Why is Water so Weak?

kurtsurf

I have a pretty awesome Standard fire deck that I have fun with. But my favorite type has always been water. I've crafted a pretty cool water deck, but I keep getting matched up against fire/psychic/electric deck and I'm getting steam rolled. 

It seems like the main issue is the lack of energy attaching cards/abilities for water. Fire decks can play a rare candy and a welder and KO my Milotic V in their first turn! 

Any thoughts on this? Its a huge bummer. 

Release a big water hitter and/or better Water acceleration for the ACTIVE(not Water acceleration that is exclusive to water types on the Bench, and NOT the Active, such as Frosmoth), and maybe Water will not only be not as weak as it is now BUT better than the other types again, as it was back in the Deluge Blastoise days...

Edited by Jammer87
  • Upvote 1

@kurtsurf I wouldn't call Water weak, at least not in Expanded. In Standard, yes, Water is a pretty weak type. There are some decks like Inteleon VMAX which are decent, but there's no Water deck that stands among the top tier meta. In Expanded, there is Archie's Blastoise, an amazing Water deck that's still a top deck, despite its fall from BDIF. While the attackers in the deck have strayed more down the Mewtwo and Mew GX path, there are still Water attackers for the deck that can be used. I highly recommend trying it out, it's relatively expensive to build if you don't already have the Shaymin EX, but it's a ton of fun and it shouldn't get steamrolled very easily.

14 minutes ago, ellomello044208 said:

@kurtsurf I wouldn't call Water weak, at least not in Expanded. In Standard, yes, Water is a pretty weak type. There are some decks like Inteleon VMAX which are decent, but there's no Water deck that stands among the top tier meta. In Expanded, there is Archie's Blastoise, an amazing Water deck that's still a top deck, despite its fall from BDIF. While the attackers in the deck have strayed more down the Mewtwo and Mew GX path, there are still Water attackers for the deck that can be used. I highly recommend trying it out, it's relatively expensive to build if you don't already have the Shaymin EX, but it's a ton of fun and it shouldn't get steamrolled very easily.

Makes sense. I don't play expanded at all. Perhaps I should give it a shot. 

44 minutes ago, Jammer87 said:

Release a big water hitter and/or better Water acceleration for the ACTIVE(not Water acceleration that is exclusive to water types on the Bench, and NOT the Active, such as Frosmoth), and maybe Water will not only be not as weak as it is now BUT better than the other types again, as it was back in the Deluge Blastoise days...

Couldn't agree more! Its like whoever I make my first active pokemon has to be a sacrifice while I use Frosmoth to power up my bench. Now a days they use Boss's Orders to make my Frosmoth active and ko it so I'm left playing one energy a turn while they have a fully powered Charizard lol

I guess maybe you have to prioritize getting down a second Snom so that when your opponent KOs your Frosmoth, you have another ready to go.