What to do with PikaRom deck now?

metzgerOTR

I just picked up a Pikachu Zekrom League Battle Deck at Target the other day and am wanting to upgrade it as we all know it doesn't come with the key cards all pro players use.

Would you upgrade the PikaRom deck to the current 2020 Rotation Format? Meaning you could technically only play it this way for the next few days before the rotation.

Obviously I couldn't play in a tournament next month if I have those cards...so the deck would either be stored away with other decks from previous generations (some upgraded some not - all decks/cards which are no longer "legal" to play in 2021 Standard). Usually I have 2 decks from a set/year so if I wanted to bust out the Base Set Decks my nephew and I could play against one another or we each could use a Plasma Freeze/Plasma Blast deck and battle it out.

Or would you upgrade the deck keeping it post rotation for the 2021 season which starts in the next few days? Meaning Thunder Mountain, Electro Power and a bunch of the other great cards will need to be replaced with other cards.

From the looks of it the deck won't be nearly as powerful/quick post rotation. There will for sure be better decks than PikaRom this season as it won't be as strong as it previously was now that a bunch of key cards will no longer be allowed.

Right now, I wouldn't bother updating Pikarom. It may be worth coming back to later as a rogue deck, as the post-rotation meta develops further and you can see which decks are more successful. But Pikarom's time in the spotlight is over. That is not to say that your investment was a waste though. The 4 Jirachi are still quite good and usable, even without Escape Board in the post-rotation format. Some of the other Trainer staples will also be helpful to constructing a new Standard deck. If you're looking to update the deck, or just trying to get more cards for Standard, I suggest getting the Trainer Toolkit, as it comes with Boss's Orders, a very helpful gusting card, and Dedenne GX, a good support Pokemon, as well as more Trainer staples.