tell you how much I love playing Legacy and that it's a crying shame support for it has been cut off, making the format borderline inaccessible for newer players or players with little disposable cards/ pack stock.

My first forum post being in a thread regarding the reinstatement of Legacy tournaments should be a testament to how much this means to me. And judging by the regularity of forum threads regarding this topic or - might I say - issue tells me that I am not alone.

Thank you to whoever reads this

Sincerely, someone who is not yet ready to lose hope.

Edit: PS: Also a HUGE Thank You to everyone who keeps fighting for Legacy and sharing their ideas!

Edited by OelBoy
Spacing
  • Upvote 3

AsgarGrimm

Can I play decks without  GX, EX, V, Tag Team pokemons? Not Theme deck.

Otakutron
3 hours ago, AsgarGrimm said:

Can I play decks without  GX, EX, V, Tag Team pokemons? Not Theme deck.

Yes.  You can always play what you want, so long as the cards themselves aren't Banned or too old.  I don't think either of those are a concern in the Legacy Format, though some of us might like to see a Ban List considered.

If you mean can you build a competitive deck without such cards, there are no Pokémon-GX (TAG TEAM or otherwise) or Pokémon V in the Legacy Format.  There are Pokémon-EX and Pokémon LEGEND cards, but not every competitive deck uses them... at least, they didn't when I last played.

If you mean you don't want to face them, that's a separate topic.