Helping my little brother make his first Charizard Standard deck.

XBMYosho

Okay folks below is what my little brother has to work with. He can only play theme (regular Relentless Flame) and expanded right now (but gets destroyed) so it's discouraging watching me and my friend play with our decks.

I actually don't have a lot of fire cards because I just don't play it honestly but what is the most budget friendly version that's good for standard here. He doesn't have Marnie or 4 Rare Candies, no Giant Hearths either.

He got his very first Darkness Ablaze card that was actually a Charizard V and was excited to use it.

He has 1 pack he won from a tournament and I have a few left over and tradable cards.

What do we think folks, what can we do?

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 1 Charizard V DAA 19
* 4 Charmander TEU 12
* 2 Ponyta FLF 14
* 1 Charmeleon TEU 13
* 2 Rapidash TEU 18
* 4 Charizard TEU 14

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 2 Blacksmith FLF 88
* 3 Fire Crystal UNB 173
* 2 Welder UNB 189
* 3 Pokémon Communication TEU 152
* 3 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Evosoda XY 116
* 2 Brock's Grit TEU 135
* 3 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Rare Candy CES 142
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Switch SSH 183

##Energy - 12

* 12 Fire Energy BLWEnergy 4

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I'm pretty impressed! There are some things that can be changed though 😉.

I myself would cut the Charizard V, as its really not a playable card at all, but you could work with it. A good budget option would be Rayquaza (Guardians Rising), instead of the Charizard V. This deck usually likes to have no 2 prize card Pokemon.

Since you seem to be on a budget, you will probably keep this a straight Charizard list, but if you could, get your hand on about 3 Jirachi (Team Up), and 2 Escape Board to combo with it. I would cut the 2-2 Rapidash line.

Lose the two Blacksmith, and add 2 more Welder. It's just the better card.

If you somehow could, definitely get 1 or 2 more Rare Candy, and if you can't, you might run one more Charmeloen just to be safe. You could keep the Evosoda, but I would cut them. Especially if you only keep the one Chameleon and cut the 2-2 Rapidash line.

I like the Research's. You could bump that up to four, and lose one Cynthia.

Definitely try to get your hands on Heat Factory (Prism) as well. If you can't, dump something for at least one Scorched Earth.

Bump Ultra Ball up to 4, and lose the Nest Balls for Quick Balls. Also, cut the Communication, and I would definitely lose 1-2 Fire Crystal especially if you stick with 2 copies of Brock's Grit.

I think that's all for me! Have fun!

Instead of Jirachi, if you're keeping the deck Expanded, which you would be if you ran Escape Board, you can run Alolan Vulpix GRI. Inferior to Jirachi TEU, sure, but definitely a much cheaper option that also helps. Evolution Incense is better than Evosoda because it can get you a Charizard if you have Rare Candy so I'd suggest playing with it. Turtonator DRM can be a good alternate attacker, it's available in a Theme Deck that also contains 2 copies of Welder, convenient enough. Unlike @WingsofFire1014, I don't like Professor's Research as it can cost you valuable resources. Cynthia lets you conserve cards and it gives you almost as many cards. In Expanded, running some N instead of Cynthia is also a valid swap. There's no reason to run Quick Ball over Nest Ball if you don't have Basic Pokemon with abilities that activate when you play them onto your Bench. Right now, you could actually use Level Ball instead of either because it would allow you to find Charmeleon if you needed it. Heatran GX is definitely better than Charizard V, if you can get your hands on it. After your little brother accumulates more cards, he can try to build a Charizard VMAX deck, but that's a deck for another day. Brock's Grit is debatable, I'd say maybe keep 1 copy but throw in an Ordinary Rod or 2. Ordinary Rod is a Brock's Grit that does its job better in many cases, plus it can be played in the same turn as a draw Supporter, greatly expanding your options.