Mahzes

Struggling to rework deck for 2021 Rotation

Mahzes
Posted (edited)

I'm trying to prepare my deck for the 2021 rotation, and in all honestly I feel like it's been hit really hard by it. I tried making some substitutions but it just didn't feel like it worked and running it just felt like I was clutching at straws for the whole game. My current build (before attempting to rework) is;

2 Reshiram & Charizard GX Unbroken Bonds

2 Blacephalon Unbroken Bonds

1 Cramorant V Sword & Shield

1 Ditto (Prism) Lost Thunder

2 Pidgey Team Up

2 Pidgeotto Team Up

2 Slugma Celestial Storm

2 Magcargo Celestial Storm

1 Victini V Sword & Shield

1 Vulpix Team Up

1 Ninetales Team Up

1 Brock's Grit Team Up

1 Cynthia Ultra Prism

1 Evolution Incense Sword & Shield

3 Fiery Flint Dragon Majesty

1 Fisherman Celestial Storm

3 Fire Crystal Unbroken Bonds

1 Giant Hearth Unified Minds

1 Heat Factory Lost Thunder

1 Lady Forbidden Light

1 Mallow & Lana Cosmic Eclipse

1 Pal Pad Sword & Shield

3 Pokémon Communication Team Up

2 Sonia Rebel Clash

1 Power Plant Unbroken Bonds

1 Professor Elm's Lecture Lost Thunder

2 Switch Sword & Shield

4 Welder Unbroken Bonds

15 Fire Energy

My two main attackers are Reshiram and Charizard GX and Blacephalon (series), depending on the situation, with Cramorant V for emergency backup against things that are immune to GX or Fire (or for bench damage).

By far the biggest problem I'm having with the new rotation is the loss of Magcargo and Heat Factory/Fiery Flint/ Lady. Whilst it's great that Welder is still around, the problem I'm having now is that I simply can't search out enough energy in good time (whereas I could previously flood my hand with energy quite comfortably in a single turn to then attach with Welder or use for Fireball Circus fodder.

Do you have any recommendations for cards I can use to hurry energy cards into my hand? Energy Search is an option but still feels nowhere near adequate given that it's simply a one-for-one and general item card recovery is limited/impossible at present meaning it also isn't overly sustainable or repeatable. Any other general suggestions would also be appreciated.

Edited by Mahzes
Mentioned the wrong card rotating out

darkness018

I was trying to come with some but I can’t think of any but if I’m not mistaken the rotation only effects standard right? If so just use ur current deck in expanded 

ellomello044208

You said that Fire Crystal was rotating but it’s from Unbroken Bonds so it’s still in. Fiery Flint is the one that’s rotating. To get energy into your hand, you still have Giant Hearth, so playing more emphasis on that is your best bet for getting energy into your hand. You can also take your deck down the Volcanion UNB path, using Volcanion’s Flare Starter on turn 2 to pour energy into play.

• Upvote 1

Dirnt54

I agree, I would definitely try 3-4 Giant Hearth. 

Mahzes
4 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

You said that Fire Crystal was rotating but it’s from Unbroken Bonds so it’s still in. Fiery Flint is the one that’s rotating. To get energy into your hand, you still have Giant Hearth, so playing more emphasis on that is your best bet for getting energy into your hand. You can also take your deck down the Volcanion UNB path, using Volcanion’s Flare Starter on turn 2 to pour energy into play.

Yes sorry, typed the wrong card name - it's the loss of Fiery Flint that feels like it's crippling my deck! Fire Crystal is still legal as you say and is definitely useful, however just getting energy is the problem at the moment.

I've considered Volcanion but I'm not sure an extra one per turn is really quite enough still (and the +3 is only good for one turn - assuming I get it on my first turn), plus that doesn't help with adding to the hand for Fireball Circus.

Definitely considering running four Giant Hearth but it's ultimately still not as effective as Fiery Flint was.

Dirnt54
21 minutes ago, Mahzes said:

Yes sorry, typed the wrong card name - it's the loss of Fiery Flint that feels like it's crippling my deck! Fire Crystal is still legal as you say and is definitely useful, however just getting energy is the problem at the moment.

I've considered Volcanion but I'm not sure an extra one per turn is really quite enough still (and the +3 is only good for one turn - assuming I get it on my first turn), plus that doesn't help with adding to the hand for Fireball Circus.

Definitely considering running four Giant Hearth but it's ultimately still not as effective as Fiery Flint was.

Yeah, I think the rotation just boils down to this shocking statement: "Baby Blowns isn't as good anymore."

On the other hand, Excadrill (which I'm planning on playing) is shaping up to be a wonderful single-prize deck ;) 

ellomello044208
28 minutes ago, Mahzes said:

To deal with the rotation, you're probably going to have to pivot more into the direction of Welder Box than a Baby Blowns deck. Heatran GX, Cramorant V, Dubwool V, Victini V, Ninetales V, and even Reshizard are still going to be here after rotation and non-GX Pokemon are getting the support of Turbo Patch so the deck will be as strong as ever. A Pidgeotto or Cinccino draw engine for Blowns is worth considering, but it's a lot more resources that have to be invested and Elm's Lecture is leaving the format so setting up the draw engine will be harder, at least for an Air Mail engine. Running with more Zacian V and Oricorio emphasis is another possibility, but using these 2-prizers takes away from the advantage of playing mostly 1-prize Pokemon.

• Upvote 1