Other ways to get an evolved poke into play without their respective basic forms? (expanded)

FeistyDeity

Hey y'all!

I'm a new player whose looking on some advice for a deck idea - it's about trying to ***** the combo between Alolan Exeggutor TEU 115 and Exeggcute PLF 4.

For those who don't know, the A-Exeggutor has the attack Egg Splat which deals 60 damage for every Exeggcute card you discard from your hand for a low cost of one grass and one colorless, and the Exeggcute has the ability Propagation which allows you to take it out of the discard pile into your hand at the start of your turn.

Ideally of course, you'll be able to consistently discard 4 Exeggcute in order to get the full 240 damage attack, which means not using one as the basic form for the A-Exeggutor. Right now, I know of two ways to accomplish that:

- Ditto {*} LOT 154
- Lance {*} DRM 61 (the A-Exeggutor is dragon type)

I happen to have been lucky enough to get the Ditto from a pack and I'm willing to try and trade for the Lance. I think that technically that will suffice if I run the right cards to reliably get them, but I'm wondering if there are other ways as well to use in addition to these, or instead of them, depending on what would be most reliable. I obviously don't know all the cards yet as a new player, so I'd appreciate your veteran knowledge. :)

• Like 1

You've found the two ways that are arguably most effective. You can also try using Mew EX to copy an Alolan Exeggutor's Egg Splat attack on the Bench. With a Dimension Valley in play, Mew EX will be able to use Egg Splat for 1 Grass energy. The drawback to this strategy is the multi-Prize card sacrifice of Mew EX, but you can try playing Life Dew or other means of giving up fewer Prize cards with Mew EX to offset the disadvantage.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Thanks! I'll def consider it! :)

EDIT: I found one other way, using Altaria CIN 80. With a successful coin flip, you can search your deck for a dragon pokémon (even evolved if google is to be believed) and put it on your bench.

I'm not sure if going through the effort of evolving a swablu to get a coin flip chance for this makes for a valid strategy however. I guess if combined with Will it could work out. It would be something to fall back on when your other means of getting it the E-exeggs are either already depleted or otherwise unavailable.

Edited by FeistyDeity

6 hours ago, FeistyDeity said:

Thanks! I'll def consider it! :)

EDIT: I found one other way, using Altaria CIN 80. With a successful coin flip, you can search your deck for a dragon pokémon (even evolved if google is to be believed) and put it on your bench.

I'm not sure if going through the effort of evolving a swablu to get a coin flip chance for this makes for a valid strategy however. I guess if combined with Will it could work out. It would be something to fall back on when your other means of getting it the E-exeggs are either already depleted or otherwise unavailable.

Altaria is definitely an interesting idea, I believe Dragonite GX UNM has a GX attack that allows you to put 3 Dragon Pokemon from your discard pile onto your Bench. Used with Mewtwo and Mew Tag Team, you could use the GX attack on your first turn for the cost of a Double Colorless Energy and a Dimension Valley. If you're so desperate to get an Alolan Exeggutor into play that'd you'd consider using Altaria, you're better off just evolving 1 Exeggcute into Alolan Exeggutor. You'll still be able to deal 180 damage, and you won't need to commit space to Will, Victini, or another means or re-flipping coins and another Evolution line.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

Altaria is definitely an interesting idea, I believe Dragonite GX UNM has a GX attack that allows you to put 3 Dragon Pokemon from your discard pile onto your Bench. Used with Mewtwo and Mew Tag Team, you could use the GX attack on your first turn for the cost of a Double Colorless Energy and a Dimension Valley. If you're so desperate to get an Alolan Exeggutor into play that'd you'd consider using Altaria, you're better off just evolving 1 Exeggcute into Alolan Exeggutor. You'll still be able to deal 180 damage, and you won't need to commit space to Will, Victini, or another means or re-flipping coins and another Evolution line.

Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking myself.

Altaria would only be worth it purely for the dedication to the gimmick. It's a gimmicky deck, so it's an argument you can make honestly, but I do think that you shouldn't shoot yourself in the foot too much. :D

Speaking of doing that, I've made a couple decks by now (been playing loyally for 2-3 weeks now) but for now, I've been sort of steering clear of using any GX, EX or tag team pokémon whatsoever. Not that I necessarily think they're overpowered - my most successful deck so far seems to have a very positive win rate so far (I'm not sure if you can check the exact stats, cuz it only seems to show my wins against the testing AI) - but I just don't like the cards at all. I find regular pokémon cards, and building strategies and combos around them, much more charming than just using another Charizard/Reshiram + Welder deck or whatever cards I keep seeing all day. I know it's more complicated than that and that, especially at higher elo I presume, a lot of original thought goes into using those cards (as well as "regular" mons) but I dunno, I kinda like that at my beginner's elo at least, I've been able to successfully fight the onslaught of big 300 HP cards with my little mons that I don't see anyone else using.

I know that's kinda "pretentious hipster gamer" of me, but it's stronger than myself lol. :)

Not to mention, as a starter, I don't really have too much spare capital anyway. Getting multiple Mew EX sounds like it'll take quite a few packs to trade, which'll slow down the speed at which I can complete my other deck ideas a lot as well, and I tend to have a lot of those.

So for now, I think I'll likely just run without the Mew EX or Dragonite GX (even though those cards are both great suggestions and I do very much appreciate it). I think that if it comes to that, having my late game exeggutors "only" deal 180 damage sounds within the realm of the acceptable.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FeistyDeity said:

Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking myself.

Altaria would only be worth it purely for the dedication to the gimmick. It's a gimmicky deck, so it's an argument you can make honestly, but I do think that you shouldn't shoot yourself in the foot too much. :D

Speaking of doing that, I've made a couple decks by now (been playing loyally for 2-3 weeks now) but for now, I've been sort of steering clear of using any GX, EX or tag team pokémon whatsoever. Not that I necessarily think they're overpowered - my most successful deck so far seems to have a very positive win rate so far (I'm not sure if you can check the exact stats, cuz it only seems to show my wins against the testing AI) - but I just don't like the cards at all. I find regular pokémon cards, and building strategies and combos around them, much more charming than just using another Charizard/Reshiram + Welder deck or whatever cards I keep seeing all day. I know it's more complicated than that and that, especially at higher elo I presume, a lot of original thought goes into using those cards (as well as "regular" mons) but I dunno, I kinda like that at my beginner's elo at least, I've been able to successfully fight the onslaught of big 300 HP cards with my little mons that I don't see anyone else using.

I know that's kinda "pretentious hipster gamer" of me, but it's stronger than myself lol. :)

Not to mention, as a starter, I don't really have too much spare capital anyway. Getting multiple Mew EX sounds like it'll take quite a few packs to trade, which'll slow down the speed at which I can complete my other deck ideas a lot as well, and I tend to have a lot of those.

So for now, I think I'll likely just run without the Mew EX or Dragonite GX (even though those cards are both great suggestions and I do very much appreciate it). I think that if it comes to that, having my late game exeggutors "only" deal 180 damage sounds within the realm of the acceptable.

Sadly, things aren't much different at a higher ELO. The decks with regular Pokemon become more and more obsolete, with the exception of a few. I still can get some good games with my Flyinium Z deck even against top tier stuff like Turbo Dark. In Expanded, the "regular" Pokemon that seems to be at the top at the moment is Ultra Necrozma CEC, a powerhouse of a card that deals 170 damage for a Double Dragon Energy.

It's a tough challenge you've given yourself, but it should be manageable, provided you use decent enough regular Pokemon.

• Upvote 1

I know exactly how you feel, @FeistyDeity.  In my time on the TCGO, I've played almost exclusively rogue or one-prize decks, which is a little bit hard for me as a very competitive person who likes to win. XD I do wish TPCi would print more support for normal pokemon, and try to move the focus away from flashy and expensive cards.  I think it's a shame that the meta is made up almost entirely of high-rarity pokemon, even in support roles.

Despite it being banned ages ago, my first thought upon seeing this thread was still Forest of Giant plants. :P

On 8/11/2020 at 8:55 AM, ellomello044208 said:

Sadly, things aren't much different at a higher ELO. The decks with regular Pokemon become more and more obsolete, with the exception of a few. I still can get some good games with my Flyinium Z deck even against top tier stuff like Turbo Dark. In Expanded, the "regular" Pokemon that seems to be at the top at the moment is Ultra Necrozma CEC, a powerhouse of a card that deals 170 damage for a Double Dragon Energy.

It's a tough challenge you've given yourself, but it should be manageable, provided you use decent enough regular Pokemon.

Could you explain your flyinium Z deck? I am very curious.  Thanks.  

Here's the list I'm using:

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Ditto BCR 108
* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 4 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 2 Voltorb ROS 21
* 2 Electrode-GX CES 48
* 1 Jirachi-EX PLB 60
* 1 Mew UNB 76
* 2 Ducklett BCR 42
* 2 Swanna CEC 60

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Misty & Lorelei CEC 199
* 3 Flyinium Z: Air Slash UNM 195
* 3 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 3 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Ace Trainer AOR 69
* 1 Great Catcher CEC 192
* 1 Dowsing Machine PLS 128
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 3 Order Pad UPR 131

##Energy - 7

* 3 Capture Energy RCL 171
* 4 Water Energy SMEnergy 12

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The deck revolves around using Swanna (a Water Pokemon) in combination with Flyinium Z to use Speeding Skystrike multiple times with Misty and Lorelei while I have no other Pokemon in play so my opponent can't gust around Swanna. To get the necessary energy, I play Electrode GX to use Extra Energy Bomb. Battle Compressor helps me discard the necessary energy as well as Supporter cards to use with VS Seeker. Scoop Up Net helps remove the other Pokemon I have to play down, like an extra Ditto {*} or Shaymin EX. The 4 Exeggcute helps with the high discard cost of Misty and Lorelei.

You could play Ditto from Boundaries Crossed which allows you to evolve one Exeggcute at a time meaning that you can still hit for 180 without having to bench a back up Exeggcute to evolve.

Another idea is put Rescue Scarf on your Ditto Prism Exeggutor so when it is KO'd, you get back Ditto Prism for another use. Combining these two ideas would work well as long as no one Field Blowered your Rescue Scarf.

• Upvote 1