Here's a Fun Deck: Milotic V in Expanded.

SuperStone

Howdy. :)  Milotic V is a card that's seen some recognition in Standard, paired with frosmoth for easy power-up.  However, I haven't found any decklists for it in expanded.  Here is mine:

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Dedenne-GX UNB 57
* 1 Alolan Muk SUM 58
* 2 Frillish NXD 34
* 1 Manaphy-EX BKP 32
* 3 Milotic V RCL 43
* 2 Jellicent BCR 45

##Trainer Cards - 37

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 4 Aqua Patch GRI 119
* 1 N PR-BLW 100
* 2 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 2 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 3 Galar Mine RCL 160
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
* 1 Pokémon Ranger STS 104
* 3 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 11

* 8 Water Energy Energy 3
* 3 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Summary and Hype

This deck can do crazy damage.  Milotic's main attack does 10+(50 times the retreat cost of your opponent's active pokemon).  This is not a novel concept, but this is easily the strongest pokemon to use it, and it's paired with the release of an amazing stadium: Galar Mine.  This increases the retreats of all actives by two, adding 100 damage to every attack.  With jellicent's Stickiness ability as well, any pokemon can be OHKOed, except for a few weirdos like Dragapult VMax.  With aqua patch and max elixir for acceleration,  and Manaphy-EX for free retreat, the deck can sometimes attack on its first turn, and can continue to power up attackers faster than they are removed.  This allows it to get ahead in the prize trade and eliminate opposing pokemon that take longer to set up.  The deck lives fast, and when it loses it dies fast.  It can stomp on anything, but sometimes it just can't take prizes as fast as the opponent.

Decklist Analysis

It is a bit risky to only have three copies of the sole attacking pokemon, but this deck is pressed for space.  I rarely lose from running out of milotic, so I'm keeping it thin.  Expanded gives us access to three different retreat-increasing ability pokemon: Team Aqua's Muk, Alolan Dugtrio, and Jellicent.  Muk has the most HP and the most HP on its preevolution, and alolan diglett have some nice zero-energy attacks, but I've chosen jellicent because it works with dive ball and aqua patch.  Alolan Muk is essential for some matchups, and helpful in many others.  It shuts down pokemon like Zeraora-GX and Darkrai-EX that eliminate retreat costs (and thus all milotic's damage).  It also can stop mew&mewtwo-GX cold.  Dedenne and Shaymin do here what they do everywhere; I've gone with two total because the deck can't afford to bench much more, but a third could be useful in some situations.

Rescue stretcher is essential with as few copies as this deck plays of attackers and manaphy.  I wish I could fit a second stretcher in.  To power up the milotic, I run four aqua patch and three max elixir.  I find I rarely get to use all of them in a game, so I may cut a few copies, but they really are essential to staying ahead in the prize trade.  Aqua patch is useless without energy discarded, though, so I have two copies of battle compressor.  As usual, these also help remove cards unnecessary to a matchup (muk, ranger), and put supporters in the discard so that vs seeker can find them.  Those supporters are pretty limited in this deck; I find sycamore is usually the best choice.  There are few cards in the deck it can't either afford to discard or play immediately, and it likes to go through a lot of cards, so non-draw supporters have decreased utility.  Even ranger I'm not sure is worth it, since games with ADP tend to progress quickly, which makes it hard for this deck to have an opportunity to use ranger.  I've opted for dive ball over ultra ball.  UB can find more pokemon, but it just seems wrong to not use such a perfect card as dive ball when you have the opportunity.  Still, UB may be better, for discarding energies to patch as well.  Of course, all that is academic if your opponent can prevent all damage with just a float stone.  I put in two field blowers, which also help with chaotic swell, but are unnecessary for anything else.

Elixir loses its vitality quickly as the number of basic energy drops, so I've stopped myself at eight.  This seems to be about the right amount to charge the pokemon that need to be charged, especially with help from double colorless.

Matchup Analysis

I really like this deck, of course, but it's got some major flaws.  I would put it at tier 3; competitively viable, but only for fun or budget and not with any real hope of winning a tournament.  The biggest problem is its need for big targets.  Give it a few tag teams to slam into, and boom, it's already won.  But if it can't OHKO something because it weighs too little, or if it's facing one-prize attackers, it becomes very difficult to take enough prizes.  ADP can be a big problem, mostly because the extra 30 damage allows a lot more attacks to OHKO milotic.  The deck is also weak to many forms of lock, since its energy, pokemon search, and damage all depend on trainer cards.  But against a lot of decks, milotic can do insane damage and attack consistently, leading to easy wins.  I think it's a lot of fun to play, and it would be cool if the idea spread. :) And this is a truly intergenerational deck: key components come from mid-B&W, mid-X&Y, late X&Y, early SuMo, and early S&S.

Critique, as always, is welcome.

Edited by SuperStone
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Hey, I really like this concept! Thanks for diving into it, almost like you were writing an article, it was really enjoyable to read.

• Like 1

I ran into a similar Expanded Milotic V variant a while back and it was very impressive how easily the player was able to stream attacks. Unfortunately, I was unable to get the deck list, but I did learn some things and I saw a couple cards that could be worth considering in your deck.

First, the player ran Absol TEU to increase Retreat Costs. There weren't any Jellicents or Muks in the deck,  it seemed that the deck was only meant to beat big Pokemon. It was quite efficient though, I suppose he could run Power Plant in his deck to slow down other players and stop any Zeraora GX, Darkrai EX, or Manaphy EX plays, although I never saw that card come into play. Galar Mine is the Stadium of choice, but a Power Plant or two to shut off the GX and EX abilities immediately can also be nice.

The second thing I noticed was the lack of Max Elixir in his deck. The player relied on Aqua Patch and Double Colorless Energy for energy acceleration and ran 3-4 Battle Compressor and some Acro Bikes to get the job done.

Another change that could help was the use of Float Stone. Float Stone isn't as searchable as Manaphy EX but it doesn't require an energy attachment to the Active Pokemon, something that makes it far easier to get off a turn 1 attack.

As for critiques for your deck, the Pokemon Ranger seems irrelevant. An ADP deck in Expanded will take 3 turns to win the game without Altered Creation (3 Milotic V KO-ed in a row) and 3 turns to win by using Altered Creation (1 turn to Altered Creation + 2 Milotic KO-ed). A Great Catcher or two might be worth throwing in as well, having the ability to play a Supporter card and continue to set up while pulling up a big Tag Team Pokemon of your choice seems more advantageous than Guzma in many cases. Ultra Ball would likely be a better call for your deck to help with searching out Pokemon, there aren't any Water Pokemon that I know of that give you the draw power of a Shaymin EX or Dedenne GX and not being able to access them because you're running Dive Ball is a heavy price to pay. Your draw supporter count seems over the top, running more Battle Compressor and Trainer's Mail will get the job done more effectively, you are running 4 VS Seeker after all. Cynthia may be worth taking out as in the early game, an N is just as effective for drawing cards and if you don't want to N your opponent into more cards, a Sycamore will do. Sycamore can be likely fine-tuned down to 2-3 copies, especially with the presence of Pokemon draw power in your deck.

• Upvote 4