Sign in to follow this  
Terryfuller

New Player Deck Critique

Terryfuller
Posted (edited)

Hey, Gamers!

I'm a long-time, card player thinking about getting into the Pokemon TCG. After analyzing Sword and Shield and  Rebel Clash, I've drafted my first deck for 2022, after the previous block rotates out. 

Generally, the deck goes for effecient, attack value and a variety of support cards to manage the board state, but it seems really vanilla to me. How does it sound to you?

Pokemon 20

4-Stonjourner attack 180

4- Stonjourner V attack 150

4- Stonjourner V Max attack 200

4-Meowth V attack 130

4- Meowth V Max attack 200

Resources 19

19-fighting energy

Support 21

3- Big Charm

3- Poke Kid

3-Pokemon Center Lady

3-Switch

3-Boss's Orders

3-Sonia

3-Professor's Research

Edited by Terryfuller
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ellomello044208

Welcome to the Pokemon Trading Card Game @Terryfuller! You said you would play this deck in 2022, are you sure you didn't mean 2021? The next set rotation occurs in August this year. Here's a few of the tweaks I would suggest making to your deck. However, new sets are going to be introduced so new cards may change the way you want to play this deck.

The first thing I notice is the lack of energy acceleration and a high count of Pokemon who have expensive energy costs. While doing lots of damage is good, you need to have ways to easily power up your attackers. The most effective decks have lots of energy acceleration (take Pikarom for example) or don't need energy acceleration (like Dragapult VMAX). You can only naturally attach 1 energy from hand per turn and you don't have any way to speed up that in your deck.

Some common ways of energy acceleration that will survive rotation are Tapu Koko {*} (Lightning), Welder (Fire), Frosmoth (Water), Red and Blue (for any Stage 1 GX Pokemon), Metal Saucer (Metal), and even Porygon Z (Special Energy). To make your deck competitive, you want to be attacking as soon as possible. If your deck is built around VMAX Pokemon, you can attack as soon as turn 2. One way of energy acceleration that's coming to the game soon is Rose, who provides energy acceleration for VMAX Pokemon.

The other big thing I notice about your deck is the ratio of Pokemon-Trainers-Energy. Most decks strive for 10-15 Pokemon, 25-40 Trainers and 10-15 Energy. Trainer cards provide your deck with consistency and help you set up effectively. Your deck doesn't have any ways to search for Pokemon other than Poke Kid and Sonia, less than ideal choices. Some Trainer cards to consider for Pokemon searching are Quick Ball, Pokemon Communication, Evolution Incense, and Great Ball.

To increase consistency, you should increase your count of draw supporters. Professor's Research, Marnie, and Cynthia are arguably the best draw supporters but sadly Cynthia will be leaving the format with rotation. Running 4 and 4 will make your deck faster at setting up. To heal your Pokemon, I suggest Mallow and Lana. Pokemon Center Lady can heal Special Conditions and doesn't require you to discard any cards from your hand but Mallow and Lana heals twice as much damage and by switching out your Active Pokemon, it effectively removes all Special Conditions as well. If you add in Mallow and Lana, also consider adding in Air Balloon and some 2-Retreat cost Pokemon to take advantage of it with. Indeedee V is a decent idea, as it can also help you heal your Pokemon.

If you need more deck ideas or want to get a better feel for the current meta, check out Limitlesstcg. They have deck lists for the top decks in format and it'll give you a better understanding of the decks you'll need to be able to beat. I hope this post helps you improve your deck and that you have a fun time with the Pokemon Trading Card Game!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Terryfuller

Hello,

Thank you for your response and feedback.

First, yes, I plan to enter the game in 2021, when all of the EX and Tag Team sets rotate out. I can focus on studying the V and V Max game.

Second, after reviewing your feedback and gameplay videos, I get the sense that deck construction aims to create a specific set-up faster than the opponent rather than creating a deck that can answer any board state.

I'm looking forward to 2021.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

OliverTwisting

@Terryfuller Welcome! It's not quite right to generalize decks as aiming for a specific setup faster than the opponent. Many decks do aim to achieve this (for example, Pikarom, which typically aims for a 1st/2nd turn attack with Pikachu & Zekrom, using Thunder Mountain and Tapu Koko <*> to be able to pull this off). However, there are some decks that are design to disrupt or minimize the impact of other decks (Mill decks, designed to make the opponent run out of cards and lose by not being able to draw on their turn, contain a maximum of cards to disrupt the opponent and stall the game, for example, with Crushing Hammer and Lillie's Poke Doll). And then there are some decks that contain a range of responses to various situations that might arise (arguably Blacephalon decks take this role, where Blacephalon can remove large pokemon from the board with exceptional amounts of damage, but also my contain cards like Dubwool V, Cramorant V, and/or Heatran GX that can sustain more damage and output damage consistently without relying on discarding Fire Energy).

No matter what deck you play, you do have to be able to respond to decks that are popular. For example, I am currently testing a Mill deck and must use Sky Pillar due to the current prevalence of Dragapult VMAX (which, without Sky Pillar, becomes a near-automatic loss for me). However, if Dragapult VMAX becomes less popular with the release of Darkness Ablaze, I could consider removing Sky Pillar for something else (not a great example, since Sky Pillar is rotating out anyway, but that's the general idea... :)). So no matter what deck you build, its worth is dictated by what other decks that are possible and which of those decks you are most likely to encounter.

So with that said: follow @ellomello044208's suggestions, and also consider carefully how your deck would be able to fare against the current top decks that are being played. To find those, you can search on your favorite search engine for a website starting with "Limitless" and ending with "TCG". That site has updated lists of the most popular and effective decks currently being played.

R8Spike

hello! If you plan to play digital, its best to start now and only play theme, as well as start flipping cards(getting more packs from trading) the basics are get a trad able pack of latest pack, trade for 2 of a supporter staple, trade each staple for 1, repeat until new pack/rotation, where you save it on value holding cards till the swsh-on rotation happens, and then build your deck. you need to know what the meta is right now, then, as 1 year everything will look different.(see the shift when tag-teams came in) also maybe play cheap rouge decks that cost 10-20 packs to complete while you wait and accumulate packs.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this