Sign in to follow this  
Face_Shield

[CARD] Hone Claw

Face_Shield

Hello,

I’m still learning.  These may be bugs. If not, please clarify the rules...

1) I played Hone Claws on Galarian Meowth. Then evolved to Galarian Perrserker next turn and attack with Slash.  I did not get the bonus I expected.

2) I attached a rainbow energy to my Ditto.  I copied my opponent’s Charizard’s Continuous Blaze Ball. This caused Rainbow Energy to be discarded, however it is not at Fire energy.

Sombres9

Hone Claws loses its effect because they evolved, even if the attack has the same name.

Rainbow energy counts as all types of energy when attached, so it's also a fire energy. Charizard doesn't specify basic energy, so it must be discarded.

• Upvote 1

Face_Shield

Thanks for the reply.

should I expect to discard all special energies like this?

for example, will Speed <E> Energy be discarded by Mareep’s Shock Bolt?

RestlessThought

Yeah Face_Shield, because it says right on the cards: As long as this card [Speed Energy] is attached to a Pokémon, it provides Lightning Energy.

Mareep: Discard all Lightning Energy from this Pokémon.

On the other hand if you copied the Mareep's attack with, say, Ninetales V, Ninetales probably wouldn't have any Lightning energy on it so wouldn't need to discard energy at all when copying Shock Bolt.

Hone Claws didn't work because almost all effects are removed upon evolution, even beneficial ones, and when evolving it no longer counts as the same Pokemon (I guess to be fair, it does have a different name now...) It's a rather unintuitive gotcha. Same if a Pokemon goes to the bench, almost all effects will likewise be reset.

• Upvote 1

Face_Shield

Thanks for the info!

Sign in to follow this