Kiawe Card Should Be Banned

Uprising2020

Is there a reason why the Pokemon franchise has favored fire decks? It is the only deck I know of that can load its cards within seconds thanks to the help of Kiawe, Welder and Blacksmith. Now Pokemon is coming out with a Charizard Vmax that has a crushing move of 300 damage and 330 HP. Will they ban Kiawe now? 

40 minutes ago, Uprising2020 said:

Is there a reason why the Pokemon franchise has favored fire decks? It is the only deck I know of that can load its cards within seconds thanks to the help of Kiawe, Welder and Blacksmith. Now Pokemon is coming out with a Charizard Vmax that has a crushing move of 300 damage and 330 HP. Will they ban Kiawe now? 

I'll assume we're talking about the expanded format here:

No, we won't see a Kiawe ban. Fire does have a lot of support, but before something is banned in expanded, it has to be either:

a) hand disruption

or b) overwhelmingly dominant to the point you have to play a variant of it or you'll lose

Kiawe, or rather fire decks in particular, clearly aren't dominant or overpowered in the expanded format as results from Collinsville or Dallas can show you. We could see a Welder ban if things start suddenly getting out of hand (pun not intentional) with Fire decks, but I highly doubt it as fire hasn't been an expanded archetype. 

As to the Charizard VMAX, 300 might seem a little scary, but big damage doesn't matter as much in expanded, and Snorlax VMAX can do more with a Sky Field in play.  

Edited by Dirnt54
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Kiawe doesn't deserve a ban. If it didn't end your turn, yes it should be banned, but by ending your turn, it doesn't let you immediately take advantage of the energy in the same way Welder can. Kiawe can be tough to deal with for a deck that can't take OHKOs on your opponent's big Fire Pokemon like Reshizard, but it's not strong enough to deal with a deck like Night March that is built to deal ridiculously high numbers of damage out of the gate. In Expanded, losing a turn without being able to attack or take Prize cards means a lot, some decks end the game in one turn (i.e.: donk decks), or decide the game in one turn (Trevenoir hand locking you).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The card is not as strong as it used to be before the turn 1 no Supporter rule. When you couldn't attack turn 1 anyway there was no draw back to accelerating 4 energy onto a Pokemon and ending your turn.

• Upvote 1

Other types have seen this kind of support at different points in time.  I don't think there have ever been three separate supporters for a type legal at the same time before, but the thing is that very few decks will even want to use more than one.  More variety isn't a big deal usually, since one card will take superiority over the others.  Currently, that is Welder. 

Other types with this support:

• Electric recently, with koko prism and thunder mountain.
  • Dark in early B&W, with dark patch
  • Metal right now, with metal saucer and zacian
  • Water, in mid-X&Y, with archie's ace in hole and blastoise

It can be said that all energy types had support at some point in the form of Max Elixir and Ether, even though we don't really consider the decks without at least 1 other means of energy acceleration valid. Don't forget about Water also have Aqua Patch, a Dark Patch for Water type that was better for Water energy acceleration onto Pokemon that didn't require 4-8 energy (the likes of which are better paired with Archie's Ace in a Hole and Blastoise).

• Like 1