MrSpencerCov

my first ever deck build ... help!

MrSpencerCov

My son (aged 5) has got pretty obsessed with Pokemon recently, so I’ve had to do some quick learning!

We’ve put together a deck (for expanded) using cards we already have - we haven’t got our heads round trading yet - and I’m pleasantly surprised with our relative success, but recognise I have a lot more to learn. Any ideas about obvious and/or easy changes we should consider? All help appreciated!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 10

* 1 Mew UNB 76
* 2 Articuno-GX CES 31
* 2 Kyogre CEC 53
* 1 Magikarp AOR 19
* 2 Magikarp TEU 29
* 2 Gyarados AOR 20

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 2 Rough Seas PRC 137
* 1 Guzma & Hala CEC 193
* 2 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 3 Switch CES 147
* 1 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Mallow & Lana CEC 198
* 1 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 2 Hau CES 132
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 3 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 Last Chance Potion CES 135
* 1 Bede SSH 157
* 2 Poké Kid SSH 173
* 1 Sonia RCL 167
* 2 Ether PLS 121
* 1 Town Map BCR 136
* 4 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Exp. Share NXD 87
* 1 Energy Retrieval BLW 92

##Energy - 17

* 15 Water Energy XYEnergy 9
* 2 Splash Energy BKP 113

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

ellomello044208
Posted (edited)

Swap the Pokekids for Ultra Balls to find your Pokémon. Use Oranguru SSH to reliably hit energy off of your Ethers. Swap the 3 Switch for 2 Float Stone and 1 Tate and Liza or, if you can get your hands on it, 1-2 Manaphy EX and use the extra space for more Kyogre as it’s your primary form of energy acceleration. Play TV Reporter or Sightseer (both of these are obtainable in the Blazing Volcano Theme Deck) instead of Hau to help discard energy to use Kyogre’s High Water more effectively. Maybe play a Misty and Lorelei instead of a Professor’s Letter to potentially use Cold Crush GX multiple times. Cut down to 12-14 energy, add in 1-2 Shuckle LOT to discard more energy early on for Kyogre’s High Water. Use the remaining space for more consistency cards, more draw Supporters like Cynthia, N, and Professor Sycamore as well as more cards to find Basic Pokemon, Quick Ball and Nest Ball are two good options, (Quick Ball works better for the purposes of discarding energy and activating Shuckle and Articuno GX's abilities) will help your deck set up more reliably. Once you expand your Collection a bit more, try to get your hands on 4 Aqua Patch, it’s a really strong option for Water energy acceleration. 

Edited by ellomello044208
  • Upvote 2

MrSpencerCov

Wow, that’s a lot to think about straight away! Once the little man’s up and about (or, more likely, back from the skatepark) we’ll get looking at all of these. Thank you so much for the feedback!

MrSpencerCov

Ok, so we’ve been able to do most of what you suggested. (We don’t have any Float Stone or Oranguru, unfortunately, much less Manaphy EX.) We haven’t yet added in any Cynthia or Professor’s Research (or equivalent) which I guess we probably should, but it’s hard to move too quickly! It now looks like this:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 1 Shuckle LOT 16
* 1 Mew UNB 76
* 2 Articuno-GX CES 31
* 3 Kyogre CEC 53
* 1 Magikarp AOR 19
* 2 Magikarp TEU 29
* 2 Gyarados AOR 20

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 3 Aqua Patch GRI 119
* 2 Rough Seas PRC 137
* 1 Guzma & Hala CEC 193
* 1 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 2 Switch CES 147
* 1 Misty & Lorelei CEC 199
* 1 Lysandre FLF 90
* 1 Mallow & Lana CEC 198
* 1 Wishful Baton BUS 128
* 2 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 2 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 1 Teammates PRC 141
* 3 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
* 1 Last Chance Potion CES 135
* 1 Bede SSH 157
* 1 Sonia RCL 167
* 1 Town Map BCR 136
* 3 Dive Ball PRC 125
* 2 TV Reporter CES 149
* 1 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 Exp. Share NXD 87
* 1 Energy Retrieval BLW 92

##Energy - 14

* 12 Water Energy XYEnergy 9
* 2 Splash Energy BKP 113

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

ellomello044208
Posted (edited)

Here's a couple more cards to think about:

Roller Skater might be a better alternative to TV Reporter for discarding energy, it'll allow you to draw 4 cards for discarding an Energy, 2 for any other circumstance. However, TV Reporter lets you look at the 3 cards you draw and Roller Skater will draw you 3 cards on average so sticking with TV Reporter is still a good choice.

Magikarp CRI has the ability Submerge which protects it from Bench damage. If you're finding Enter the Dragon to be helpful, keep it by all means but you can swap the Epic Splash Magikarp for one with Submerge. If all the Magikarp are converted to the Submerge Magikarp, you can probably take out the Mew, as protecting Benched Magikarps seems to be its purpose. If you've been getting good value out of early game Psypower plays, disregard this suggestion. The Burning Shadows Magikarp with Splashing Dodge can also be a lot of fun to play with, if you can flip heads, Magikarp lives another turn!

Brooklet Hill is a Stadium that can probably replace the Rough Seas. It's really good for helping you set up more Pokemon quickly.

Lana is a good healing option for Water Pokemon, she heals 50 damage from each of your Pokemon that have any Water energy attached, it might be a good call to swap 1 Pokemon Center Lady out for a Lana to allow you to heal most of your attackers.

The 1 Professor's Letter can be converted into another Sonia, Sonia has more versatility so I prefer it, even though it isn't an Item card. You may also want to consider running an Energy Loto instead as it can potentially find you a Splash Energy.

Also, if you're looking for some Float Stone, I can trade you a couple.

Edited by ellomello044208