My thoughts on best cards of Darkness Ablaze

guruguy87

Went through the set looking at all the cards and abilities. A few things for deck ideas come to mind and cards that are interesting or useful or powerful. 
I try to put a "standard" spin  on it. Since expanded spin would be a whole lot more to write. 

Decidueye ***** (Is a meta changing card where meta V/GX decks will need to adjust) (grimsley seems helpful here too and major healing hyper potions, full heals, etc like obstagoon but better.)
Golisopod *** (This guy as as stage 1 can smash 200+ for only a twin energy) 
Corvigknight ****(elite. Haven't heard much hype about this, but I love love the ability same as Acerola, huge upside to save 3 prize attackers from being KO'ed)
Centiskorch Vmax ***** (elite. I have played a few games against it already. elite. Extremely powerful and fast which is almost a broken combination) 
Hoondoom V (overrated for a V honestly esp for fire, maybe use with spikemuth?) 
Vanillalux (fun ability, but I fear as a stage 2 and requires a coin flip not as awesome. Glimwood tangle obvious partner and air balloon)
Suicune (solid damage for 3 energy on a single prize basic pokemon)
Galarian Darmanitan (4 energy for 170 using some acceleration is great damage per energy and one of the most powerful single prize water attackers in game) 
Beartic (3 energy for 150 is very *********** even with the damaging itself a bit) 
Dracovish ** (Ruins evolution decks. If a deck only has evolves it is an auto-win seemingly, still far too many good basics in format)
Ampharos (solid fast attacker that gives you alot for very little energy, but maybe not "enough" damage to be highly competitive, still good tho)
Manectric (again 3 energy for 150 is solid, plus low retreat cost)
Vikavolt V **** (item lock, excellent partner with other item lockers, will single handedly shut down many decks that require their item cards to win. Also good with yell horn)
Toxitricity mill ** (Pair with glimwood tangle or "Will" and lt surge's strategy and this could be a highly effective mill deck 5 cards at a time!)
Tapu Koko (nice helper to setup/start game to draw 2 cards and has a useful slightly powerful attack for 3 energy if desperate for attacker)
Arctozolt *** (very unique ability and some interesting partners now/future could make even better)
Mew V * (Victini V is quite good, this is the same attack and should bring some heavy damage at times esp vs high energy attackers and meta has many of them now)
Granbull (he is in here because it isn't awful. 3 energy for 130. Not amazing, but still can be used if you need a psychic deck?) 
Gothitelle **** (I love love love this card. It is like night watch of trev/dusknoir. Very disruptive. Possible partner with pangoro and jessie/james and others hand disruption deck?) 
Tyranitaur ***** (elite. 250 damage! for 4 energy and the pupitar seeks it out to quickly evolve. +Buff Padding 230HP on a single prizer who smashes for 250, yeah elite. With Coaloassal?)
Flygon (fun card if your opponent relies on many stadium cards, but not "great") 
Hippopowdon (3 energy for possible 240 is up in elite category, use with glimwood tangle. 3 energy for 2 heads 160 damage is heavy damage as well)
Galarian Sirfetchd ** (love this card. 3 for 180 simply elite damage output, use many switches, birdkeeper, etc. downside is can be overcome)
Ariados ** (The ability to gust here without supporter is powerful. I recon many many decks will run a 2-2 line of it.)
Crobat V *** (very awesome night asset ability, not a good attacker tho)
Darkrai (3 for 120 is solid. Also has hard shell damage reduction. Another good dark pokemon from this set)
Hydreigon ***** (elite. Another Magnezone, supreme unlimited energy acceleration, awesome pair with Grimmisnarl Vmax 270 damage or Whimsicott GX and cards that draw through deck to get more energy. This is one of the most exciting cards of the entire set and should be a supreme staple in dark decks for the next 2 years. elite. Whole reason set is called "Darkness Ablaze" IMO)
Hoopa (90 for a single energy is huge, but need to play plenty of switching options)
Grimmisnarl V * (this is still very good for a V, 3 energy for 200 elite category attack despite that downside of 2 energy to hand esp with hydreigon)
Grimmisnarl VMax **** (one of the better vmax of this set, 3 for 170 is already great, but can max out at 270 for 5 energy! Epic with hydreigon)
Eternatus Vmax ***** (2 energy 270 damage. Nutty. Bonkers. Almost Broken. Even with less bench still crazy good for only 2 energy. So many good dark pokemon can be paired)
Scizor Vmax *** (Very hard to knockout, if you pair it up with Luca/Melmetal could be quite indestructible with healing added) 
Aggron (the ability of sturdy is worth it, if only magnezone metal wasn't rotating this would be  a perfect partner. 4 energy for 160 hits hard tho)
Excavalier (for a single energy it can hit for 150 if flips go well. Glimwood tangle? Fun card kinda, not super consistent/competitive I recon)
Galarian Stunfisk V **** (The more I read this card the more I'm impressed at how OP it is. 2 energy for 180 damage essentially... AND then it is a stellar ability. elite. yup. elite. Needs to be gusted around to limit it's impact, but one of these can be extremely hard to KO while dishing out 180, yup yikes. Expanded? Even more elite.)
Copperajah * (I compare this to the sword/shield one and it isn't "better", but also isn't really "worse". Both are very good single prize heavy hitters.) 
Lugia  * (3 energy for 120 is nice. It isn't elite or extremely amazing, but is quite nice. The real key is this single prize colorless good attacker can fit in any deck)
Dunsparce (possibly useful in a mill deck as a sacrifice while you are still setting something else up)
Delcatty * (The first attack gusts up a pokemon AND gives confusion to that pokemon which is real nice, and still has a 2nd attack 3 energy 90 damage is just ok)
Salamence V * (bench damage could be part of a major bench damage deck, 4 for 160 is fine)
Salamence Vmax *** (Single energy for fast 80 damage total with the bench damage is fantastic! Then hits very hard 4 for 240, but can't use same attack again downside)
Staraptor ** (like this card alot. Single energy fast 80 damage AND moves energy where you need it. Then 2nd attack 3 for 170. yup sign me up)
Swanna * (Can attack for free and hit hard!)
Mad Party (best attacker is bunnelby for a twin energy, curious if the deck will be very good)
Sky Circus (ability that allows attack for free is on a number of pokemon in this set. Could be fun meme deck)
Greedent *** (hit and run for 100 damage for a single twin energy. Great with poke-dolls or maybe decidueye) 
Big Parasol (really curious to see this be used)
Birdkeeper **** (it is a switch welder, 2 functions in one card, very very good)
Cape of Toughness ***** (makes basic pokemon even better, as if that was needed? lol)
Glimwood Tangle ***** (yup elite. Card will be used in many decks that use coin flips)
Pokemon Breeders nuturing (those "all evolution decks" just got some help. lol, but in all seriousness this helps any evolution decks including vmaxes)
Rose **** (I really love this card combined with rose tower or other draw help get you back ur hand size, like blue's tactics and lt. surge strategy combined)
Rose Tower ** (if you always are discarding cards or have low hand sizes frequently this stadium is awesome, if not this stadium is not useful. Also, it helps your opponent)
Spikemuth *** (nice with Arctozolt. nice with damage spread decks. Also nice to damage yourself if need be)
Turbo Patch ** (energy acceleration to basic pokemon, yeah should see plenty of play. I don't like the coin flip tho)
Yell Horn **** (an item card that creates confusion! yup sign me up. Can rescue you out of bad situations near defeat, etc. Another hypnotoxic lazer sorta)
Heat Energy *** (makes centiskorch vmax even more elite and other fire pokemon as if fire needed "more support" pfff nope it doesn't)
Hiding Energy * (So dark not only gets all these awesome new dark cards, but free retreat! Darkness is indeed ablaze)
Powerful Colorless ***** (a very good card that adds damage for salamence vmax to get up to 280 or others to hit the numbers you need, play with snorlax V? "Swallow" heal 100+ per turn?!? yup.There are so many combinations this card will be used for)

Took me about 2 hours to compose this. These were the cards that stood out most to me as far as competitive viability or maybe fun abilities and attacks. Did I miss some? (Rhyperior V I realize I missed, not stellar hard to get going) What are some of your thoughts? Disagreed on some of my rankings? Or see something of a combo worthy to mention? Ready set discuss. 

Edited by guruguy87
had a few things needed to fix
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

Vanillalux (fun ability, but I fear as a stage 2 and requires a coin flip not as awesome. Glimwood tangle obvious partner and air balloon)

Ariados ** (The ability to gust here without supporter is powerful. I recon many many decks will run a 2-2 line of it.)

Galarian Stunfisk V **** (The more I read this card the more I'm impressed at how OP it is. 2 energy for 180 damage essentially... AND then it is a stellar ability. elite. yup. elite. Needs to be gusted around to limit it's impact, but one of these can be extremely hard to KO while dishing out 180, yup yikes. Expanded? Even more elite.)

Salamence V * (bench damage could be part of a major bench damage deck, 4 for 160 is fine)

Big Parasol (really curious to see this be used)

Glimwood Tangle ***** (yup elite. Card will be used in many decks that use coin flips)

Pokemon Breeders nuturing (those "all evolution decks" just got some help. lol, but in all seriousness this helps any evolution decks including vmaxes)

For better or worse, Glimwood Tangle only lets you re-flip coins for your attacks, not the abilities of Pokemon like Vanilluxe. With Bird Keeper and Air Balloon, Vanilluxe does have some viability though, it won't be as good as Dustox Cryogonal, but it'll be something.

Ariados has some potential, but it can only gust Evolution Pokemon, making it somewhat difficult to justify playing it as a 2-2 in most decks when you have Boss's Orders which can pull out any Pokemon.

Galarian Stunfisk V is an absolute beast. It sucks that we're losing Magnezone UPR to rotation, I've had some hilarious games with Stunfisk having 8+ energy attached and a decent win streak too.

Salamence V with Welder could very well be the base for a new spread deck around Weezing UNB or Weezing CEC. I'm going to try it out once I get my hands on some more copies.

Big Parasol is the most helpful for Obstagoon, but it can be good for Decidueye too. If Dragapult VMAX ever makes a comeback, this will be the card that stops it in its tracks, it protects ALL of your Pokemon from effects of the opponent's attacks as long as the Pokemon the card is attached to is in the Active Position.

Glimwood Tangle has reopened the doors for coin-flipping Pokemon, I'm looking forward to seeing if any new Pokemon can rise to stardom riding the shoulders of this neat card. Unfortunately, I believe there was a ruling in Japan (and there will likely be one here too) that Glimwood Tangle and Victory Star don't stack, preventing some downright ridiculous chances for Agility and other single coin-flip attacks.

Pokemon Breeder's Nurturing won't be seen that often, as it isn't exactly better than Evolution Incense in a normal deck. The only deck I can see using this is Gyarados TEU because you want to save your Gyarados from being accidentally discarded and you don't exactly have many other Supporter cards to play.

Edited by ellomello044208

Vanillalux, can't believe i missed that. Thanks for the correction. 

We agree a million percent on Galarian Stunfisk

Good ideas for Salamence V, any colorless pokemon and welder combinations are very good. 

Yup when I first read big parasol i kept thinking "this is the best counter to dragapult vmax", and to be fair I still think Dragapult Vmax is elite tier deck. 

Yup on Evo incense too, better card. Using a supporter per turn to evolve two pokemon is at least better than some other options tho. 

• Upvote 1

You mentioning the Corviknight has got me on a craze trying to break the card. Only Scooping effect for Vmaxes, just can't figure out which ones can capitalise on it. Orbeetle next set maybe?

Edited by Raticate555

The best VMAX Pokemon for Corviknight are those without a common Weakness, like Stonjourner VMAX or Cinderace VMAX. Unless you run into a Grass deck, Stonjourner will take a hit, and even if it is a Grass deck, they need to hit at least 170 damage for the OHKO. Likewise, there isn't a great Water deck in Standard at the moment so Cinderace should take a hit from anything. Right now, I'd stay away from Dragapult VMAX because of Eternatus VMAX, Eternatus VMAX because it can already remove itself from play with some Devolution Spray stuff, Inteleon VMAX and Lapras VMAX because Pikarom and Vikavolt are flying around right now, and Rillaboom VMAX because of Centiskorch VMAX and Baby Blacephalon.

Edited by ellomello044208