kahwai218

How & Where do you start the game as a beginner:

kahwai218
Posted (edited)
How & Where do you start the game as a beginner:
  1. Trainer Challenge
    • Every packs you awarded here are locked (Untradable). This is usually where you start to learn the basic rules of the game and also the win condition.
    • Result here does not contribute to the Ladders or Daily Challenge.
  2. Versus - Theme Mode
    • Theme Mode is a game played by only using ready-made deck by Pokemon. You can get one in the in-game shop for 500 golds.
    • This is where you start to learn some of the latest Pokemon and Trainer cards.
    • Highly recommendable for beginner.
  3. Events - Theme
    • In order to participate events, you need Tickets. Tickets is obtainable through either the ladder or randomize in game rewards.
    • Packs / Chest awarded are tradable. You can grind for more packs to trade for cards you need in the future.
  4. Daily Challenge
    • The total level for this is 30. It derived from 10 elements with 3 level each.
    • The tricky part is packs awarded here are locked unless you are level 15-17 and above.
  5. Monthly Ladder (3 weeks) 
    • Rewards awarded are all locked (untradable). This is usually where you try to accumulate more points for the FA supporter at the end of the ladder.
    • Packs rewarded is usually rotated between standard pack and expanded pack. ( Jan - Standard Pack, Feb - Expanded Pack, Mar - Standard Pack...)
    • Every win contributes 10 point, and if you win with disadvantage, you will earn 5 points extra, that sums up to 15 point.
      1. Every winning streak gains you extra 5 points, up to maximum 20 points. Eg: Win 1 - 10 points, Win 2 - 15 points, Win 3 - 20 points, .... up to Win 5 and above - 30 points. 
    • Every lose contributes no points. However, for every prize you taken in the game you lost, you gain 1 point, which means maximum coin you can get in a game that you lost is 5. 
  •  

I hope it helps. For those who are experienced, feel free to comment so we can improvise this better. Cheers Mate.
Edited by kahwai218
Typo
  • Downvote 1

SandaledOtter
Posted (edited)

5.4 For the beginner, it is true that you likely won't take more than 5 prizes in a game you lose, but there are ways the number could increase.

1.  There are cards which manipulate the number of prize cards. If you take a bunch and then more get added, you might take more.
  2.  If the players both take the 6th prize card at the same time, the winner is determined either by the number of win conditions you met, or a 1-prize "rematch."

I don't know if the game will reward more than 5 points for these, but is likely.

Edited by SandaledOtter

Otakutron

Trying to type this quickly, so please pardon the disjointed and rambling nature:

First, go through what you've got and check the wording.  For example:

13 hours ago, kahwai218 said:

Every win contributes 10 point, and if you win with disadvantage, you will earn 5 points extra, that sums up to 15 point.

• Every winning streak gains you extra 5 coins, up to maximum 20 coins. Eg: Win 1 - 10 coin, Win 2 - 15 coin, Win 3 - 20 coin, .... up to Win 5 and above - 30 coin. 

Note: Changes the list to the "dot" format because, when quoting it as a number, it changes it from "3" to "1". XP  Speaking of change, you start out (correctly) talking about "points", but then switch to "coins", which makes it sounds like a Reward Streak's bonus is just more Tokens, as opposed to more Points (or whatever they're called) on the ladder.

Starting with Trainer and Theme Mode is highly recommend.  Period.  If you're an experienced Pokémon TCG player, you may not need as long with them, but at least a few games to get used to how playing the game on the PTCGO is different from playing with physical cards in person (in the Trainer Challenge), then how that changes further against playing another person (Theme Format).

If you're a budget player, the Theme Format is your friend.  Not just because you could choose to simply stick with it, thus you (at most) would need only grind out enough Tokens to get the next expansions decks to keep up, but because you can just learn how to do reasonably well there to grind Theme Events (tournaments) for packs, to then trade for what you need for your actual Standard, Expanded, or Legacy Format decks.

Plus, it is a good way to test your skills, as your local venues can be very misleading; big fish in a small pond and all.  You can test how good you are at learning decklists, predicting moves based on a known decklist, and handling the the lower power level of the Theme Format before diving into the deep end with one of the other Formats.  The Theme Format involves more luck than the other three (usually), but if you play a while in the Theme Format and think it is purely luck-based (whether your record is good, bad, or in between), then it is a good bet that Pokémon isn't for you.  At least, in my experience. ;)

You should mention the Daily Log In bonuses.  Even someone with very little time to play and/or struggling to complete challenges or win with the default decks can still slowly save up for their first in-game purchased Theme Deck thanks to the Tokens.  It also means a small but steady supply of Event Tickets and Tradelocked booster packs.

Packs that can be traded are the "currency" of the PTCGO In-Game Item Exchange, so don't open them lightly.  If you really want to, go ahead, but understand that even if the cards you pull technically have a trade value equal to or greater than the value of the pack, you have to actually take the time,  make the effort, and (sometimes) have the luck of finding someone willing to trade you something of equal or greater value.  Trading is practically its own game; meaning doing it well requires a lot of skill and a little luck.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

guruguy87

^disjointed and rambling nature, sounds like me! lol. (and most of us if we are honest with ourselves)
This was a helpful post regarding coins. The points vs coins thing confused me a bit above until you clarified. 

I do have a question about our ratings/rankings and if the win/loss record is any part of it or is the ratings "advantage" all solely based on total points/coins overall accumulated. Or is there even another hidden way that is used to rank us? Basically what are the rankings based on? If it just overall wins, then the best strategy to increase rank is just fast win and concede if struggling. (it sadly seems too many players are doing this which makes some of the daily challenges very difficult to finish)... I ponder if maybe it was made not possible to concede unless after xyz amount of turns? (at least 5?) If ranking is based is an overall win/loss ratio than trying to win every hard fought battle is the best way to maintain a solid rank. I always play to win and very rarely concede. (plus as a coach once said "You play to win the game" haha) 

Sakura150612
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

I do have a question about our ratings/rankings and if the win/loss record is any part of it or is the ratings "advantage" all solely based on total points/coins overall accumulated. Or is there even another hidden way that is used to rank us? Basically what are the rankings based on? If it just overall wins, then the best strategy to increase rank is just fast win and concede if struggling.

The "advantage" symbol has nothing to do with points or Tokens, it's merely a representation of how much higher or lower your hidden skill rating (**** is compared to your current opponent. The actual number of your rating as well as the factors that influence it are a secret, but through logic you can figure out what things could influence it and what can't. Something like your VS ladder points wouldn't matter because it's a number that you can just grind if you dump enough time into the game, which isn't indicative of your skill (some players can play thousands of games an never improve). There's also the fact that the points reset every 21 days, so there'd be no point in trying to use them as a measurement of your skill. Tokens don't matter either since they can also be grinded if you play enough and they can be spend, and obviously skill can't be "spent" so there's no way that Tokens would factor into your MMR.

I don't think W/L ratio is a direct factor influencing your MMR, but individual victories and losses in all likeliness do. Also, I think it's logical to think that the game is more generous with your MMR changes when playing against a stronger opponent and more punishing when playing against a weaker opponent (against someone with the "advantage" you earn more MMR if you win and lose less if you lose the match, against an opponent when you have the advantage it's the opposite). This means that conceding quickly in tough matches should actually hurt your hidden skill rating because all losses make you lose MMR. If you honestly cared about your MMR, you would play every game to the end because you lose 100% of the games you concede but will almost always have a slim chance of winning a bad game. Not that I would recommend that though. Some games are worth playing to the end even if you're playing from behind, but some games you just know you lost already and there's no reason not to scoop and move on. 

14 hours ago, guruguy87 said:

I ponder if maybe it was made not possible to concede unless after xyz amount of turns? (at least 5?)

It's been discussed many times already, and the short answer would be "no". You can't force a player to play a game they don't want to play. If you literally blocked the option of conceding before the 5th turn then people would just afk and come back in 10 more minutes when it's over. It would help complete challenges but it wouldn't be fun for either player. I don't like being held hostage in a game I literally can't win, and if I'm the one winning, I don't wanna play solitaire against an afk player for 5 turns, I'd rather they just get the option to scoop so that I can play against someone else.

Edited by Sakura150612

guruguy87

Wish that hidden skill rating wasn't hidden... "(some players can play thousands of games an never improve)" yup so true. 

"I don't like being held hostage in a game I literally can't win, and if I'm the one winning, I don't wanna play solitaire against an afk player for 5 turns, I'd rather they just get the option to scoop so that I can play against someone else."

This is a fair and valid point. For the most part I agree, yet I have pulled off some excellent comeback wins. I BELIEVE in the decks I build until it is at the point where I see my knockout, but even then my opponent sometimes misses it and does the very incorrect play so I don't concede anymore unless I have one basic and it is going to get KO because have their attacker energized and ready to attack me next turn. I'm probably pretty annoying to play against. lol. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Sakura150612

No problem :)