Wobbuffet V vs. Big Parasol interaction

PrPopcorn

Wobbuffet V's Gritty Comeback attack does as follows:

Switch all damage counters on this Pokemon with those on your opponent's Active Pokemon.

So what exactly happens when this attack is performed against a Pokemon with a Big Parasol attached?

Big Parasol:

As long as the Pokemon this card is attached to is in the Active Spot, prevent all effects of attacks from your opponent's Pokemon done to all of your Pokemon.

(Existing effects are not removed. Damage does not count as an effect.)

Are all damage counters from Wobbuffet V removed, not effecting the Big Parasol Pokemon? Does nothing happen? Or does the attack work normally?

The attack will not go through normally. Big Parasol prevents all effects of attacks, except damage, so Wobbuffet V would most likely fail to put its damage counters onto the Defending Pokémon or remove the damage counters from the Defending Pokémon, but it would remove Wobbuffet V’s damage counters.

Edited by ellomello044208

As long as the Pokémon this card is attached to is in the Active Spot, prevent all effects of attacks from your opponent’s Pokémon done to all of your Pokémon. (Existing effects are not removed. Damage is not an effect.)

[C][C] Gritty Comeback
Switch all damage counters on this Pokémon with those on your opponent’s Active Pokémon.

If "switching" is just short hand for moving the damage counters from Pokémon A to B and B to A simultaneously, then Wobbuffet V will still move the damage counters off of itself, but Big Parasol will block them actually being moved onto your opponent's Active.  Big Parasol will then also prevent its own damage counters from being moved off of it, so Wobbuffet V will receive no new damage.  In other words, Gritty Comeback can be used as healing in this situation.

3 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

The attack will not go through normally. Big Parasol prevents all effects of attacks, except damage, so nothing should happen. Wobbuffet V would put its damage counters onto the Defending Pokemon, which is protected by Big Parasol, and also take damage counters off of the Defending Pokemon, which would still be protected by Big Parasol.

11 minutes ago, Otakutron said:

If "switching" is just short hand for moving the damage counters from Pokémon A to B and B to A simultaneously, then Wobbuffet V will still move the damage counters off of itself, but Big Parasol will block them actually being moved onto your opponent's Active.  Big Parasol will then also prevent its own damage counters from being moved off of it, so Wobbuffet V will receive no new damage.  In other words, Gritty Comeback can be used as healing in this situation.

Hmm these 2 replies contradict. I guess someone should go test.

Edited by PrPopcorn

1 hour ago, PrPopcorn said:

Hmm these 2 replies contradict. I guess someone should go test.

It really does matter if "switching" is seen as its own mechanic, or just short hand for the movement of damage counters.  In the past, effects that move Energy, damage counters, etc. could move off of a legal target, but if the recipient blocked the effect, they were just discarded/lost.

You can test in the PTCGO, but it isn't a reliable source for rulings, unless they are long settled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Otakutron said:

It really does matter if "switching" is seen as its own mechanic, or just short hand for the movement of damage counters.  In the past, effects that move Energy, damage counters, etc. could move off of a legal target, but if the recipient blocked the effect, they were just discarded/lost.

You can test in the PTCGO, but it isn't a reliable source for rulings, unless they are long settled.

I believe you are correct about the rulings, Wobbuffet V can be effectively healed with Gritty Comeback, the damage counters would be removed and then not placed on the Defending Pokémon. Looking at the previous rulings for Chandelure using Shady Move to move damage counters onto a Pokémon that is protected by Machoke’s Daunting Play implies that the damage counters can be removed as you stated, but they wouldn’t be placed on the other Pokémon. I’ll correct my original post.

• Like 1

I have a sneaky strong feeling this one may require a higher official at PTCI to take a deeper look at.... Real complicated... and of course with one of my favorite cards (wobuffet V) which used to be one of my most hated cards when I first encountered it in this game. I'm sure Otakutron recalls my post about it back in April.... lol. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Damage Change   (Mewtwo EX - BREAKthrough) (copy link to this section)

Q. What happens if Mewtwo EX uses its "Damage Change" attack against a Pokemon that blocks effects of attacks? Does nothing happen, or does Mewtwo EX get to remove its damage counters?
A. Mewtwo-EX would remove its damage counters, but the opponent's Active Pokemon would not remove nor receive any. If you try to move damage *to* something that blocks effects, the damage disappears. If you try to move damage *from* something that blocks effects, the damage stays there. (Oct 29, 2015 TPCi Rules Team)

From this ruling... everything should be clear
Wobbuffet will move its damage counters to the opposing active, get blocked so it heals to full
The opposing active will try to move its damage counters off but get blocked by big parasol so it doesn't get healed
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BukWyrm said:

Damage Change   (Mewtwo EX - BREAKthrough) (copy link to this section)

Q. What happens if Mewtwo EX uses its "Damage Change" attack against a Pokemon that blocks effects of attacks? Does nothing happen, or does Mewtwo EX get to remove its damage counters?
A. Mewtwo-EX would remove its damage counters, but the opponent's Active Pokemon would not remove nor receive any. If you try to move damage *to* something that blocks effects, the damage disappears. If you try to move damage *from* something that blocks effects, the damage stays there. (Oct 29, 2015 TPCi Rules Team)

From this ruling... everything should be clear
Wobbuffet will move its damage counters to the opposing active, get blocked so it heals to full
The opposing active will try to move its damage counters off but get blocked by big parasol so it doesn't get healed

P][P][C] Damage Change
Switch all damage counters on this Pokémon with those on your opponent’s Active Pokémon.

Yeah, that answers that.  Even uses the "switch" terminology.  Thanks!