What to buy?

nitg0d

Hello, I started to play few days ago. Im using a grass/normal deck based in Celestela GX and Phermosa & Buzzwole GX. Its working fine at least for the beginning, I managed to win many matches against people with far more GX and good decks.

I have 1500 coins and I was wondering what I have to buy with it? Theme decks or Packs? and which ones. 

Thanks.

Theme Decks are the most cost-effective way to get started in the game. You’re playing a Colorless and Grass deck so I recommend the Rillaboom Theme Deck. Complete the 12 Trainer Challenge matches with the deck and you’ll earn a Sword and Shield pack to go with it!

Get Rillaboom Theme Deck, finish all trainer challenges with it. Save the rest for new deck that comes out. Mostly use tokens to trade with its more efficient. 

If you are collecting older hgss decks/packs are a good buy also

11 hours ago, oTurtles said:

Get Rillaboom Theme Deck, finish all trainer challenges with it. Save the rest for new deck that comes out. Mostly use tokens to trade with its more efficient. 

If you are collecting older hgss decks/packs are a good buy also

With 1500 coins, you can get 7 packs. But, when you're just starting out, buying 7 packs in the hopes of finding what you want is unrealistic. Start out with buying a Theme Deck, figuring out which cards would make your existing deck better, and then considering other Theme Decks that might also be advantageous to combining with your deck, like maybe the Leaf Charge Theme Deck.

When you're just starting out, you usually don't have a lot of cards lying around to trade off, as most of your good cards were probably from un-tradeable pack pulls. Don't worry about trading until you build up a decent sized collection of cards that you think others might like, opening some of your packs that you win from Events is a good way to steadily inflate your collection.

Buying HGSS decks/packs is even more unrealistic than buying just normal packs to try and improve your existing deck, Legacy is its own format with very little crossover between Expanded. The selection is very limited in the Theme Decks in terms of Trainer card staples, and the number of packs necessary for buying to get all the staples is ridiculously high. (I had to invest about 7000 coins into Triumphant/Undaunted packs to get all the pieces for my deck.)

Edited by ellomello044208
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 8/7/2020 at 2:17 AM, ellomello044208 said:

With 1500 coins, you can get 7 packs. But, when you're just starting out, buying 7 packs in the hopes of finding what you want is unrealistic. Start out with buying a Theme Deck, figuring out which cards would make your existing deck better, and then considering other Theme Decks that might also be advantageous to combining with your deck, like maybe the Leaf Charge Theme Deck.

When you're just starting out, you usually don't have a lot of cards lying around to trade off, as most of your good cards were probably from un-tradeable pack pulls. Don't worry about trading until you build up a decent sized collection of cards that you think others might like, opening some of your packs that you win from Events is a good way to steadily inflate your collection.

Buying HGSS decks/packs is even more unrealistic than buying just normal packs to try and improve your existing deck, Legacy is its own format with very little crossover between Expanded. The selection is very limited in the Theme Decks in terms of Trainer card staples, and the number of packs necessary for buying to get all the staples is ridiculously high. (I had to invest about 7000 coins into Triumphant/Undaunted packs to get all the pieces for my deck.)

"IF" you are "COLLECTING" then its worth to buy older packs since they are worth quite alot. As already stated get latest theme deck rake up tokens/do tourneys win get some chests/packs proceed to use the rest of tokens for trading. There simple

Edited by oTurtles
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, oTurtles said:

"IF" you are "COLLECTING" then its worth to buy older packs since they are worth quite alot. As already stated get latest theme deck rake up tokens/do tourneys win get some chests/packs proceed to use the rest of tokens for trading. There simple

How are you valuing older packs? By their value in terms of trading for online? If that's the case, well, yes they are arguably worth more, but only the tradeable packs. The availability of almost all packs HGSS-RCL means all the untradeable packs have the same value as they have the same availability.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

How are you valuing older packs? By their value in terms of trading for online? If that's the case, well, yes they are arguably worth more, but only the tradeable packs. The availability of almost all packs HGSS-RCL means all the untradeable packs have the same value as they have the same availability.

How am I valuing packs? Like everyone else i guess price guides and by trading alot. HGSS era packs are worth quite a lot some cards are easily worth around 50-100packs and are pretty hard to get because not many people are selling them. So if you are some one who is collecting its worth getting a few. Don't worry i am not a noobcake who spends  7000 tokens on a just trying to make a deck. This advice is solid even if you may not agree. 

Edited by oTurtles