The Legacy Format: Let's try this again.

XxAshCoxX

I've done this before on here a year or two ago, but I'm trying this again because I think it's a point worth mentioning.

From the end of 2014 throughout 2017, I was a very active player on PTCGO. Some of you may remember me, I doubt it though. During my time in those years I had seen a plethora of new features come up through the TCG that would improve upon the enjoyment of the ******** biggest one for me being the Legacy Format. It continues to be my favorite format to play in to this day, with some of my favorite deck archetypes, such as Plasma TDK still playable in it due to the metagame.

The issue is...Legacy Tournaments were taken down the people running this game, much to my disappointment. I am here to explain why this was an awful idea, and why Legacy tournaments should be returning to PTCGO. I know this is unlikely for anyone actually working on the game to know, but I still think it needs to be said.

The Legacy Format, Trading, and Collecting.

One of the biggest benefits the Legacy Format had was giving new life to the trading community, as well as collecting on this game. A plethora of old cards became accessible to more and more players. This, in turn, gave people more interesting cards to collect as well as creating a lively trading community for these Legacy cards. This is all because the format was giving out HGSS and BW era packs for rewards in tournaments. It was a golden age of the market on this game, to the point where I hadn't seen as much activity before or since, in my time on this game. I was able to build up a collection through it, and even start my own (albeit short-lived) Trading post, where I exchanged much of my extra cards to players who wanted and needed them. 

At this point in time, if you want to collect Legacy cards, you're out of luck. Because HGSS packs are no longer accessible in a tradeable fashion, only the players who played during this time-most of which top-level traders in the game- own HS era cards. As someone who wants to re-collect these cards on here, this throws a large amount of difficulty into that, and makes me not want to play the game as much. I could open packs from the shop, but those are trade-locked. I would much prefer to have cards I can display in my collection. That's part of the appeal of real-life collecting, you can put together your binders to show others and talk about your collections. If someone, such as myself wants to do this nowadays with BW and HGSS era cards, this is harder than ever to do. My favorite cards in the entire TCG are from these eras, and I would like to collect them on here because I have fun doing so. 

Bringing back Legacy Tournaments will only benefit the trading section of this game. It will give people more to collect and strengthen the in-game trading economy by creating the supply needed for the demand that cannot be fulfilled anymore.

The Legacy Format and Accessibility 

A follow-up to the previous section, and this part should be obvious. Assume that a player wants to get into the Legacy format. They saw a video somewhere showing off a deck that looked fun, or they see it in the game wondering what it is, or they just want something different after playing against the same three standard decks over and over. Now they want to hunt out the cards that they need to put together a deck, such as Junk Arms. All they can do now is buy packs and hope they get those cards they need. Someone wants to play Genesect? It's not easy pulling two or three Celebi Prime, and even harder to trade for them in this day and age. Putting together a deck, in real life and the online TCG involves trading and obtaining cards besides just opening packs hoping you get the one thing you need. Nobody would ever be able to put together a proper deck if your only option was pulling cards. Not having these tournaments is dismissing anybody who wants to get into this format, and it's discouraging anybody to even try to participate in this format. It isn't fair to those people.

The Legacy Format, Variety, and Preferences

Another thing that Legacy gave to this game was an added amount of variety. Instead of the typical theme, standard, and expanded, you could play a new format with its own unique metagame. Oftentimes people want variety to keep them engaged in whatever game they're playing. Tournaments are a huge part of the TCG, and its one of the best ways to get packs in the game. When you're playing the same deck or format over and over again, you're bound to get sick of it. This is why Legacy can only benefit engagement in this game for some. Not everyone will instantly switch to Legacy to mix things up a little, but a lot of people could. 

This all being said, some people-such as myself- don't like the established Standard, Expanded, and Theme formats. I much prefer playing Legacy over any of these three. Yes, there is the VS ladder, But after I've finished going up the ladder, I can't do anything else with my decks besides play a few daily matches to get some rewards. It would be a lot better if I can have my decks be put to use in a tournament, where I can test my skills and earn more than just the daily rewards. 

I don't like Sword and Shield's TCG, nor do I care much for Sun and Moon. So, a player such as myself who prefers the older cards is at a disadvantage because of it. I don't get rewarded as much as the people who are playing Standard, etc. because the format I prefer isn't supported in tourneys. This is discouraging me, and other players from actually giving my time to this game. I would like to, because I have had a ton of fun with it in the past, but it doesn't feel rewarding to play like this. 

Countering the "Lack of Activity" Reasoning

The reason that Legacy went down, or so I have heard, was due to a "lack of activity." While this may have been true then, I see a lot of people in VS playing Legacy. I get matches fairly reliably, if not a slightly higher wait-time than a Standard or Expanded match. I would assume, these days this would also translate to tournaments. A slightly longer wait time, but that's it. People still play this format, and I'm sure there would still be tournament activity if it was seen more.

In Conclusion...

I think my points here show exactly why Legacy Tournaments did nothing but benefit the game. It let the trading community flourish, it gave people like myself a drive to actually engage in your product, and it breathed new life into older cards. It gave people more to do in this game, where ever since, there's been nothing new. Not having it discourages players such as myself from engaging more in this game, and it discourages new players to enjoy a large part of this game as well.

I don't see any reason the Legacy format's tournaments should be kept defunct. It does nothing to benefit the game, and only causes overall harm to it.  Wouldn't take that much time to put these tournaments back in at all. It'd make players like myself and many others a lot more engaged in the game like we were during its peak. As of now, it feels like an empty shell of its former self.

My comments, I know most likely won't be put into consideration, and that disappoints me immensely. That being said, I hope the mods and the developers at TPCi take their time to actually listen to what I had to say and take into consideration my feedback. 

Edited by XxAshCoxX
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, XxAshCoxX said:

I've done this before on here a year or two ago, but I'm trying this again because I think it's a point worth mentioning.

From the end of 2014 throughout 2017, I was a very active player on PTCGO. Some of you may remember me, I doubt it though. During my time in those years I had seen a plethora of new features come up through the TCG that would improve upon the enjoyment of the ******** biggest one for me being the Legacy Format. It continues to be my favorite format to play in to this day, with some of my favorite deck archetypes, such as Plasma TDK still playable in it due to the metagame.

The issue is...Legacy Tournaments were taken down the people running this game, much to my disappointment. I am here to explain why this was an awful idea, and why Legacy tournaments should be returning to PTCGO. I know this is unlikely for anyone actually working on the game to know, but I still think it needs to be said.

The Legacy Format, Trading, and Collecting.

One of the biggest benefits the Legacy Format had was giving new life to the trading community, as well as collecting on this game. A plethora of old cards became accessible to more and more players. This, in turn, gave people more interesting cards to collect as well as creating a lively trading community for these Legacy cards. This is all because the format was giving out HGSS and BW era packs for rewards in tournaments. It was a golden age of the market on this game, to the point where I hadn't seen as much activity before or since, in my time on this game. I was able to build up a collection through it, and even start my own (albeit short-lived) Trading post, where I exchanged much of my extra cards to players who wanted and needed them. 

At this point in time, if you want to collect Legacy cards, you're out of luck. Because HGSS packs are no longer accessible in a tradeable fashion, only the players who played during this time-most of which top-level traders in the game- own HS era cards. As someone who wants to re-collect these cards on here, this throws a large amount of difficulty into that, and makes me not want to play the game as much. I could open packs from the shop, but those are trade-locked. I would much prefer to have cards I can display in my collection. That's part of the appeal of real-life collecting, you can put together your binders to show others and talk about your collections. If someone, such as myself wants to do this nowadays with BW and HGSS era cards, this is harder than ever to do. My favorite cards in the entire TCG are from these eras, and I would like to collect them on here because I have fun doing so. 

Bringing back Legacy Tournaments will only benefit the trading section of this game. It will give people more to collect and strengthen the in-game trading economy by creating the supply needed for the demand that cannot be fulfilled anymore.

The Legacy Format and Accessibility 

A follow-up to the previous section, and this part should be obvious. Assume that a player wants to get into the Legacy format. They saw a video somewhere showing off a deck that looked fun, or they see it in the game wondering what it is, or they just want something different after playing against the same three standard decks over and over. Now they want to hunt out the cards that they need to put together a deck, such as Junk Arms. All they can do now is buy packs and hope they get those cards they need. Someone wants to play Genesect? It's not easy pulling two or three Celebi Prime, and even harder to trade for them in this day and age. Putting together a deck, in real life and the online TCG involves trading and obtaining cards besides just opening packs hoping you get the one thing you need. Nobody would ever be able to put together a proper deck if your only option was pulling cards. Not having these tournaments is dismissing anybody who wants to get into this format, and it's discouraging anybody to even try to participate in this format. It isn't fair to those people.

The Legacy Format, Variety, and Preferences

Another thing that Legacy gave to this game was an added amount of variety. Instead of the typical theme, standard, and expanded, you could play a new format with its own unique metagame. Oftentimes people want variety to keep them engaged in whatever game they're playing. Tournaments are a huge part of the TCG, and its one of the best ways to get packs in the game. When you're playing the same deck or format over and over again, you're bound to get sick of it. This is why Legacy can only benefit engagement in this game for some. Not everyone will instantly switch to Legacy to mix things up a little, but a lot of people could. 

This all being said, some people-such as myself- don't like the established Standard, Expanded, and Theme formats. I much prefer playing Legacy over any of these three. Yes, there is the VS ladder, But after I've finished going up the ladder, I can't do anything else with my decks besides play a few daily matches to get some rewards. It would be a lot better if I can have my decks be put to use in a tournament, where I can test my skills and earn more than just the daily rewards. 

I don't like Sword and Shield's TCG, nor do I care much for Sun and Moon. So, a player such as myself who prefers the older cards is at a disadvantage because of it. I don't get rewarded as much as the people who are playing Standard, etc. because the format I prefer isn't supported in tourneys. This is discouraging me, and other players from actually giving my time to this game. I would like to, because I have had a ton of fun with it in the past, but it doesn't feel rewarding to play like this. 

Countering the "Lack of Activity" Reasoning

The reason that Legacy went down, or so I have heard, was due to a "lack of activity." While this may have been true then, I see a lot of people in VS playing Legacy. I get matches fairly reliably, if not a slightly higher wait-time than a Standard or Expanded match. I would assume, these days this would also translate to tournaments. A slightly longer wait time, but that's it. People still play this format, and I'm sure there would still be tournament activity if it was seen more.

In Conclusion...

I think my points here show exactly why Legacy Tournaments did nothing but benefit the game. It let the trading community flourish, it gave people like myself a drive to actually engage in your product, and it breathed new life into older cards. It gave people more to do in this game, where ever since, there's been nothing new. Not having it discourages players such as myself from engaging more in this game, and it discourages new players to enjoy a large part of this game as well.

I don't see any reason the Legacy format's tournaments should be kept defunct. It does nothing to benefit the game, and only causes overall harm to it.  Wouldn't take that much time to put these tournaments back in at all. It'd make players like myself and many others a lot more engaged in the game like we were during its peak. As of now, it feels like an empty shell of its former self.

My comments, I know most likely won't be put into consideration, and that disappoints me immensely. That being said, I hope the mods and the developers at TPCi take their time to actually listen to what I had to say and take into consideration my feedback. 

Hello @XxAshCoxX

Thank you for taking the time to share your point of view on Legacy Tournaments' significance and benefit. 

I'm passing your feedback along to the development team for their consideration. 

I do hope this is taken into consideration and really thought on. I'm going to continue to push for this to return, though I am aware of how difficult it will be. I hope the right choices are made in the end though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, XxAshCoxX said:

I do hope this is taken into consideration and really thought on. I'm going to continue to push for this to return, though I am aware of how difficult it will be. I hope the right choices are made in the end though.

Hello @XxAshCoxX

Your intention is clear though no guarantees as to when or if this suggestion would be implemented. Let's hope!

I'm posting now because the game was just updated.

Every time there is maintenance or a game update I'm crossing my fingers to maybe see a shred of Legacy support being (re-)implemented but I'm always left disappointed.

This may sound like a personal issue (I'm just hoping we Legacy fans are not a vocal minority), but I can only, once again, tell you how much I love playing Legacy and that it's a crying shame support for it has been cut off, making the format borderline inaccessible for newer players or players with little disposable cards/ pack stock.

My first forum post being in a thread regarding the reinstatement of Legacy tournaments should be a testament to how much this means to me. And judging by the regularity of forum threads regarding this topic or - might I say - issue tells me that I am not alone.

Thank you to whoever reads this

Sincerely, someone who is not yet ready to lose hope.

Edit: PS: Also a HUGE Thank You to everyone who keeps fighting for Legacy and sharing their ideas!

Edited by OelBoy
Spacing
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AsgarGrimm said:

Can I play decks without  GX, EX, V, Tag Team pokemons? Not Theme deck.

Yes.  You can always play what you want, so long as the cards themselves aren't Banned or too old.  I don't think either of those are a concern in the Legacy Format, though some of us might like to see a Ban List considered.

If you mean can you build a competitive deck without such cards, there are no Pokémon-GX (TAG TEAM or otherwise) or Pokémon V in the Legacy Format.  There are Pokémon-EX and Pokémon LEGEND cards, but not every competitive deck uses them... at least, they didn't when I last played.

If you mean you don't want to face them, that's a separate topic.

• 3 months later...

I would also like to see it. To be honest, I don't really understand why it isn't there. Most legacy players are pretty serious and would like the tournament format. 

I much prefer Legacy because Tagteam, GX and V have essentially made stage 2 evolutions utterly worthless, which to me makes the game quite unsatifying, since in OG days actually being able to get all the cards and turns needed to get a stage 2 into play was the most exciting part. Charizard as a basic pokemon? Get outta here. Pokemon fan club was never meant to stack a bench with horrendously overpowered pre-evolved monsters. To me, this kind of game makes very little sense; just a game of stack and sweep.

Legacy tournaments plese. I don't mind waiting longer for players. Better games > longer wait times

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Tagglepuss said:

I much prefer Legacy because Tagteam, GX and V have essentially made stage 2 evolutions utterly worthless, which to me makes the game quite unsatifying, since in OG days actually being able to get all the cards and turns needed to get a stage 2 into play was the most exciting part.

In the OG days, most cards were terrible for competitive play, and competitive play was dominated mostly by big, Basic Pokémon.  If Legacy is any different, I suspect it is because certain combinations or decks are... well... broken.  You know the kind of decks about which I speak; it takes them two or three turns to set up, but once they do, there is little to no chance you can beat them.

I wouldn't mind Legacy getting some love.

I want balance between the Stages of evolution.

I also know there never has been good balance between the different Stages of evolution.  Some periods are better than others, but it was a problem even in the beginning of the game.  After all these years, I am convinced it is because they keep trying to make Evolutions faster and/or more powerful... instead of balancing the inputs for the Stages.  Basics meant to be main attackers shouldn't have Energy acceleration that lets them start wrecking Turn 2 (or Turn 1 under the BW-era rules!).  Evolving Basics and Stage 1 Pokémon should actually contribute to things like setting up, so that they as valuable as the Trainers that usually go into the same deck slots when focusing on non-evolving Basics.  Etc.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Tagglepuss said:

I would also like to see it. To be honest, I don't really understand why it isn't there. Most legacy players are genters and would never enter a tournament.

I fixed this for you buddy

Edit: yeah I made a joke and if it's unpopular, it's the fact it hit a nerve, but I traded a bunch of cards(a lot of packs)  ages ago to try legacy, it's unplayable because of the genters who spam you with angry emotes if you don't concede and then concede or people who concede because they hit head or whatever the flip for taking concede is. It felt every time that this is at least every other match, unless that's fixed first, I really think there's  absolutely ZERO point in them reinstating the Tourneys...

Keep downvoting me if you're sore.... maybe it will ease your salty wounds

Edited by nekoshounen
Explaining my joke
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have similar thoughts as @nekoshounen.  Not the whole "salty wounds" thing that type of talk is nonconstructive and holds zero value from everyones pov (even his own I bet, I mean he's up voted at the time of typing - I helped - yet throws shade about possibly being downvoted 🙄).

I refer to the sentiment he shared that Legacy tournaments won't be back and genting is an on-going problem.

I like Legacy cards a lot. When I started to play I concentrated on collecting them over standard/expanded because I liked the card art and the overall feel - for lack of a better word - a Legacy deck gives.

I sadly can't see Legacy tournaments happening. If I see figures that show that Legacy mode is currently popular enough online to ensure decent wait times, plus the tournaments I enter isn't populated with genting - I'd reconsider.

I doubt people who gent would enter tournaments but there's always gonna be some (maybe lots like there currently is in the basic versus mode - who knows for sure). I can even think of reasons why people who gent would want to enter as much as not wanting to enter Legacy tournaments. Sad indeed.

I stopped playing Legacy a while back due to genting. It just got too tedious for myself. I do have a few people on my friends list who I play against in private matches with the decks I made but it's not the same - always knowing what your up against for eg (depending on who I play).

I would like the Legacy scene online in-game to be viewed in the same light as Standard and Extended mode etc tournaments included, I just don't see it happening.

Edited by GrimBeard
Adding a word or two.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:01 PM, nekoshounen said:

I fixed this for you buddy

Edit: yeah I made a joke and if it's unpopular, it's the fact it hit a nerve, but I traded a bunch of cards(a lot of packs)  ages ago to try legacy, it's unplayable because of the genters who spam you with angry emotes if you don't concede and then concede or people who concede because they hit head or whatever the flip for taking concede is. It felt every time that this is at least every other match, unless that's fixed first, I really think there's  absolutely ZERO point in them reinstating the Tourneys...

Keep downvoting me if you're sore.... maybe it will ease your salty wounds

Were there more Downvotes at once time?

I Liked it because I got the joke and thought it was funny.  Though, with the edit, I'm not sure I do anymore. XP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otakutron said:

I Liked it because I got the joke and thought it was funny.  Though, with the edit, I'm not sure I do anymore. XP

Same.

2 hours ago, Otakutron said:

I don't think so.

Edited by GrimBeard
Adding a sentence and a quote.
  • Like 1

I just do NOT like the fact that you can't get tradable HGSS packs anymore, unless someone has played from a long time ago. I wish these tournaments are brought back and also, I wonder when in any tournament if you get 2nd or 1st you get less random packs and instead get vivid voltage. This is just annoying. Of course, I like the game, but I'm hoping this gets changed.

• Upvote 3

Why not have HGSS era packs in the prize pool of Expanded tournaments? I mean, of course it's kind of counter-intuitive to give out non-Expanded-legal cards, but since they are tradable it would at least help the game economy...

And be the only "reasonable" way I can think of doing that without straight up readding Legacy tournaments to the game. (which I would prefer as you might've guessed already)

Edit: To be nitpicky, many HGSS era packs also do include Expanded-legal cards, notably Energies and Switch/ Pokemon Communication.

Edited by OelBoy
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Otakutron said:

Yes there were, I had 2 downvotes and 0 likes/up at the time I posted that, I'm in EU TimeZone so you guys might have missed the 1 downvote disappearing after my original edit

8 hours ago, nekoshounen said:

Yes there were, I had 2 downvotes and 0 likes/up at the time I posted that, I'm in EU TimeZone so you guys might have missed the 1 downvote disappearing after my original edit

Must have.  I remember Liking before the Edit, but apparently that's just my mind playing tricks on me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to see Legacy tournaments return as well, as it's really the only format I play all that much besides occasionally theme. I just came back from a few years break (Legacy tourneys were taken down shortly before I stopped playing for a while and I was sad to see them go).

Additionally, I also miss the token-entry tournaments where you could win tournament tickets. Now the tickets are harder to get and there's less for me to spend tokens on.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I came back to the game after a few years of break and I mostly got legacy cards, I hope that the tournaments come back so the game is more fun to play.

• Upvote 3