Sign in to follow this  
ThomasJoJayhawk

New Here - What Are the Rules!?

ThomasJoJayhawk
Posted (edited)

Hello, new friends!

I'm super new the Pokemon TCG, but I'm hooked and I love it!  I'll be sorting my 4 year old son's cards into a deck later today!

I have been defeated in the trainer challenge section of the online game without knowing why I was defeated.  I'm not terrible, so these defeats are due to something I'm completely unaware of.  Is there a way to find out WHY you lose a trainer challenge?  And is there a place that has all the gameplay rules??  I want to do well, so any information is helpful.  Thank you in advance!

Edited by ThomasJoJayhawk

ThomasJoJayhawk

Thank you so much, @Otakutron!!!  I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

Otakutron

You're welcome.  Go ahead and read at least the rule book and see if you can answer your own questions.  At least, if you're not needing an immediate answer.  Working it out for yourself should help you more in the long run, but if you do need a quick answer, we'll probably need more info.  I'll include a guess behind spoiler tags just in case you can't wait. ;)

Spoiler

There are multiple win conditions in the Pokémon TCG, but the most common is taking all your Prize Cards - those six cards you set aside at the start of the game - before your opponent achieves a different win condition.  This is usually done through attacking your opponent's Pokémon with your own until you've damaged them enough to score a Knock Out.  Appropriately enough, this is sometimes referred to as "winning by KO."

Probably the next most common way to win or - depending on your perspective - lose is through "Bench Out."  This occurs when your only remaining Pokémon is Knocked Out or otherwise forced to leave the field, and you have nothing on your Bench to promote to replace it.  At that point, you lose the game!

Another popular - though not always effective - way to win is through your opponent running out of cards in their deck.  In Pokémon, you lose if you cannot draw a card at the start of your turn.  You don't officially lose until that point; good news if you just had to discard cards from your deck during your own turn, and can now use a different effect to refill your deck, but cold comfort if your opponent emptied out your deck during their turn, when you cannot do anything about it.  This is referred to as "Decking Out" or "winning through Deck Out".

I'm guessing you lost due to Bench out or Deck out.  The following two aren't possible in the Trainer Challenge, but know they exist:

There is no time limit or PTCGO matches in the Trainer Challenge, but each player is given 25:00 minutes for most other forms of play, and 12:30 minutes for Event (tournament) games.  If you don't do anything for a minute or two (I forget the exact limit) you'll get a 10-second countdown until your turn ends automatically, and I think you have less time before it happens again.  Seems complicated, but it is more complicated for a game like this to have no time limit at all, or have one you'd have to sit through if your opponent gets called away and doesn't concede, or gets disconnected but it doesn't register on the PTCGO's end.  You can call a win like this a victory by Time Out... but only I do that, because I'm silly and like patterns that much. ;)

Finally, there are certain cards with alternate win conditions printed on them.  Most of these are only legal for the Unlimited Format, and if there is one still legal in Expanded or Standard, it just isn't very good that's why it wasn't banned like the others.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ThomasJoJayhawk

@OtakutronI was running out of cards in my deck!  I was getting so frustrated because I was doing well and couldn't understand why I was suddenly defeated!  Thank you for your guidance.  I'll read the whole rule book for sure, but this was extremely helpful!  THANK YOU!

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this