Rotation is here!!!!!

guruguy87

Time to edit all my decks and prepare them for the new standard format and configure some new fun deck ideas using Team Up onward!!! This is both sad, but exciting at the same time!!! Yahoo!! Let's have some fun deck building ideas folks! I will be quite actively posting my actual deck-lists in here and ideas for decklists for cards I do not yet own, but am seeking to own/excited for others to make. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R8Spike said:

I'm looking into mad party, but rime is a pack a card :(

Hard to get for 1 pack as well .

Had to trade 5 packs for the 4 of them 🤯

I’m trying to improve the 40 Pokémon Chandelure deck. It’s been doing well so far, and it hasn’t really lost anything to rotation. I’m also running a Gyarados TEU deck, it survived rotation pretty well as the most common card in the deck is Water energy.

Edited by ellomello044208

6 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

I’m trying to improve the 40 Pokémon Chandelure deck. It’s been doing well so far, and it hasn’t really lost anything to rotation. I’m also running a Gyarados TEU deck, it survived rotation pretty well as the most common card in the deck is Water energy.

What engine do you use in the Gyarados? I'm interested because I couldn't figure out how to make it good before rotation.

41 minutes ago, Raticate555 said:

What engine do you use in the Gyarados? I'm interested because I couldn't figure out how to make it good before rotation.

I'm currently using a Green's Exploration engine with Pokegear 3.0 and Pokemon Breeder's Nurturing as my secondary Supporter. The deck was better pre-rotation with Crasher Wake instead of Pokemon Breeder's Nurturing, but it's still okay. 

9 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

How have you improved the Chandelure deck? Could you give us your decklist?

I'm trying it with Oranguru SSH to boost consistency as well as some more Trainer cards that help with situations I often run into, like Air Balloon to help move my Active Pokemon or Energy Spinner to get basic energy if my opponent plays Giant Hearth. The deck doesn't have the consistency that other decks do, but it's a lot of fun to play. Here's the list I'm currently using:

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 38

* 2 Oranguru SSH 148
* 3 Falinks RCL 109
* 4 Litwick UNM 28
* 4 Lampent RCL 32
* 1 Ninetales TEU 16
* 4 Chandelure UNM 30
* 2 Incineroar UNB 29
* 1 Eldegoss V RCL 19
* 4 Gossifleur SSH 20
* 1 Oricorio-GX CEC 95
* 4 Sobble SSH 55
* 4 Drizzile SSH 56
* 4 Inteleon SSH 58

##Trainer Cards - 17

* 4 Pokémon Communication TEU 152
* 1 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 1 Giant Hearth UNM 197
* 1 Energy Spinner UNB 170
* 1 Dusk Stone UNB 167
* 1 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 1 Brock's Grit TEU 135
* 1 Air Balloon SSH 156
* 1 Fire Crystal UNB 173
* 3 Rosa CEC 204
* 2 Rare Candy CES 142

##Energy - 5

* 5 Fire Energy SWSHEnergy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

It's clunky, as any deck with almost 40 Pokemon would be, but it does work.

Edited by ellomello044208
Added deck list.
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ash101416744 said:

Oranguru is actually a great additon to the deck, but I dont know about air balloon though.

I have experienced too many instances of having a Pokemon stuck in the Active Position for a round and not being able to move it for me to not include 1 copy, as out of place as it may seem. With the Trainer search that the deck has, it feels helpful. I'm also considering using Cinderace SSH with Libero as an alternate attacker, I prefer it to Charizard TEU because it hits a little harder and I run too little energy in my deck to use Charizard that effectively.

• Like 1

^About air balloon and chandelure... I feel chandelure decklists I have seen run too few energy which is why the struggle of having a pokemon stuck in active unable to retreat occurs with that deck. I have a disruptive mill deck (and a "can't attack" deck) that would gust and easily stall out the chandelure deck into an auto-loss vs me. Something I feel alot of the higher meta decks do sometimes have an issue with is running too few energy, but on the other side having too many energy is also limiting your ability to run useful playable trainers or better pokemon/more tech pokemon. All about balance of course. 

As far as decks I"m testing out or creating (I did just get out of the hospital then went on a short vacation) is an upgraded version of Galarian Sirfetched and have enjoyed that. Taken some wins against Eternatus! :):) (weakness obviously helps) But I also played against a unique toxitricity deck that used glimwood tangle. Keep beating myself up over how I played the match and lost a very close game because I never removed their glimwood tangle by playing my martial arts dojo (one of 3 copies I have in my deck). Made the silly decision early on to  "Don't play any cards and use my marnie in the late game to shuffle many more cards back into my deck", that strategy did not work as planned since my opponent also played marnie twice on me to generally keep my hand size low while continuing to flip at least one heads most of the time. (they did in fact almost mill themselves out where they had 9 left). I also think I made things worse by deciding to start attacking later in game and more importantly into a cursed shovel. And guess what 2 cards was discarded? Marnie and Dojo. (had 10 cards in my hand at that point and it may have shifted tide back to my favor if i drew a dojo from the marnie). The best way to beat toxitricity mill (at least in my matchup with my particular deck) would have been to force it to mill itself by removing glimwood tangle not allowing it to make the "risk taker" mill attack into being better than it is. I imagine for decks that don't run stadiums it is likely close to an auto-loss since 5 cards being milled most of the time is very strong and hard to deal with. Playing against mill decks are always more interesting of a mind stretch which I typically enjoy, but in this particular case I am beating  myself up over what did indeed in retrospect seem like bad choice. :( This was my first time going up against any toxitricity deck so there was no previous experience about the "best way to handle it". Now I know, Now I know... lol.  Or maybe I don't know and there was more I could have done other than sit there hoping they would mill themselves. (After turn 1 they already had only 29 cards left in their deck so that factored into my decision) Plus I could have drawn into a dojo improving my odds immensely. It's just one loss, just one loss. I tell myself. (I hate freaking losing ever tho, lol)

sidenote: It does seem that currently stadiums are very important to have in order to counter other decks stadium. (certainly the case in my match-up) Some decks are heavily reliant on a stadium to overall strategy. I got a feeling that glimwood tangle is going to be all over the place for many months in many various decks, turns coin flip attacks into higher % in their favor... 

I want to build that grimmisnarl/hydreigon, but don't yet have the cards. The corviknight flying taxi with intelion vmax and frosmoth is something I have my eye on too, but again don't yet have all the cards. Have yet to play Decidueye, almost have what I want in it!! And quite excited to build soon my Tyranitaur deck!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

^About air balloon and chandelure... I feel chandelure decklists I have seen run too few energy which is why the struggle of having a pokemon stuck in active unable to retreat occurs with that deck. I have a disruptive mill deck (and a "can't attack" deck) that would gust and easily stall out the chandelure deck into an auto-loss vs me. Something I feel alot of the higher meta decks do sometimes have an issue with is running too few energy, but on the other side having too many energy is also limiting your ability to run useful playable trainers or better pokemon/more tech pokemon. All about balance of course.

The struggle isn't the low energy count in my deck for retreating my Pokemon, it's the lack of energy acceleration in my deck. I can only attach one energy per turn and if I want to pull off the attack on that turn, I need to attach the energy to my attacking Pokemon, assuming that the previous attacking Pokemon was Knocked Out last turn. However, if my attacking Pokemon can't be in the Active Position for whatever reason, Air Balloon gives me a way to switch into the my attacker that can be potentially reused. For example, if I want to fill my Bench up but don't have a Gossifleur or Falinks on my Bench when my Active Pokemon is Knocked Out, I can search for an Air Balloon to get the Pokemon with Call for Family into the Active Position.

^You already know this I'm about 99.99999999% sure (lol), but if you need energy acceleration and you are playing fire there is one special card that helps with that... welder. 

Playing a supporter that requires you to have energy in hand instead of playing a tool when they both accomplish pretty much the same thing? hmm...