Advice for My New Deck

hunter328

Thanks, Otakutron, you Da man!  Lots of good info!

Here’s my deck after some changes.  I just won a game I was sure I was going to get killed on.  My opponent’s deck seemed to be doing everything she wanted it to, and she had a bench filled with GXs, TagTeams, and Vs, a Sableye at first that kept cycling that discard for a dark or psychic Pokémon card, two different TagTms with Reshiram and something fire, and Zekrom with somebody.  And I didn’t think I could win because I can’t get more than 210 counters on Wobbuffet.  But right before that match I’d added Drifblim (my only copy). I had drifloon out the turn before, incensed to get drifblim, had no energy in hand but drifloon had one already so I retreated Wobbuffet, taking his recycle energy, put drifloon as active, evolved, moved 40 to each of my pokes, and booyah, boom went the dynamite!  Then, after two straight flip a coin to switch opponent’s active with benched getting tails earlier (to which she emoted me happy faces and hearts) I got heads two turns in a row and the beat down was in full effect!!!

Such an awesome match in such an awesome game!  And the win is 90% at least to you guys’ ****** (special props to Sak, WoF, and Otak)!

I need to make a trade for some drifblims.  I’m not seeing much offered and non for what I have.  I’m guessing it’s not very sought after.  So with something like that, should I ask for other stuff as well as the drifblims?  I’ve seen trades where people have thrown in over 50 commons and uncommons with one rare for just one SwSh pack.  I wish I could offer one SwSh pack for 3 Drifblooms and all the cruddy commons and uncommons you want to add but there’s no option for that.

Whats the best way to go about a trade like that?  It’ll be my first real created trade, although I’ve done a few others have created.

Oh yeah, feel free to add me in game.  Make sure to send me a message in game telling me your from here so I know it’s not just a random person if you do.

Thanks again everyone.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I was super sick the last two days and didn’t even log in to get my daily rewards but thankfully I’m better and it wasn’t anything Covid-19 serious.  Probably just a Covid-4 or Covid-5.  Maybe an 8, but nothing higher than that.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations!  Yeah, Drifblim absolutely makes sense in this deck.

When it comes to trades, use bulk trades where you basically just get rid of everything you don't need that might have value, just to get some extra packs.  Or don't; I don't bother with this because it usually doesn't work. XP

You're over-complicating trading at this point.  Drifblim is an Uncommon, and not one in high demand.  I'm uncertain as to how many Drifblim you should try to get, but why not start by asking for 3 Drifblim and however-many-you-need of Drifloon for 1 SWSH pack (or whatever you have that is equal to "one pack").  Post it as an 8 hour trade, and if no one takes it, make a note of it and then post a slightly more favorable trade for the next 8 hours.

I forget, what Tools are you using in this deck?  If it is Standard-legal, then Big Charm and Spell Tag would be great for your deck.  Of course, not for too much longer, given that Tool Scrapper is about to be reprinted.  Still, even when it is back most decks won't be maxing it out so those Tools are still probably worth it.  Do you have any of those?  How about Mysterious Treasure?

• Upvote 1

Nope.  Be nice if we could, but sometimes we don't have the knowledge, the time, and/or the patience to help.  Some folks also lack the time or patience to receive help, answering follow-up questions or becoming annoyed when they don't understand.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Otakutron said:

Nope.  Be nice if we could, but sometimes we don't have the knowledge, the time, and/or the patience to help.  Some folks also lack the time or patience to receive help, answering follow-up questions or becoming annoyed when they don't understand.

That's pretty much how it goes.

I don't really have a criteria as to which threads I post more in. Sometimes I see a thread asking for help, take interest and things just flow from there. I usually post more on threads that I've already posted in once since I like to give follow up to my advice, but even then I don't always have time. I had not come back to this thread to give more advice (or post much in the forums at all) in the last couple of days because I've been a bit busy. It must feel a bit bad for people who post similar threads but see no replies for no apparent reason, but it's really just a coincidence and not a problem of the poster or of the thread. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2020 at 9:13 PM, Otakutron said:

Congratulations!  Yeah, Drifblim absolutely makes sense in this deck.

When it comes to trades, use bulk trades where you basically just get rid of everything you don't need that might have value, just to get some extra packs.  Or don't; I don't bother with this because it usually doesn't work. XP

You're over-complicating trading at this point.  Drifblim is an Uncommon, and not one in high demand.  I'm uncertain as to how many Drifblim you should try to get, but why not start by asking for 3 Drifblim and however-many-you-need of Drifloon for 1 SWSH pack (or whatever you have that is equal to "one pack").  Post it as an 8 hour trade, and if no one takes it, make a note of it and then post a slightly more favorable trade for the next 8 hours.

I forget, what Tools are you using in this deck?  If it is Standard-legal, then Big Charm and Spell Tag would be great for your deck.  Of course, not for too much longer, given that Tool Scrapper is about to be reprinted.  Still, even when it is back most decks won't be maxing it out so those Tools are still probably worth it.  Do you have any of those?  How about Mysterious Treasure?

Ok, that makes sense as far as the trades go, thank you!

Mysterious treasure, if I’m thinking of the right card (I think it came in my Necrozma theme deck) I do have.  I’ll have to check on the other two, but thank you for suggesting them.  If I don’t I still have close to a hundred packs left for trades so I could get them.

One quick question for you or anyone who sees this, I’ve yet to spend any coins, so I’ve got just over 8k.  I’m thinking of using them on packs from the new set so I can get at least a base of those cards to build from.  
Is this a good/bad idea?  I feel I’m still so unfamiliar with so many aspects of the game that I’m hesitant to use it’s currency in case there’s something important it should be reserved for that I haven’t yet realized.

Thank you again!!!

52 minutes ago, hunter328 said:

One quick question for you or anyone who sees this, I’ve yet to spend any coins, so I’ve got just over 8k.  I’m thinking of using them on packs from the new set so I can get at least a base of those cards to build from.  
Is this a good/bad idea?  I feel I’m still so unfamiliar with so many aspects of the game that I’m hesitant to use it’s currency in case there’s something important it should be reserved for that I haven’t yet realized.

Thank you again!!!

You may want to purchase some Theme Decks, either ones with cards you already need, or that are competitive in the Theme Format (hey, I play the Theme Format a lot and I'm far from a newbie).

Other than that, yeah, buy up. :) Just save enough Tokens back to cover the cost of posting trades.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hunter328 said:

Thank you again!!!

Yeah, that's a good idea. It's what I'm gonna be doing anyways xd But like Otakutron said, make sure you've got all the Theme Decks you need first and leave a couple of Tokens for trading. It's been mentioned before, but I think that the Theme Decks that are really worth buying right now are: Towering Heights, Rilaboom, Relentless Flame, Laser Focus and Soaring Storm. Unseen Depths is also a good purchase, and Blazing Volcano is still good (but not on the same level as the others I mentioned. Can't say anything about the 2 new Theme Decks because I haven't used them yet, but I will be buying both to test them, I have way too many Tokens anyways xd Anyway, I'd say buy at least 3 of those first 5 decks (if you haven't already), keep a few Tokens for trading (I keep 1000 in reserve because even though I realistically don't need to keep more than 300-500 I'm weirdly obsessive about certain things and it just bugs me to see the count drop below 1000 xd). After that, you can spend all your Tokens on the new expansion.

EDIT: forget keeping 1000 in reserve, I had the perfect amount of Tokens to buy 69 packs. That'll put me at 300 reserve Tokens or so, but I'm such a memelord I can't resist xd

Edited by Sakura150612
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sakura150612 said:

even though I realistically don't need to keep more than 300-500 I'm weirdly obsessive about certain things and it just bugs me to see the count drop below 1000 xd).

Lol, exactly how I am.  I play Hearthstone a lot and I’ve got over 30k dust (if you don’t play, that’s a lot) but I’m so reluctant to spend it.  In the back of my mind something is always saying, you’ll need it more later!

Ive got Rillaboom, Relentless Flame, Laser Focus, Lightning Loop, and Ring of Lightning, along with Mental Might, Hidden Depths, Crushing Current, Born of Fire, Rallying Cry, and Basic Green, Blue, and Red, as far as theme decks go.  I’ll check out Soaring a Storm and Towering Heights.  
Some of my theme decks don’t show up on the trainer challenge though, like Mental Might and Rallying Cry.  Why is that?

I’d like to get where I could complete any daily quest with theme decks in Vs, but (at least from what I’ve seen) some types aren’t represented very well.  Like there may be a deck or two with Fairy, Dragon, or Dark, but those types are so outnumbered in their own decks with colorless or another type that relying on the cards of one of those types to do all the damage, get KO’s, or evolve would take forever.

I’ve been mostly just not picking quests of those types.  When I do I’ve built a few really horrible decks that have absolutely no chance of winning but can at least, for instance, be relied on to evolve enough of that type in only 1-2 matches to complete the quest.  I don’t like doing that though as I’m sure it’s no fun for the opponent, although they are getting a sure fire victory.

One of the new theme decks, I think the Zacian one, I’ve already got all but maybe 3 cards and their copies.  It’s too bad you can’t just build the theme decks.  The other one, Zamenzenta a think, is mostly made up of the new set.  I think I’d get that one.

Thanks again, Otak and Sak!  You all are like my own personal Jirachis or Cleffas, bringing me knowledge and good fortune!  Let me know if I can ever help out in any way to return the many favors.  Like, if you need any B/W Chatots.  I’ve got a ton.  It’s my most owned card according to my stats, although come to think of it, they may all be locked.  Anyway, if there’s ever anything, let me know (maybe I could be a crash test dummy to test your decks on or something).

• Upvote 1

I am obsessive too. I freak out when I go below 100 coins 😂

I actually love Chatot @hunter328. He's one of my favs XD.

I know I haven't helped a ton. But, I've been happy to help with what I've done! I would actually love to play some matches with you sometime if you wanted too. You could just let me know when you're available if you want to 😀

• Upvote 1

Dude, you’ve helped enormously!  You’re my personal Grimer!  
Just kidding, how about Celebi?

And definitely, I’d love to play sometime, anytime.  I think we’re already friends in the game, so whenever you see me on feel free to give a shout out and we’ll play or trade or whatever.

Do you, or does anyone, know much about the trade section here on the forums?  Is that a good place to find people to trade, especially if it’s cards that no one usually trades for?

I’m thinking I might post there first and see.  I’m just really worried/stingy about losing coins on posting a trade no one either sees or is way off value wise b/c of my ignorance.

I almost posted one just now in game, looking for two Team Up Drifblims, and two SwSh Toxicroaks.  I was going to add in 3 Zubats, 3 Golbats, and 1-2 Crobats from UnB and offer 1-2 SwSh packs, but I’ve really got no idea what to offer.

Oh, yeah, was meaning to ask someone: Is it normal right after a set is released to see tons of trades asking for like 3 or 4 times the number of the last set for packs of the new one?  I’m hoping it is and that this goes away and doesn’t mean my SwSh packs lost 3/4 of their value overnight.  Or maybe the new set is just really good?  I definitely don’t feel comfortable trading 3-4 SwSh packs for one RC, or one RC and 3 clothing items.  I see that a lot.  It makes it look at first like it’s an even trade but once you open it you see the extra numbers of what you’d be getting aren’t packs but like virtual Pikachu socks or something.  Do people actually want those things or are those trades trying to scam people?  I mean, I’d probably go a few packs for a Dunsparce hoodie, or a Trubbish bandanna, but who wouldn’t, right?  But Pikachu socks?  Who’s going to even see them?  I don’t know, maybe they’re heated with electric insulation, but it looks fishy to me.

Ok, I’ve got to run to Walmart for milk and cereal, but most likely I’ll be on for a bit playing and opening packs (so fun) later.

Thanks, WoF!

• Upvote 1

Hmm. I like Grimer better than Celebi though XD. I'll probably be on for a bit during Monday, but I don't know for sure. Whenever I get on, I'll see if you're on!

The trade section here is okay. It's kind of a toss up whether people will have what you need\want what you offer. You could ask for some advice concerning your trade(s), then set it up on game.

SwSh doesn't lose all of its value, but it loses a good amount. Yes, it is normal for people to ask for high amounts to start. It should go down at least 1-2 packs overtime. The new set is pretty good, but it isn't amazing (yet). I don't know really, as it's hard to predict when the set is brand new. They are not scams, as plenty of people accept them. People do offer odd things, and you'll see some wacky deals a lot XD.

Oh and your trade, that seems slightly overpaying. Lose 1 Zubat, Golbat, and try to lose one Crobat. Definently lose a SW&SH pack. Those are just my opinions 😉

Make sure you get some Captain ' Crunch for me!

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 2:14 PM, WingsofFire1014 said:

I am obsessive too. I freak out when I go below 100 coins 😂

I actually love Chatot @hunter328. He's one of my favs XD.

I know I haven't helped a ton. But, I've been happy to help with what I've done! I would actually love to play some matches with you sometime if you wanted too. You could just let me know when you're available if you want to 😀

Hey, man.  I can’t figure out how to PM anyone here so I figured I’d just do this.  I looked and have 4 Sycamores but their all trade locked.  Sorry.

It was great being able to play a few matches with you!  Sorry I wasn’t much of a challenge.  I swear both those decks come out much better every other time I’ve played them.  Just my luck they make me look like I’ve got no clue when I face someone I know.  It’s like the looney tunes cartoon with the singing frog (I don’t know if they still play those, might be too old a reference, but it was on all the time when I was a kid).

If I do get any Sycamores that aren’t locked I’ll save em for ya, especially since I’ve got 4 and won’t need them.

take it easy

35 minutes ago, hunter328 said:

Hey, man.  I can’t figure out how to PM anyone here so I figured I’d just do this.  I looked and have 4 Sycamores but their all trade locked.  Sorry.

It was great being able to play a few matches with you!  Sorry I wasn’t much of a challenge.  I swear both those decks come out much better every other time I’ve played them.  Just my luck they make me look like I’ve got no clue when I face someone I know.  It’s like the looney tunes cartoon with the singing frog (I don’t know if they still play those, might be too old a reference, but it was on all the time when I was a kid).

If I do get any Sycamores that aren’t locked I’ll save em for ya, especially since I’ve got 4 and won’t need them.

take it easy

Wait, Professor Sycamores? There must be a slight confusion. I actually have like 12 or those. Hmm, it's okay 😉

To PM me, you can just go to my profile page and there will be an option there in the middle of the screen. Just click on my pic on this post to get to my profile. Same applies for others.

It's fine mate. I had fun, and  don't think that I didn't have fun playing with you. You might know me, but you don't know my decks, and that's okay 😉

I'm pretty sure that they still play Looney Tunes, but I don't tune in anymore. How many lumps would you like? Errr, thwee or four..... (Classic reference XD).I

Take it easy to my friend.

1 hour ago, hunter328 said:

It’s like the looney tunes cartoon with the singing frog (I don’t know if they still play those, might be too old a reference, but it was on all the time when I was a kid).

I may be an anime nut that knows very little of western animation, but even I got that reference xd Good old looney tunes, used to watch them on TV all the time back when I was a little runt. That song in burned into my brain forever xd Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal...

• Downvote 1

On 5/5/2020 at 9:12 PM, Sakura150612 said:

I may be an anime nut that knows very little of western animation, but even I got that reference xd Good old looney tunes, used to watch them on TV all the time back when I was a little runt. That song in burned into my brain forever xd Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal...

Lol, exactly! I’ll bet twice a year that song gets into my head and I’m singing it all day.

For some reason when I try to PM people I can’t get the box where you enter the actual message text to open up for my cursor to type.  Is it just me or is anyone else having this problem? Do I need to allow some kind of permission preference or something?

I ask because I’ve got a code for free stuff in Pokémon go that I was going to send to one of you for all your help if you play that.  I just actually started playing shortly after starting this game.

1 minute ago, hunter328 said:

Lol, exactly! I’ll bet twice a year that song gets into my head and I’m singing it all day.

For some reason when I try to PM people I can’t get the box where you enter the actual message text to open up for my cursor to type.  Is it just me or is anyone else having this problem? Do I need to allow some kind of permission preference or something?

I ask because I’ve got a code for free stuff in Pokémon go that I was going to send to one of you for all your help if you play that.  I just actually started playing shortly after starting this game.

In your profile on the official Pokemon website, you can change your account to open in the PTCGO settings section. However, I can't do it either. I thought it was because I have warning points (long story) right now. But, it told me that no restrictions were being applied, but I thought that they were. Now I'm even more confused that you can't do it either, but check to see if your account is open.

You are a very generous and kind person @hunter328! Sadly, I don't play Pokemon GO, so some other fellow trainer can have them 😉

• 3 weeks later...