Nemesis23022007

Is Rayquaza-Gx decks popular during this time?

Nemesis23022007

I remember when I ran a Rayquaza-Gx+Vikavolt deck last expansion. It was legal in Standard only, and I have no difficulty battling with other people, as few of them had double Custom Catchers or Great Catcher in their hand. But now with Boss's Orders and Scoop Up Nets running around, Rayquaza-Gx decks are just... weak. It costs too many Energy cards, and you need tons of Energy to KO a VMAX (and lose that much Energy when you are killed by Sableye-V). What is your opinion? Just let me know!

ellomello044208

The fact that Boltund V is now in the format, a card superior to Rayquaza in many ways, really dulls the appeal of Rayquaza GX. You need 1 fewer energy attached to Boltund V and only 1 type of energy to deal massive damage. Boltund V also has the benefit of having 20 more HP and a first attack that can accelerate 2 energy into play, as well as access to all the Lightning support in the format, Tapu Koko *, Thunder Mountain *, Electropower, Volkner, and Speed Lightning Energy to name a few. This is not to say that Rayquaza GX doesn't have any good points. The card has access to N's Resolve, a method that's even faster at getting energy into play than Naganadel or Zeraora GX, provided that you play enough energy in deck, an Ability that can accelerate energy, allowing you to get more energy into play turn 1, access to Island Challenge Amulet and some degree of Prize manipulation, and the option of using Shaymin * as an alternate attacker. The deck isn't as strong as it used to be but it's still a decent option if you can't afford all those Boltund V.

• Like 1

Nemesis23022007

You're right. You can only get up to 2 Boltund-V  per 50 packs, while the first Celestial Storm pack usually gives you a Rayquaza-Gx, and Rayquaza-Gx is currently being used as a prize in Versus, so it's easier to build a deck around it.

kuyrem1982

i still run rayquaza gx and  i still beat pikakrom and reshizard and bolyund v decks, u use a ho oh ex with rebirth ability and nagandel so i can usually charge up a 180+ damage attack on the second or third turn, however i havent played it in tournaments

Dirnt54
23 minutes ago, kuyrem1982 said:

i still run rayquaza gx and  i still beat pikakrom and reshizard and bolyund v decks, u use a ho oh ex with rebirth ability and nagandel so i can usually charge up a 180+ damage attack on the second or third turn, however i havent played it in tournaments

The problem with Rayquaza GX in the Expanded Format is the very bad matchup against the popular Ultra Necrozma deck.

kuyrem1982
2 minutes ago, Dirnt54 said:

The problem with Rayquaza GX in the Expanded Format is the very bad matchup against the popular Ultra Necrozma deck.

i had an experience with this, and because i play faba and skyla and vs seeker, i was able to cope against it

kuyrem1982
7 minutes ago, Dirnt54 said:

no deck is going to be a good matcchup against every deck, ultra necrozma is really bad against honchkrow gx decks as well

Dirnt54
25 minutes ago, kuyrem1982 said:

no deck is going to be a good matcchup against every deck, ultra necrozma is really bad against honchkrow gx decks as well

True. It's a cool deck :) 

• Upvote 1