GoodR__

59 Mulligans??

GoodR__

As the title suggest, today (4/22/2020) I've encountered a 59 Mulligans taken by the opponent side. Is this allowed? or rather is this even possible?

Chasista
Posted (edited)

Welcome.

Possible? Yes and no.

Can happen 59 times? Yes = Can get 59 Mulligan. Can take 59 cards? No.

47 is the maximum I think. 60 cards - 7 to hand -6 to prizes = 47 in pile.

Can they get all 47 cards? Yes. Should they? No card to draw at the beginning of the turn so an auto loose.

Edited by Chasista

GoodR__
1 minute ago, Chasista said:

Welcome.

Possible? Yes and no.

Can happen 59 times? Yes. Can get 59 Mulligan? No.

47 is the maximum I think. 60 cards - 7 to hand -6 to prizes = 47 in pile.

Can they get all 47? Yes. Should they? No card to draw at the beginning of the turn so an auto loose.

Thank you for the reply

Okay, so it is possible for the system to do 59 mulligan until they get basic pokemon in their hands?   

Chasista
Posted (edited)

You're welcome.

Edited to be a bit more clear between getting Mulligan and taking the cards of the Mulligan.

For the system? It's automated. Is there a basic? No => Shuffle and draw again. Basic? No => Shuffle and draw. Basic? No... etc.

I don't think the system can do anything different.

I don't know any rule regarding the maximum Mulligan that can be gotten tho but I'm not a big expert. Never went to read the whole rulebook to check that kind of loose ends.

Edited by Chasista
typo

SandaledOtter

There is no rule governing how many mulligans can be taken. You could take hundreds of mulligans before finding a Basic Pokemon, though that will probably never happen.

For the sake of expediting play, the physical game may allow a tournament judge to decide that an alternate method of drawing a hand will be used if excessive mulligans occur. This almost always means there's only one basic in the deck, so they'll find the first basic they see and pull it out to be one of the 7 cards drawn.

The online game doesn't do this, as far as any player can tell, because the shuffling is so much faster. It might do it, we don't know for certain, but there's no evidence for it.

A game cannot be started without a basic Pokemon in each player's active position, so mulligans need to continue until a legal hand is drawn. Other games will allow fewer mulligans because not having an attacker/defender is not an instant loss in those games.