R8Spike

legacy on a budget- building a legacy deck with only theme decks

R8Spike

hello there! I'm building a legacy deck using only cards from theme decks+ the starting few cards, and this is what i came up with(deck list in spoiler)

Spoiler

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 21

* 3 Murkrow UD 58
* 1 Sableye UD 35
* 3 Sableye DEX 62
* 3 Honchkrow UD 16
* 2 Krokorok DEX 65
* 4 Skuntank UD 37
* 4 Umbreon UD 10
* 1 Krookodile DEX 66

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 3 Switch HS 102
* 4 Pokémon Catcher BKP 105
* 2 Dark Claw DEX 92
* 2 Professor Oak's New Theory HS 101
* 1 Revive ROS 88
* 1 Interviewer's Questions UL 77
* 3 Professor Juniper DEX 98
* 2 Twins TM 89
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Sage's Training UD 77
* 1 Burned Tower UD 71
* 4 Level Ball NXD 89

##Energy - 9

* 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
* 5 Darkness Energy Energy 7

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

this is how the deck works- you may see a abundance of stage 1 dark types, but that's to discard to boost Honchkrow attack, vengeance. it deals 10+10 for each [d] Pokemon in the discard pile. so, with the 10(base)+190(other Pokemon)+20(dark claw), you get 220, but that situation is rare and your probably going to have 5-7 Pokemon in the discards, with a dark claw if you draw it, so about 60-100 in turn 4, which is bad, and on ok draw games i usually get that. the last few games i started to energy brick,  even with the interviewers questions. the Sableye are to discard and get back items. i'm lacking Pokemon recovery and discard output, as 50% of my games are cheap wins by not agreeing to the coin flip rule., and the other 49% are agents meta decks which i get crushed. the other 1% is Durant mill. how can I improve my deck? currently siting at 1 pack, flipping cards for profit.  

ellomello044208

You've set yourself up for a tough road ahead if you're trying to build a deck solely off of Legacy Theme Decks. Sadly, I'm not sure that Honchkrow is a salvageable deck. The attack cost is too expensive to do very little damage per each Pokemon in your discard pile.

However, there are still decks you can build that will be somewhat competitive in Legacy pretty much just using cards from Theme Decks. I suggest running an Eelektrik/Zekrom deck. You can get 2 copies of Zekrom from each Voltage Vortex Theme Deck in the shop and 2 Eelektrik from each Furious Knights Theme Deck in the shop. You'll need to buy 2 copies of each deck to have enough Eelektrik and Zekrom, but once you have all of the cards, you'll have a decent deck. The Dynamotor engine is quite strong and Zekrom can 2-shot everything in the format. You should be able to trade for Eviolite for pretty cheap which will reduce the damage Zekrom does to himself by 20 and make the deck a whole lot better. Electrode PLF is another cheap card you can trade for that will boost your consistency. Like Eelektrik, it also has 90 HP, making it also use-able with Level Ball. You'll probably also need to trade for 2-3 Float Stone, but you should also be able to get those pretty easily as well. Switch will serve the purpose, but it isn't as reusable as Float Stone on an Eelektrik.

• Upvote 2

R8Spike
Posted (edited)

thanks for the tips! evolite is in the same theme deck that i got dark claw from, so that shouldn't be a problem. (i just need to buy more of it) once i flip to about 4 packs i think i can get flote stone. this was mainly i wanted to branch out to legacy, because i bought my pokecoms when teu came around from the deck with Honchkrow, than i got too carried away.

Edited by R8Spike
logic resoning

kaido_zennon
On 7/30/2020 at 12:10 PM, ellomello044208 said:

You've set yourself up for a tough road ahead if you're trying to build a deck solely off of Legacy Theme Decks. Sadly, I'm not sure that Honchkrow is a salvageable deck. The attack cost is too expensive to do very little damage per each Pokemon in your discard pile.

However, there are still decks you can build that will be somewhat competitive in Legacy pretty much just using cards from Theme Decks. I suggest running an Eelektrik/Zekrom deck. You can get 2 copies of Zekrom from each Voltage Vortex Theme Deck in the shop and 2 Eelektrik from each Furious Knights Theme Deck in the shop. You'll need to buy 2 copies of each deck to have enough Eelektrik and Zekrom, but once you have all of the cards, you'll have a decent deck. The Dynamotor engine is quite strong and Zekrom can 2-shot everything in the format. You should be able to trade for Eviolite for pretty cheap which will reduce the damage Zekrom does to himself by 20 and make the deck a whole lot better. Electrode PLF is another cheap card you can trade for that will boost your consistency. Like Eelektrik, it also has 90 HP, making it also use-able with Level Ball. You'll probably also need to trade for 2-3 Float Stone, but you should also be able to get those pretty easily as well. Switch will serve the purpose, but it isn't as reusable as Float Stone on an Eelektrik.

Would you be kind enough to drop your decklist of Elektrik/zekrom deck? BTW thanks again for the charizard expanded deck

R8Spike

yeah, I want it too lol. but here's my theory crafted deck ( need that 500 gold!)

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 12

* 4 Tynamo NVI 39
* 4 Zekrom NXD 50
* 4 Eelektrik NVI 40

##Trainer Cards - 40

* 4 Switch HS 102
* 3 Professor Oak's New Theory HS 101
* 4 Pokémon Catcher EPO 95
* 4 Super Rod NVI 95
* 1 Eviolite NVI 91
* 4 Professor Juniper DEX 98
* 2 Twins TM 89
* 1 Colress PLS 118
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Random Receiver DEX 99
* 2 Tool Scrapper DRX 116
* 4 Level Ball NXD 89
* 1 N NVI 92

##Energy - 8

* 8 Lightning Energy SMEnergy 13

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

This is made from cards that I have, and the 2 other Zekrom.

ellomello044208
Posted (edited)

4 Switch and 4 Float Stone seems excessive. You can cut down to just 3 Float Stone. Keep 2 Switch if you’re worried about Hypnotoxic Laser or the like. Add in more Eviolite, it’s your best shot against some of the more competitive decks. You can probably get away with just 2 Super Rod, add 2 more basic Lightning Energy instead.

Here’s my rough list:

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 14

* 2 Emolga NVI 37
* 4 Tynamo NVI 38
* 4 Zekrom NXD 50
* 4 Eelektrik NVI 40

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 3 Professor Oak's New Theory CL 83
* 3 Float Stone PLF 99
* 2 Switch BCR 135
* 3 Pokémon Catcher EPO 95
* 4 Level Ball NXD 89
* 3 N NVI 92
* 4 Eviolite NVI 91
* 4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
* 1 Pokémon Communication HS 98
* 2 Super Rod NVI 95
* 1 Tool Scrapper DRX 116
* 2 Twins TM 89

##Energy - 10

* 10 Lightning Energy Energy 4

Total Cards - 60

Edited by ellomello044208
  • Upvote 1

R8Spike

thanks for the list! Shold I exchange the emolga for a 1-1 line of Electrode when I get it? 

ellomello044208
Posted (edited)

No, cut down to 2 Pokemon Catcher and 3 Ultra Ball to make room. Emolga is arguably your best starter and it will help you soften up bigger Pokemon.

Edited by ellomello044208
  • Upvote 1

R8Spike
Posted (edited)

ok. thanks! I'll get to this thread when I have my final list. 

Edit: after playing with it a few games, it works very well. this is my finalized deck list:

Spoiler

##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Emolga NVI 37
* 4 Tynamo NVI 39
* 1 Voltorb PLF 32
* 4 Zekrom NXD 50
* 4 Eelektrik NVI 40
* 1 Electrode PLF 33

##Trainer Cards - 34

* 2 Pokémon Catcher BKP 105
* 3 N DEX 96
* 3 Professor Oak's New Theory HS 101
* 2 Super Rod NVI 95
* 4 Eviolite NVI 91
* 2 Twins TM 89
* 4 Level Ball AOR 76
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137
* 1 Tool Scrapper DRX 116
* 2 Switch SSH 183

##Energy - 10

* 10 Lightning Energy SMEnergy 13

Total Cards - 60

thanks for all the help @ellomello044208 !

Edited by R8Spike
deck list additon