Counters to Trevenant & Dusknior? (expanded)

Dirnt54

I've been tossing around a few ideas for Expanded decks lately, and my main problem is that nearly every match played against T&D (specifically, a 60-card proxy copy of Justin Bokhari's Regionals deck) ends up being an easy win for the T&D player. The fact that they can Ace Trainer you down to 3 cards after KO'ing a Milnotic and then put you down to 1 with T&D seems pretty insurmountable. The two I can think of are Oranguru to draw back up to three, but that's not super reliable and they usually run Alolan Muk or a Garbodor. Evil Admonition Hoopa is also an option since the opponent tends to play lots and lots of ability Pokemon like Shaymin and Dedenne, but also they also play Weakness Policy. Has anyone thought about this and does anyone have any other answers?

• Upvote 1

TreveNoir lock can be a really annoying deck to face. My main strategy when dealing with it is to out-speed it. If you can’t do that, going after any Ditto * or Feebas your opponent has in play is also a valid strategy. Your opponent won’t be able to set up the lock the turn after if they don’t have any Feebas or evolve into Milotic. They’ll be forced to go into a Horror House GX if they can and you should be able to set up a little more after that. Going into a Wobbuffet with Bide Barricade can also effectively stop the deck from cycling as it’s very reliant on having access to its Shaymin EX draw power. If you can find room for it, Marowak with Bodyguard will protect you and your hand from all effects of your opponent’s attacks so TreveNoir won’t be able to disrupt you. 

• Like 1

You can do the same (and more) in standard using jesse/james, mismagious or electrode gx and marnie/judge or reset stamp. Bringing them down to a zero card hand. If also combined with chip chip ice axe or orbeetle you can lock them into not drawing anything useful for the next turn or two which is almost always an easy victory. All legal and allowed in standard, yet this same strategy is exactly why jesse/james was banned from expanded format even before it was released! It is confusing/odd/strange why standard format allows broken combos while expanded is more monitored/patrolled/protected to not allow broken combos. I will never know why... 

• Upvote 1

Jessie and James with Weezing is a possible combination but it's not as powerful as you make it out to be @guruguy87. You need a lot of pieces and you need to hit all of the pieces without getting to play a draw supporter. Jessie and James was more likely banned from Expanded because they realized that with Propagation Exeggcute, you could turn the card into effectively, "Your opponent discards two cards from their hand," which is pretty broken.