What card(s) will hold trade value

OliverTwisting

Hi Forum,

Out of curiosity/in your opinion, what cards will best hold trade value? For example, do you think a SR Quick Ball be worth about the same in half a year compared to what it's generally been worth? ***, at the moment the average value is ~85 RCL packs, so maybe a bad example, but I assume that's because people are trying to get rid of RCL packs before the switch to Darkness Ablaze)

My guess is:

1. Only SR Trainers will hold constant trade value, since pokemon value will shift dramatically with new set releases (looking at you, Dragapult).

2. Most reliably, SR Trainers that can be featured in most decks. So, not Metal Saucer, but perhaps Boss's Orders, Scoop Up Net, etc.

3. I don't play or know Expanded well enough, so someone else will have to fill in a list for those.

So as a list of "staples" with average values from ~1 month ago from a website that rhymes with Mealtime PTCGO. :) Values in brackets are in RCL packs, and I'm using prices from ~1 month ago due to the current drop in RCL pack value.

[3.4] Ordinary Rod SR (maybe this one's not enough of a staple... not sure)

[3.5] Tool Scrapper SR

[4.5] Professor's Research SR

[7.1] Marnie SR

[8.0] Reset Stamp SR

[8.1] Pokemon Communication SR

[9.9] Boss's Orders SR

[18.0] Scoop Up Net SR

[20.0] Marnie FA

[27.8] Switch SR

[55.0] Quick Ball SR

My guess is that cards that search for pokemon (Quick Ball, Pokemon Communication) are slightly more vulnerable to the release of type-specific search cards (like Mysterious Treasure) that become part of the meta. I would guess that Tool Scrapper, Ordinary Rod, Reset Stamp, and Boss's Orders will hold value a little better since their effects are consistent and (probably?) won't be superseded by better, type-specific alternatives.

That's all speculation of course... what do you think?

Edited by OliverTwisting

you forgot SR Switch nearly every deck has them Its probably the most reprinted card to date and used in just about every competitive deck that existed I wonder why its not valued more

Edited by oTurtles

11 hours ago, oTurtles said:

you forgot SR Switch nearly every deck has them Its probably the most reprinted card to date and used in just about every competitive deck that existed I wonder why its not valued more

Well, it doesn’t hold value for the exact reason that you stated. It’s been reprinted so many times that many people already have a SR Switch from some set.

Also SR energies will be a great long term investment they will pretty much will never go out of rotation

Gem promos if you want to be rich in 2-3 years time ;)

Thanks for the suggestions! Added Marnie FA and Switch SR.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason Boss's Orders and Marnie FA are worth more than the SR variants? Is there a difference in rarity, or is just that the FA cards potentially give the deck a more consistent look (but that's arguable since more Standard trainers have SR but not FA variants...).

SR energies for sure are good investments, but are expensive to the point where they are now a bit difficult to price. Maybe after the DAA release their prices will get to something more calculable.

Regarding Gem promos - is there a list somewhere? I haven't been able to find one, and that makes it hard for me to figure out what are gem promos and what can still be pulled from trade-locked packs. All I know is that some gem promos have a "cosmic" look to them, but there are non-gem cards that also look like that.

Fa is worth more because most people like the art more. Sr energies are mostly 20-30 rcl. Only a few are more expensive.(dark, metal, etc)

11 hours ago, OliverTwisting said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Added Marnie FA and Switch SR.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason Boss's Orders and Marnie FA are worth more than the SR variants? Is there a difference in rarity, or is just that the FA cards potentially give the deck a more consistent look (but that's arguable since more Standard trainers have SR but not FA variants...).

SR energies for sure are good investments, but are expensive to the point where they are now a bit difficult to price. Maybe after the DAA release their prices will get to something more calculable.

Regarding Gem promos - is there a list somewhere? I haven't been able to find one, and that makes it hard for me to figure out what are gem promos and what can still be pulled from trade-locked packs. All I know is that some gem promos have a "cosmic" look to them, but there are non-gem cards that also look like that.

You can google search Ptcgo Guide & found Gem Promos Card list inside, but not sure about the price, seen their last updated time is April.

Edited by SoulxBLAST7

@SoulxBLAST7 Oops, I visited that site regularly and somehow never noticed the Gem Promos section. Thanks for the tip!

I do still think the SR Energies are hard to price, as they also depend significantly on what decks are in vogue (in contrast with something like Switch, which is useful in maybe 3/4s of decks if not more). For example, SR Darkness Energy was hovering around 50 packs during SSH era (maybe even a little less), but midway through RCL, after the announcement of Eternatus VMAX, the price went through the roof. The same could happen for any SR Energy (except perhaps for Fairy).