putting 4 copies of the cards

Cooldude

As far as i know 4 copies of card that do the same purpose cant be played in one deck like putting 4 junipers and 4 prof sycammores in one deck but i have seen ppl use 4 pokemon catchers and pokemon reversals.Is that allowed ? if Yes then why?if not then i request the developers to fix it.

Professor's Research, Professor Sycamore, Professor Juniper are limited to 1 type and 4 copies of the three cards.
Lysandre and Boss's Orders are limited to 1 type and 4 copies. 

Meaning you can't have Sycamore in a deck with Juniper, or Magnolia, and you can't have Boss's Orders if you already have Lysandre in the deck. (et cetera)

The same rule does not apply to Pokemon Catcher and Pokemon Reversal as there has been no publication stating such. I believe the only two known cases of this is Prof Research(and Sycamore and Juniper) and Boss's Orders (Lysandre).

• Upvote 1

Although there are rules regarding Boss's Orders and similar cards, and Professor's Research and similar cards, there are no publication stating that the same applies to Pokemon Catcher and Pokemon Reversal, hence you can play 4 copies of Pokemon Catcher and 4 copies of Pokemon Reversal in the same deck as they have different names. This is not a problem on the part of the PTCGO developers. The compendium entries for Professor's Research and Boss's Orders are included below.

Professor's Research    (Sword & Shield)

* In the Expanded format, there's already a rule that says you can't include Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper in the same deck; players must choose one or the other. The same rule applies to Professor's Research, meaning it cannot be in the same deck as Professor Sycamore or Professor Juniper. (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Boss's Orders    (Rebel Clash)

* Lysandre and Boss's Orders cannot be included in the same deck. This is similar to the rule that says Professor Juniper, Professor Sycamore, and Professor's Research cannot be included in the same deck. (Apr 16, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)
Edited by BukWyrm
misread last post

3 hours ago, Cooldude said:

As far as i know 4 copies of card that do the same purpose cant be played in one deck like putting 4 junipers and 4 prof sycammores in one deck but i have seen ppl use 4 pokemon catchers and pokemon reversals.Is that allowed ? if Yes then why?if not then i request the developers to fix it.

There is no such general rule. If for some odd reason you really want to, you could have 4 copies each of Cheren, Tierno, Hau, and Hop in an expanded deck.

As BukWyrm pointed out, Juniper/Sycamore/Research (similarly Lysandre/Boss's Orders) are specifically not allowed in the same deck as each other. They're the only cases in the current sanctioned formats.

• Upvote 2

If you want extra gust though, Guzma is an option. Not sure why anyone would want to play more than 4 Supporter based gust anyway. You most certainly want to play more Sycamore if you could so I guess that rule is doing it's job well.

I do play 2 Pokemon Reversal and 4 Pokemon Catcher in my Legacy deck, Snorlax Laser, which wants plenty of gusting to outdo the switching cards.

Edited by Raticate555
  • Upvote 2

Basically, TPCi has decided to take a minimize-restrictions approach and only limit cards that have competitive relevance.  Since the vast majority of cards don't, most duplicates are not restricted.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/13/2020 at 8:02 PM, SuperStone said:

Basically, TPCi has decided to take a minimize-restrictions approach and only limit cards that have competitive relevance.  Since the vast majority of cards don't, most duplicates are not restricted.

Thing is, I'm not sure that is the way to minimize restrictions.  At this point, I don't see a problem with the cards in question all being allowed in the same deck.  When they first introduced a rule for Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper, sure; both cards were Standard-legal and so having more than four Supporters with their effect in the same deck could have been a problem but... that doesn't sound like modern Expanded.  Same for having access to more than four cards with the effect shared by Lysandre and Boss's Orders.

I'm pretty out of touch with Expanded, though.  Anyone feel free to correct me if this would be an actual issue!

I don't think it would be. VS Seeker, Dedenne GX, Shaymin EX and Scoop Up Net have enough draw that playing more than 3 Sycamore these days is uncommon.

Edited by Raticate555
  • Upvote 1