I Just started playing PTCGO because of my son's theme deck

Acesacesaces

I started playing Pokemon TCG online and the journey so far is great. new mechanics to the pokemon tcg rules, like GX, EX and tag team. haven't played this like 20 years or so. any advice on playing and building deck. I am using a Sun and moon with alolan ninetales( awesome by the way) .

Alolan Ninetales BUS is a really strong card that should get you through the first part of the game (the EX-GX cards) and allow you to start playing some matches against other things. I suggest using Aqua Patch for energy acceleration, the Alolan Vulpix GRI with Beacon, and another strong attacker to deal with non-EX or GX Pokemon, like Pokemon V. Pokemon V are relatively new to the game and so the early game meta hasn't been that transformed by the cards, but you should beware that Alolan Ninetales isn't protected from them by its ability, Luminous Barrier. The new Decidueye from Darkness Ablaze has the ability Forest Cameo, which protects it from all damage dealt by V Pokemon and GX Pokemon. It's not as safe as Alolan Ninetales in the sense that other effects of attacks (i.e.: damage counters, Special Conditions, etc.) aren't prevented by its ability, but it should be fine regardless. Between the two of them, your deck should have a good answer to the big Pokemon decks. If you want to go even further, play Scoop Up Net to pick up all of your other Pokemon that aren't immune to your opponent's big Pokemon. The Kingdra from the Luminous Barrier Theme Deck is a good attacker, it's able to take out multiple Pokemon at once, winning you the Prize exchange and its attacks only cost 1 energy. You can also use other attackers like Alolan Exeggutor FLI who are very tanky and will be able to dish out 120 damage pretty easily and can take multiple hits with the help of cards like Bodybuilding Dumbbells to boost Exeggutor's HP to 200. Personally, I suggest using Alolan Exeggutor over Kingdra, Kingdra is a Stage 2 Pokemon, making it much harder to set up. Alolan Exeggutor can be combined with Shuckle LOT whose ability Fresh Squeezed helps you throw 3 basic energy from your deck into your discard, powering up Alolan Exeggutor's attack. To pay for these attack costs, you can use Unit Energy Water, Fire, and Grass.

• Like 1

Wow, been researching the cards and imagining how will it play out. aqua patch and the Alolan Vulpix GRI will be a must for me then. What i can't figure out is how to set up the Alolan Exeggutor and Shuckle, will i need to have like 5 or more lead energy card or non entirely? Also should i add an Alolan Ninetales GX or Tapu Fini GX for the extra attacker? and in terms of rotation how many GX or EX, or V can you have in the deck? thank you!!

1 hour ago, Acesacesaces said:

I started playing Pokemon TCG online and the journey so far is great. new mechanics to the pokemon tcg rules, like GX, EX and tag team. haven't played this like 20 years or so. any advice on playing and building deck. I am using a Sun and moon with alolan ninetales( awesome by the way) .

i think that alolan ninetales works really well against a lot of the decks that are played nowadays, my deck wouldnt stand a chance as i play a deck based around mew ex and ultra necrozma- i think that as it does 3 energies for only 80 damage, i would recommend another strong attacker, alolan ninetales gx (if you have it available  to you) would be good as it eveolves from the same alolan vulpix, we couldgive you some more suggestions if you post your decklist here (on tcgo, go to deck manager, then click on your deck and press the eye icon that comes up, then click export deck and go onto here and paste your decklist)

lastly, i really support what you are doing to share an interest with your son, my cousin got me into tcgo and it strengthened our relationship a lot. Good luck on your journey! 

Alolan Exeggutor will require a bit more intricate gameplay than is necessary. Using Alolan Ninetales GX and Tapu Fini GX as your secondary attackers will be far simpler and easier to fit into the deck. You can have up to 60 GX/EX/V Pokemon in a deck, but that would be your whole deck. Like all other cards, with the exception of basic Energy, you are limited at 4 copies of a card with the same name.