Salamance VMAX Deck?

CALEB200654321

Hello everyone! I had an idea about creating a deck around Salamance VMAX. This is Expanded BTW.

Salamance V x3

Salamance VMAX x3

Bagon x2

Shelgon x1

Salamance (the one from Dragon Majesty) x1 (I use this for the dragon wind ability)

Salamane GX x1 ( use this for the ability that gives you free retreat)

Alolan Diglet x2

Alolan Dugtrio x2 (I use this for the tangling Hair ability)

*************** one from Steam Seige) x3 (I use this to search for the cards I need in the beginning of the game)

Starly (the new one from Darkness Ablaze) x3 ( I use this for the same reason as Talonflame)

Bird Keeper x4

Gallar Mine x3

Welder x3

Dragonium Z x1

Lance Prism Star x1

Trainers mail or Energy Retrieval x3 (which one should I use?)

Lady x3

Rare Candy x3

Double Colorless Energy x3

Powerful Energy x2

Weakness Guard Energy x2

Fire Energy x6

Water Energy x5

The Idea behind this deck is that I use the Talonflame or the Starly to pull out the cards I need in the start of the game. Then I use Gallar Mine and both Dugtrios to increase my opponent's retreat cost by 4 while keeping mine at 0 with the Salamance GX. I then use my Salamance's ability, Dragon Wind, to switch my opponent's Pokemon and then use a normal retreat or Bird Keeper if I already used my turns retreat to bring up Salamance V or VMAX to hit the bench while their active Pokemon is defenceless and cannot retreat. In a pressing situation, Alolan Dugtrio and Salamance GX can also hit the bench if needed. If they somehow do retreat to a better Pokemon, Salamance VMAX has a very *************** attack as backup. I also have Weakness Guard Energy so that the deck isn't weak to Zekrom and PIkachu GX.

Is this a good idea? Is there anything I should change? Thank you  in advance!

Salamence Spread is an interesting idea that can be quite effective. I have a few suggestions for you list. If you're trying to lock your opponent's Active Pokémon, also consider using Dragalgae whose ability, Poison Barrier, blocks your opponent from retreating their Active Pokémon if it's Poisoned. Playing Hypnotoxic Laser or Garbodor REC will give you an easy way to Poison your opponent's Active and keep them stuck. You can also consider running Propagation Exeggcute and a Roxie engine with Weezing CEC to put more damage into play. Run Trainer's Mail instead of Energy Retrieval as it increases your deck's consistency by a lot. Since Salamence's attacks require a lot of Colorless energy, add in another Double Colorless Energy to help you pay for the attack costs. Cut the Lady in favor of Professor's Letter if you're worried about not being able to find energy. As you run a way to search out energy, you can up your count of Fire energy and lower your count of Water energy, you don't really want to be attacking with Salamence GX anyways. Weakness Policy will offer better protection from potential Pikarom than Weakness Guard Energy will, you'll be able to attach it immediately and still get an energy attachment to a different Pokémon. N is a very popular supporter in Expanded so I would be wary about using attacks that search your deck for cards and put them into your hand. It's strong, but it'll mostly likely get disrupted. I'd opt for more draw power like Professor Sycamore and Cynthia instead of Starly and Bird Keeper. Currently, the only way you can search out the Pokemon you want is through the attacks of Starly or Talonflame. Add in some Winona to find your Colorless Pokemon and Ultra Ball and Nest Ball to find the rest.

1 hour ago, ellomello044208 said:

Salamence Spread is an interesting idea that can be quite effective. I have a few suggestions for you list. If you're trying to lock your opponent's Active Pokémon, also consider using Dragalgae whose ability, Poison Barrier, blocks your opponent from retreating their Active Pokémon if it's Poisoned. Playing Hypnotoxic Laser or Garbodor REC will give you an easy way to Poison your opponent's Active and keep them stuck. You can also consider running Propagation Exeggcute and a Roxie engine with Weezing CEC to put more damage into play. Run Trainer's Mail instead of Energy Retrieval as it increases your deck's consistency by a lot. Since Salamence's attacks require a lot of Colorless energy, add in another Double Colorless Energy to help you pay for the attack costs. Cut the Lady in favor of Professor's Letter if you're worried about not being able to find energy. As you run a way to search out energy, you can up your count of Fire energy and lower your count of Water energy, you don't really want to be attacking with Salamence GX anyways. Weakness Policy will offer better protection from potential Pikarom than Weakness Guard Energy will, you'll be able to attach it immediately and still get an energy attachment to a different Pokémon. N is a very popular supporter in Expanded so I would be wary about using attacks that search your deck for cards and put them into your hand. It's strong, but it'll mostly likely get disrupted. I'd opt for more draw power like Professor Sycamore and Cynthia instead of Starly and Bird Keeper. Currently, the only way you can search out the Pokemon you want is through the attacks of Starly or Talonflame. Add in some Winona to find your Colorless Pokemon and Ultra Ball and Nest Ball to find the rest.

Thank you for the advice! I will look into this! Should I use Dragalgae instead of or in addition to alolan dugtrio? I could see someone healing the poison with Pokemon center lady more easily than stopping the Dugtrio ability. I like the idea of the Roxie engine. I do think that I may keep some Bird Keeper because it gives you an extra retreat, which I will need, but I will cut the Starly in order to add more draw support! Thanks again!

I was thinking about using Dragalgae instead of Alolan Dugtrio and maybe also Galar Mine. If you need a Stadium, you can run Sea of Nothingness which blocks Special Conditions from being removed with Pokemon evolve/devolve. Or you can keep Galar Mine to have another way to block your opponent from moving their Active Pokemon, that's a good idea as well. For switching out your Active Pokemon, consider running Tate and Liza instead of Bird Keeper. You can only draw or switch your Active but it draws you more cards than Bird Keeper.

Edited by ellomello044208