Sign in to follow this  
guruguy87

Full Retaliation Gyarados deck? (from Iron Tide)

guruguy87

Looking at the attack from the Gyarados in theme deck Iron Tide it does 30 more damage for each damage counter on benched magikarp... Well the tag team Wailord/Magikarp card has 300 HP.... If it has 10 damage counters on it on the bench by my estimation this would be a 330 damage attack for a single DCE or twin energy on a single prize pokemon?? (elite) ... Have yet to see anyone play with a deck like this... I don't own a magikarp/wailord, but would be nice to build a deck like this. An interesting rogue expanded deck. Or am I missing something and it has to be ONLY exactly a magikarp and can't be the tag team card?? 

• Upvote 2

Dirnt54
Posted (edited)

This is a cool idea. 

There's an easy way to test it: Try building the deck in the online deckbuilder (showing cards you don't own so you can add M&W) and try adding 5 in any combination of M&W and Magikarp. If you can without an error message popping up (You can't add more than 4 cards named Magikarp to your deck) then they won't be counted as the same name and you won't be able to use the combo. 

Another way to do this might be with the new Toughness Coat dropping in two weeks and Frozen City? That would let you get up 7 damage counters on your Magikarp for 210 damage from Gyarados.

Edited by Dirnt54
  • Upvote 1

ellomello044208
2 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

Looking at the attack from the Gyarados in theme deck Iron Tide it does 30 more damage for each damage counter on benched magikarp... Well the tag team Wailord/Magikarp card has 300 HP.... If it has 10 damage counters on it on the bench by my estimation this would be a 330 damage attack for a single DCE or twin energy on a single prize pokemon?? (elite) ... Have yet to see anyone play with a deck like this... I don't own a magikarp/wailord, but would be nice to build a deck like this. An interesting rogue expanded deck. Or am I missing something and it has to be ONLY exactly a magikarp and can't be the tag team card?? 

Yes, Gyarados’s damage is only affected by damage on Magikarps, not Magikarp and Wailord, just Magikarp.

• Upvote 1

squiderp12

I don't think it will fork, unfortunately. Interesting idea though! If the wording on the attack was "This attack does 30 more damage for each damage counter on benched Pokemon with Magikarp in their name", it would work.

• Upvote 1

SuperStone
Posted (edited)

Squiderp is exactly right.  This is why Falinks decks are so interesting: they are, as far as I know, the first attacker to use the new "with X in its name" text.  All previous team attack decks have been limited to four pokemon, like passimian, or have been defined by an attack or other attribute, like Round decks.

Edit- there are older cards with this text, but it hasn't been used for pokemon names before.  Alolan Marowak FLi has it for alolan pokemon, and Carracosta PlB has it for fossil items, for example.

Edited by SuperStone

Sign in to follow this