Sign in to follow this  
guruguy87

Computer/AI on gold level doesn't attack?

guruguy87

So i have noticed that while in gold level the AI doesn't attack you even when they have the energy attached. (even on the 4th time playing them) Is this normal or some bug? Like it is ZERO CHALLENGE and extremely easy if they just sit there and don't attack. Like they randomly attack, but most of the time they can have the energy, yet still not attack. It is beyond silly and not a challenge. Why is this? I have played on the other 2 higher levels and it seems in those other levels they more often attack and go after you to get the win. Was gold level just designed to be too easy? 

• Upvote 1

Chasista

The whole AI is easy. Its A but it's no I. Just follow some simple patterns and once you get them, you can beat some trainers doing nothing (like Kendall if Dedenne is the active for example).

Sometimes if you don't attack, the AI does the same. Maybe wants to reflect human faults as forgetting to attach an energy (although this exact one doesn't happen to AI) or non attacking.

Weird as non attacking is to use the first weak attack even having the energy to do a second big hitting one. But it continues doing the first attack once and again in a lot of matches.

AI is there just for what it is. For challenge you need to play people.

The hardest challenge with the AI is probably play it with an HGSS era Theme. Do and tell me if it's a bit of challenge or not, even with the AI not attacking...

guruguy87

It isn't a challenge though.... I did have a more difficult interesting time with the awful "born of fire" deck (before they give you Arcanine, Rapidash, Persian, Ho-oh and Flareon) playing in city championship level. Seemed like some of the trainers were repeatedly attacking more often and actually trying to win especially trainer "Mick". They never retreat though and often bring out the wrong pokemon. Tons of mistakes made. I was trying to collect booster packs and explore with one of the weaker theme decks (fairy element Xerneas) to eventually build a somewhat quality fairy deck. 

I was reading through these forums and it seems like back in the day the trainer challenge was TOO CHALLENGING so looks like pokemon company made it far easier. For my style I don't really enjoy this as I prefer a challenge and even being "underdog", but I can see how many others were frustrated. It maybe would be cool if there was an toggle option for difficulty setting? So you can challenge yourself further if you want. The one cool part is the cards in the decks. Reading and learning what they do. When you play so much in vs especially in standard you see so very many of the same cards again and again. It is nice to play against something "fresh" or even partially fresh which is also where expanded gets fun. 

SandaledOtter
3 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

I was reading through these forums and it seems like back in the day the trainer challenge was TOO CHALLENGING so looks like pokemon company made it far easier....

I don't think they actually made it easier. The current round of starter decks is better than the older ones, the same way that the newer theme decks beat the old ones. That had the effect of making the challenge easier, though beginners will still frequently struggle with it.

Otakutron
6 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

I was reading through these forums and it seems like back in the day the trainer challenge was TOO CHALLENGING...

Take everything you read here with a grain of salt.  You'll find relatively recent threads talking about how "difficult" the Trainer Challenge is even now.  I honestly cannot remember if it used to be a little more challenging back in the day or not.  I vaguely recall it pretty much always skewing very easy, including stuff like the AI "forgetting" to attack, attaching a bunch of unneeded Energy (to the detriment of other strategies), etc.

guruguy87

Finished the trainer challenge a week ago. Platinum was again very easy too although Brittany had a good deck and of course as always Mick. I also found Cammie to be slightly challenging. Does anyone have advice one the "very easiest" trainer to beat up on with 12 wins with a theme deck to win more booster packs? I didn't take extreme notes while I played (like I do in VS) so I didn't keep track.  

SandaledOtter
Posted (edited)

I think you still need to beat 12 different trainers with the deck to get the bonus. Maybe skip over the more challenging ones, as you do have 36 choices between the 3 cups.

Edited by SandaledOtter

PikachuNo60
On 5/14/2020 at 9:20 PM, guruguy87 said:

So i have noticed that while in gold level the AI doesn't attack you even when they have the energy attached. (even on the 4th time playing them) Is this normal or some bug? Like it is ZERO CHALLENGE and extremely easy if they just sit there and don't attack. Like they randomly attack, but most of the time they can have the energy, yet still not attack. It is beyond silly and not a challenge. Why is this? I have played on the other 2 higher levels and it seems in those other levels they more often attack and go after you to get the win. Was gold level just designed to be too easy? 

Well, it is mostly because the bots are 100 IQ and cannot sweep your team. 

Seriously though, I think the game rolls a random dice to decide if the bot will attack. Chill, at least now it's easy enough!

Otakutron
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 7:15 AM, guruguy87 said:

Finished the trainer challenge a week ago. Platinum was again very easy too although Brittany had a good deck and of course as always Mick. I also found Cammie to be slightly challenging. Does anyone have advice one the "very easiest" trainer to beat up on with 12 wins with a theme deck to win more booster packs? I didn't take extreme notes while I played (like I do in VS) so I didn't keep track.  

Unless I'm dealing with pre-Sun & Moon decks, I grind the 12 wins on the hardest available difficulty, facing each of those Trainers once.  I forget what they call it, but the game acts like it is a big local tournament with some non-local players visiting. XP

Edited by Otakutron

Chasista
On 6/2/2020 at 2:15 PM, guruguy87 said:

Does anyone have advice one the "very easiest" trainer to beat up on with 12 wins with a theme deck to win more booster packs? I didn't take extreme notes while I played (like I do in VS) so I didn't keep track.  

Kendall in each of the leagues if you can make "her" promote Dedenne as active. Just don't add any energy and pass. She have 3 Sycamore and always deck-out. If does promote different pokémon, play as normal until Dedenne or just concede and wait for a Dedenne as her starting pokémon.

Some of the Daniel have a Dedenne in the deck too. Same although it doesn't have 3 Sycamore so it's slower.

That water decks guy with glasses makes something similar with some of their pokémon (Corsola?) that attacks are to bench a couple pokémon from discard or heal itself or draw, so never attacking, although you need to know he have a couple (or 3 can't remember exactly) Prof Birch in deck so sometimes is going to deck out and send all the hand to pile again so you could deck out if count was close to tie, depending your deck.

Next would be choose for weakness, your fire against grass or metal, your grass against water, fighting against lighting or colourless, etc. That will get you faster wins.

1st league should be easier too and no EXs, although sometimes EX will make you win faster as they need 3-4 energies for an attack and you get more prizes if you can KOem.

I don't think you need to take notes, at the end you know more or less what they play and what can be easier for your deck. HGSS era decks and even some B/W can need some tries to beat the AI but yet can be done and you have that 3/5 Kendall/pals free wins with any deck, old or new, that helps.

• Like 1

guruguy87

Yup indeed!! thanks

Sakura150612
Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2020 at 4:59 AM, PikachuNo60 said:

Well, it is mostly because the bots are 100 IQ and cannot sweep your team. 

Kinda off-topic, but let me remind you that 100 IQ is largely considered to be average. Even in the "smartest" countries in the world the average IQ is of around 108 or so. Obviously individuals can go much higher, but 100 isn't bad by any metric. I guess the 200 IQ jokes have gone a little too far if there are actually people who think 100 is low xd If the AI had the equivalent of as much as 100 IQ, it'd be tough to tell the difference between a bot and a human player.

Edited by Sakura150612
  • Like 1

Otakutron
22 hours ago, Sakura150612 said:

Kinda off-topic, but let me remind you that 100 IQ is largely considered to be average. Even in the "smartest" countries in the world the average IQ is of around 108 or so. Obviously individuals can go much higher, but 100 isn't bad by any metric. I guess the 200 IQ jokes have gone a little too far if there are actually people who think 100 is low xd If the AI had the equivalent of as much as 100 IQ, it'd be tough to tell the difference between a bot and a human player.

Aye.  To be fair, most folks have a poor understanding of IQ, as well as how complex the human brain is, and its actual processing power.  The short version is, at least back in the late 90's, I was told the human brain was far more powerful of a "computer" than a super computer.  That's why Alakazam's Pokédex entries always sound weird to me.  Computers outperform (most) of us at math because of certain features, like being able to direct most of their processing power on a single task; keeping your desktop running is nothing compared to keeping a human body running.

• Like 2

guruguy87

I have dabbled in this topic a bit in my younger years. As equations change quotients change thus the intelligence quotient is not stagnant just as life is not stagnant and instead vibrantly active/alive and ever changing. The key in understanding human behavior is it operates in patterns. This is also true when it comes to the ability to increase IQ. There have been a large number of studies shown that the more we "flex" our brain to think creatively the more that it starts to show an increase in ability and computational power. Whereas a mind that is "not working" and only living in a repeating similar schedule of the same simple equations does not advance/challenge it. We need to always be learning and collecting information. It is inherently within us. I forget who the philosopher was who said "People are dumb, individuals are smart", but that is immensely true. As individuals often surprise and create wonderful things with creativity whereas the majority of people in the copycat kingdom do what others do on repeat. Much of this is a lack of effort in the apathy of aristocracy. Being the assumption of knowledge or royalty without the merit of proof. The cool part is we each have the choice to be individuals and use critical thinking skills and increase IQ. People just need to take more practice in advancing their minds to question deeper and/or always be learning. There must be a quest for knowledge because as the world is alive we must always be aware of the current changes impacting everything. (just like how one single card slightly changes a deck, or on a more complex level how multiple deck engines working together achieves the ultimate synergy, but must be changed/edited as the meta changes)

Sign in to follow this