Sign in to follow this  
Dirnt54

Vikavolt/Stones theoretical (Standard PR)

Dirnt54
Posted (edited)

So I've been wondering what things Vikavolt will be played with. Obviously it's going to see lots of play and possibly be the BDIF, but I can't really see any obvious partners for it besides Tapu Koko * and that's more of a speed card for your first turn than a true support Pokémon.

I was brainstorming this last night, and looking through the card database, when I came across Aegislash RCL. It is a stage 2, but this card has some tricky numbers play with its Big Shield ability (each of your Pokémon takes 30 less damage from attacks, unstackable) that should help you a lot playing Vikavolt V. Immediately, my thoughts went to Dusk Stone, and therefore Mismagius. The main theory of the list is to block the numbers with Aegislash and make you way harder to KO while Mismagius and Lt. Surge help you find all the setup cards you need (Tapu Koko *) while letting you play a Marnie on your first turn and limit your opponents options. 

Here's a mock-up list:

Spoiler

3x Vikavolt V

2x Honedge UNM

2x Doublade TEU

2x Aegislash 

2x Misdreavus 

2x Mismagius

2x Dedenne GX

1x Tapu Koko *   

1x Umbreon & Darkrai GX 

6x Lightning Energy

4x Speed L Energy

4x Professor's Research

4x Marnie

4x Lt. Surge

4x Quick Ball

4x Dusk Stone

3x Pokémon Communication

3x Toughness Coat

2x Stealthy Hood

2x Reset Stamp

2x Air Balloon

1x Boss's Orders

Here are some of the ways Aegishash RCL helps, and the common (assumed) matchups for the deck. 

VS Vikavolt V (Mirror Matchup): Aegislash shines here. If you can get it set up, you're only taking 20 damage from their lock attack when you're dealing 50. That's a winning scenario! If you opponent decides to try and switch to Super Zap Cannon to do more damage and give up on locking you entirely, you should be able to Marnie to keep them away from the energy they need.

VS Centiskorch VMAX: This is probably your most unfavorable matchup. Centiskorch should be doing 160 with a Welder the first time they attack, and if they can find another Welder next turn, they can get their damage output up to 320 (160 + 40 accelerated from discard + 40 from hand + 80 from Welder). If Centiskorch can set up for 2 turns like this you've probably lost the game already. Our best option here is cycling Marnie and trying to lock them out of their energy and Welder to limit their damage output. Aegislash will help you tank damage if you can successfully lock out their Welders.

VS Eternatus VMAX: Aegislash makes it harder to be 1HKO'd here. Eternatus needs a full bench of 8 to 1HKO you, and if you can manage to get a Toughness Coat on your Vikavolt (we're playing 3) you cannot be 1HKO'd at all. If you can stunt their setup enough with Marnie then you have a decent chance of not even being 2HKO'd due to Aegislash. With a Toughness Coat, Eternatus needs 5+ for the first attack and 6+ for the second. This is speculation - I don't know how fast Eternatus will be without Items. 

Anyways, I just think this is a cool and potentially good way to play Vikavolt.

Edited by Dirnt54
  • Upvote 1

ellomello044208
5 minutes ago, Dirnt54 said:

VS Eternatus VMAX: Aegislash makes it harder to be 1HKO'd here. Eternatus needs a full bench of 8 to 1HKO you, and if you can manage to get a Big Charm on your Vikavolt (we're playing 3) you cannot be 1HKO'd at all. If you can stunt their setup enough with Marnie then you have a decent chance of not even being 2HKO'd due to Aegislash. With a Big Charm, Eternatus needs 5+ for the first attack and 6+ for the second. This is speculation - I don't know how fast Eternatus will be without Items. 

Toughness Coat, the new HP-boosting Pokemon Tool that we're getting in Darkness Ablaze, will boost Vikavolt V's HP by 50, making it effectively a 290 HP Pokemon with Aegislash's Big Shield ability factored in. Eternatus won't be able to OHKO a Vikavolt V with Toughness Coat and Aegislash in play, making it a much more favorable matchup.

• Upvote 2

Dirnt54
5 minutes ago, ellomello044208 said:

Toughness Coat, the new HP-boosting Pokemon Tool that we're getting in Darkness Ablaze, will boost Vikavolt V's HP by 50, making it effectively a 290 HP Pokemon with Aegislash's Big Shield ability factored in. Eternatus won't be able to OHKO a Vikavolt V with Toughness Coat and Aegislash in play, making it a much more favorable matchup.

Oh! I've seen Toughness Coat, but I forgot the restriction is only with GX's and not V's. Thanks!

NL168

I think Gengar & Mimikyu could be real good, as it buys you an extra turn with it's GX attack and can be a finisher.  I know the energy is kinda weird, but you can pay for the cost with aurora, unit, rainbow, or just plain psychic (rainbow and unit are rotating though, I know).

• Like 1

ellomello044208

Following your line of thought @NL168, Umbreon and Darkrai could be worth considering for the GX attack. Dark Moon would buy you a turn, and the energy cost wouldn't be as awkward.

• Like 1

Ash101416744

I found a different Vikavolt list.

Vikavolt V/Volcarona GX

Pokémon

4 Vikavolt V
4-4 Volcarona GX
2 Dedenne GX
1 Crobat V
1 Cramorant V

Trainers

4 Welder
4 Quick ****
* Fire Crystal
3 Pokémon Communication
3 Switch
3 Pokegear 3.0
2 Professor’s Research
2 Reset Stamp
2 Cherish Ball
2 Ear-ringing Bell
2 Galar Mine
1 Boss’s Orders

Energy

4 Speed Energy
8 Fire

• Upvote 1

Dirnt54
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NL168 said:

I think Gengar & Mimikyu could be real good, as it buys you an extra turn with it's GX attack and can be a finisher.  I know the energy is kinda weird, but you can pay for the cost with aurora, unit, rainbow, or just plain psychic (rainbow and unit are rotating though, I know).

3 hours ago, ellomello044208 said:

Following your line of thought @NL168, Umbreon and Darkrai could be worth considering for the GX attack. Dark Moon would buy you a turn, and the energy cost wouldn't be as awkward.

I like these ideas a lot!

I think Gengar & Mimikyu would be really good in a Vikavolt deck but would probably need a more dedicated decklist to make it work. One that plays maybe multiple copies of Tag Switch, cutting the Tapu Koko * and all basic Lightning energy playing maybe a 4 Aurora 4 Speed 2 Psychic energy? I can see this deck being really good combined with the new "Dubious Canned Goods" card to heal off your Vikavolt really easily, doubling the uses of the Psychic energy you're playing. My worry here is the mirror matchup - I'd be concerned about the consistency of getting your combo off if you lose the flip and end up getting locked before you get to play a supporter and find your tag switch and air balloon/switch.

Umbreon & Darkrai seems like an easier card to just slot into this deck. I like the potential of Marnie+Dark Moon GX to give yourself an extra turn setting up your Aegislash and making sure you didn't whiff any of your pieces. I think I'll add it to the list as a one-of :) 

Thank you both for your feedback!

PS: @Ash101416744, I like the premise of the Volcarona/Vikavolt GX deck. A 4-4 line seems a bit excessive though - maybe consider removing 1 of each for more draw supporters? Vikavolt should play games pretty slowly so you don't really need to use more than 1 or 2 abilities per turn. You should be good with 2 Volcarona on the field at any given time. If you want to add more drawing, I'd recommend Marnie as 5 cards + lock can be pretty limiting for your opponent.

Edited by Dirnt54

Sign in to follow this